1996 seadoo

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisseado

Hello, I have a 1996 seadoo gtx with the 787 in it. I have installed a new starter button and no power is going to the start button and I have no spark when I jump the starter. Power is going into the elctronic module (MPEM) and no power is coming out of the MPEM. Is my electronic module (MPEM) in need of replacement?

Is you beeper working? A working beeper will help troubelshoot the ski. You could have a bad key, incorrect key or a bad DESS post. Check your fuses.

One thing you need to check is if you have two wires connected to the battery ground. One wire should come from the rear electrical box the other is a larger ground from the engine. If that wire is not connected the ski won't do anything. Check all your grounds. Good Luck.

Hello etemplet, the beeper is not working but when putting in the key I do get dash lights and yes I have all wires connected to the battery. I tryed it with a key I bought from amazon and the original key that I got. When I try each one I get dash lights but no click or anything from the starter button and I replaced the solenoid. I found I have power going into the electronic module and none coming out of it. Maybe I need a new electronic module (mpem)? Do you think I may need a new electronic module (Mpem)? - thank you

If you didn't have the MPEM matched to the key it won't work. An operating beeper will tell you if the key is being recognized. One long beep and the key is not recognized. Two short chirps and the ski should be ready to start. Replace the beeper or get it working and that will be helpful.

Last edited:
I have the original key and post still in the ski. When I put the original key on the original post I get dash light but I do not get a chirp. The wiring diagram is showing the wire for the beeper and starter button going to the electronic module and when I teated the wire coming out of the electronic module going to the starter button I had no power coming from that wire but however I have power going to the electronic module

The start button does not get power from the MPEM. It just shorts ground to an MPEM input. If you just press the start button, without a key on the post, the gauges should light up for about 30 seconds. If they do then the MPEM is recognizing the start button. You will also not get spark if you just jump across the solenoid to get the starter to crank.
As etemplet said, the buzzer is very important to tell if the MPEM is recognizing the key and other problem codes. You should check connections to it and replace it if it is bad. I have never tried this and my ski is not local to me to try it. There is a connector in the front under the cowl behind the front storage box. It has 2 wires (Purple with a Tan stripe and Tan with a Black stripe) that go to the buzzer which is in the handlebars under the cover. I think if you put a 12 volt test light on the connector pins that come from the MPEM, it should flash the code that would be sent to the buzzer. You could also put a volt meter on those lines but it might not register fast enough to tell if there are 2 short beeps. Like I said, I never tried this so it may not work. It is only a test to use until the buzzer is fixed.

Ok thank you for you advice artr. Ill have to try that. Ill let you know what happens when I try this. When I was jumping the starter I didnt use the solenoid I put cables directly on the negative and positive posts on the starter and got no spark. Thanks

Hi, maybe I can help. I own both a 96 and 97 GTX (luv these) and had the exact same issue you have with my 96. I spent hours tracing wires, replacing solenoid, checked starter etc... and when examining the wiring diagrams, I noticed that the 96 employs a separate "relay assembly" (PN278000656), that the 97 does not because it became integral within the MPEM for 97. The fuse was good, but when checking the 4 wire leads going into the relay, I saw that one was slightly corroded (but not visible). Cleaned and problem solved. You'll solve this eventually, maybe this will help.

That is the holder relay and could be the problem, but you will just be throwing parts at it unless you get the beeper working. A test light should work if you can't get a good beeper. They almost always are bad so you MUST get something to replace it. The gauges lighting up tell you almost nothing. Radio Shack (if any are still around) has one that works. Or I am sure you can find some kind of 12v beeper around on Amazon or ebay.

BTW, you can also just bypass that relay for testing. Look at the wiring diagram. You can disconnect the relay and connect the two wires that go across the contact together. I think they will just plug in together. This will keep power on the CDI continuously. It will work for testing, but you battery may drain in the long term while the ski is not running.

The very first thing you need to do is determine if the MPEM is recognizing the key, either by fixing the beeper or using a test light. If it does not you will not get spark. The MPEM sends a signal to the CDI which generates the spark through the coil. Cranking the engine by jumping the starter will not generate a spark to fire the plugs.
BTW there is also a beep code (4 long beeps) when the key is put on the post that indicates the MPEM cannot communicate with the CDI (because of lack of power due to the holder relay, a defect CDI or wiring problems between the two). I got this error on my 96 GTX due to an intermittent holder relay that took me a long time to find.

All of our tips and experiences will hopefully lead Chrisseado to a successful endpoint, that's what I love about this forum.

I ordered beepers from Floyd Bell and this is the part number. The personel there seem to know about this beeper and suggested this one over another one I picked. :) They are about $20 each. As we have all said, you gotta get the beeper working, it makes troubleshooting so much easier.

Part. no. XC-09-330-W
3-30 V
191218-00

Floyd Bell

Good Luck !!

The original beeper from Floyd Bell is a SP-1136. The SP is "Special Production" so they make them as ordered and last time I ordered some they said they might start making a minimum order. This is probably why they gave Etemplet a new off the shelf number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back