1996 Seadoo XP key beeps

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

BruceXP116

Whenever I will plug the key into the ski after not charging it for a couple days or weeks the people will be kind of soft. I thought nothing of it and put it on the trickle charge. Everything works fine when I charge the battery up but this time the battery is fully charged it was charging overnight, and the beeps were still very very quiet. The engine still turns over and everything works as should except the gauges.

The beepers go bad all the time.

Never charge the battery when connected to the ski.

If you have to charge the battery all the time it’s done and needs to be replaced or the ski isn’t charging it and the voltage regulator could be bad.

The voltage regulator can also cause the skis to run really poorly and strange. With a volt meter on the battery rev the engine up to about 4500 rpm and it should be 13.5 to 14 volts. More or less is a problem.

I would never charge a battery in general connected to something… I always take it out. Randomly when I was out today though The clicks would either be quiet or loud just randomly it’s probably just the beeper which I found is like 10 bucks on eBay.

The beepers go bad all the time.

Never charge the battery when connected to the ski.

If you have to charge the battery all the time it’s done and needs to be replaced or the ski isn’t charging it and the voltage regulator could be bad.

The voltage regulator can also cause the skis to run really poorly and strange. With a volt meter on the battery rev the engine up to about 4500 rpm and it should be 13.5 to 14 volts. More or less is a problem.
Is safety (possible ignition of gas fumes from a spark) the only reason for not charging the battery when installed in the ski as is stated in a WARNING in the service manual, or could something in the electrical system be damaged?

Is safety (possible ignition of gas fumes from a spark) the only reason for not charging the battery when installed in the ski as is stated in a WARNING in the service manual, or could something in the electrical system be damaged?
All of the above

Fuel vapor ignition is always a concern but the main reason is frying the MPEM.

There's a difference between charging and boosting. I've seen Do Not Boost battery while installed, and I don't, but there's no way charging a battery while installed is going to fry anything, unless there's some bad wiring in the ski. A fully charged battery has probably 100 Amps just ready and waiting for a chance to get out, and that doesn't fry anything. A battery charger has only 10 Amps to offer, how is that going to toast something? Now a battery booster is different. they use large capacitors and dump a higher voltage than 12v, and THAT will do damage!
In theory, the fuses should protect the mpem, but why take a chance?

Next time its running, pull off the engine temp sensor wire on top of the head and ground it.
this will send 12V to the buzzer, to test it

There's a difference between charging and boosting. I've seen Do Not Boost battery while installed, and I don't, but there's no way charging a battery while installed is going to fry anything, unless there's some bad wiring in the ski. A fully charged battery has probably 100 Amps just ready and waiting for a chance to get out, and that doesn't fry anything. A battery charger has only 10 Amps to offer, how is that going to toast something? Now a battery booster is different. they use large capacitors and dump a higher voltage than 12v, and THAT will do damage!

False, lots of these MPEM’s have been damaged just by charging. From cheap trickle chargers to automotive chargers.

How do I know? Because I have seen it over 30 years working on these, it pop’s the diode on the mpem circuit board.

False, lots of these MPEM’s have been damaged just by charging. From cheap trickle chargers to automotive chargers.

How do I know? Because I have seen it over 30 years working on these, it pop’s the diode on the mpem circuit board.

I’ll shut my mouth then! Sorry for all that. 30 yrs Vs. 5 yrs, you would know better!
But I do have a question about your response…..
How, did you find a blown diode on a mpem circuit board?
I’ve only sent mpem’s on 1995 to 2000 seadoos, and don’t recall ever seeing a circuit board with visible components. Every one was sealed up, in resin or ? And without a schematic of the mpem, testing with a VOM would be relatively blind. Please share, as I am very curious, and/or maybe just ignorant!

I’ll shut my mouth then! Sorry for all that. 30 yrs Vs. 5 yrs, you would know better!
But I do have a question about your response…..
How, did you find a blown diode on a mpem circuit board?
I’ve only sent mpem’s on 1995 to 2000 seadoos, and don’t recall ever seeing a circuit board with visible components. Every one was sealed up, in resin or ? And without a schematic of the mpem, testing with a VOM would be relatively blind. Please share, as I am very curious, and/or maybe just ignorant!

No problem at all, just don’t want to see anyone fry their MPEM’s as they are getting scarce and expensive.

The diode is inside on the printed circuit board and basically acts as a one way valve for electricity. You basically have to know the location and start cutting into the plastic case or potting material. If the mpem fuse keeps popping it’s almost always the diode. And I don’t exactly know the proper electrical explanation why charging it can ruin the diode just like booting but just that it can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back