1996 seadoo spx 720...need help lol

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

glsmohio

Ok, I'm working on a 1996 seadoo spx. I got this about half way through summer last year. Paid $400 for it. Over the winter I have been rebuilding this thing from the ground up. I have some problems and want to get your input. Last summer when we were riding it it just stopped (happened 2 times out of 40 days riding it) When I would go to hit the start button it wouldn't do any thing. then after taking the seat off looking at the engine to see if the connector came lose where it plugs in to the stator and it looked good so then after pushing the start button about 5 times and the waves hitting the ski, it started. So like i said it only happened two times. So now on the winter and working on the ski. Put it all back together and put the key on and when I went to push start it didn't do anything. I turned the tv off so i could here what was going on and when i pushed the start button I could here something (maybe inside the starter) and then i let up and pushed the start button again and it turned right over. Over the last 3 days i have walked up to the ski and put the key on and hit start and cranks it right over. Did it do this because its been sitting for 5 months??? I replaced the buzzer and when I put the key on the dess post, I don't get a beep and the gauges don't light up or move, but when i it the start button it will light all the gauges up and give me info and turn the engine over. With out the key on the post and I push the start button 2 times it then lights up the gauges and gives me info. Any info you guys could give me??

Thanks
Scott

Check ground cable connection point, and try another battery next time it happens to not turn over. My 787 96' xp had the ground cable point at engine break, and also when its been sitting it needs to have a healthy battery to turn over.

Rob

electrical gremlins are confusing for me but through going over all the wiring in my xp's I have found the ground cable to be a common place to have flakey connection lots of oxidation on these cables I would replace that, I got a new one from my local auto parts store for $7, and go over the wiring looking for loose connectors and oxidized connections etc. Sounds like it also could be a flaky solenoid or starter problem but doesn't explain your first issue

electrical gremlins are confusing for me but through going over all the wiring in my xp's I have found the ground cable to be a common place to have flakey connection lots of oxidation on these cables I would replace that, I got a new one from my local auto parts store for $7, and go over the wiring looking for loose connectors and oxidized connections etc. Sounds like it also could be a flaky solenoid or starter problem but doesn't explain your first issue

im in the same boat with what your thinking. Would a bad ground cause it to just stop? not the best when it comes to electrical.

yup a flaky ground that maybe was disturbed by rough water or vibration would definitely cause to to come to a sudden stop. you should check the prongs in your stator connection to maybe they are oxidized or rusty you never know. also open up the grey e-box in the bow look for some loose connections or flaky etc inspect it there. Another thing you could try is trimming your spark plug wires a 1/4 inch if you don't find anything else wrong but I doubt this would help.

yup a flaky ground that maybe was disturbed by rough water or vibration would definitely cause to to come to a sudden stop. you should check the prongs in your stator connection to maybe they are oxidized or rusty you never know. also open up the grey e-box in the bow look for some loose connections or flaky etc inspect it there. Another thing you could try is trimming your spark plug wires a 1/4 inch if you don't find anything else wrong but I doubt this would help.

thanks for the help. Im going to give it a look tonight.

well yesterday i had the day off and i was working on the spx. I think i found my problem.....the pipe was leaking water into the hall and on to every thing ( i got it fixed now, dang plug had to be welded) and on the gray e box one of the wires that run it to it, the seal was broke, so when i took the e box apart it was full of water and i mean bad. so now im cleaning it all up.

i hope this will fix my problems.

thanks
scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back