1996 Seadoo Speedster

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
I didn't pick the boat up yet but if all goes well It will be mine tomorrow morning. I restore a lot of skis but stay away from boats. What was cool about this one is that it was in such good shape. One engine is not running but dang if the right engine didn't fire right up. I'm used to NOTHING working. LOL I think I'm gonna keep the boat a while and have some fun with it AFTER I get it spot on. Not sure of the value and am thinking about 2 fully rebuilt engines. Even has a canopy. What is something like this worth??

1996 Speedster (2).jpg

1996 Speedster.jpg

I bought a 96 Speedster last spring here in Toronto, the boat was in mint shape, both motors were 145PSI. I paid 5k CDN$ for it (so roughly 4k US$). But watching Kijiji.ca the prices vary by location. I've heard the same is true in the US...

I paid $2k for this one. The interior and general condition is the show stopper for me. This is my first boat let alone Seadoo Boat. I'm gonna restore and sell it. I think I know why the guys sold it. I believe the Electric Module is bad and not putting spark to the port engine. I'm gonna be lookin at fixes for this. I am not beyond tearing into the ECM and soldering new parts in there. :D Gonna do it right though, like always. Problem is used parts prices are insane.

Yeah, a rebuilt engine will run about 2k, and the ECM is about $1500 up here for a rebuilt or from a salvage guy. You could probably piece it out and make more money than you paid for it, the seats alone are like 2k if they are in great shape. I'm just installing trim tabs on my boat and installing a new bimini top. That's another 2k basically :(

Have fun happy :)

I bought the boat to restore and sell. I do this with the Seadoo 2-stroke Jet skis. I can get aftermarkey ECM for $500 here. I have seen OEM used for $1000. I'm going to go into the ECM and find out which part is bad and see about replacng it. I am wondering if I can just install another MPEM for the left engine only and leave the right engine contols as is. That might work.

I'm curious if anyone has determined what is going bad on the ECM that causes the left engine not to fire. I read about a problem with the rev limiter which I may be able to replace. Then again I could have an issue with the RPM pick up on the mag of the left engine. I really have not started on this boat yet. I'll be very happy if it is an engine issue. :D

Thanks for the info.

well either way it's a lovely boat (exactly the same as mine) - if you ever want to sell the bimini top let me know, they are hard to find :(

I don't know much about the ECM, and hope I never have to replace it. I've never heard of it causing just one engine to not fire. I had one issue with one of my motors early on - it ended up being the exhaust manifold/noise reducer were not connected tightly enough and the lack of back pressure caused it to malfunction - so the left motor wouldn't accelerate but it did fire up with no problem while the right engine worked perfectly.

I do know a guy up here that parts out older seadoo boats and has an ECM if you end up needing one....or if you need any other odds and sods as you progress...

There are some islands that boaters frequent on the Gulf coast and I plan to take the speedster out there with my wife. They are only 7 miles offshore. Who knows... I might end up keeping the Speedster. LOL I have rebuilt engines ready to install and I'm gonna restore the boat. I really appreciate the support and help.

I didn't pick the boat up yet but if all goes well It will be mine tomorrow morning. I restore a lot of skis but stay away from boats. What was cool about this one is that it was in such good shape. One engine is not running but dang if the right engine didn't fire right up. I'm used to NOTHING working. LOL I think I'm gonna keep the boat a while and have some fun with it AFTER I get it spot on. Not sure of the value and am thinking about 2 fully rebuilt engines. Even has a canopy. What is something like this worth??

View attachment 57453

View attachment 57454
Congrats!!!))) looks nice, good luck with restoring check mine ) restored last winter Seadoo Sportster resto)))

Attachments

• 4290CFF0-9A6C-4BCE-ADF8-710E42D6CF9D.jpeg
    4290CFF0-9A6C-4BCE-ADF8-710E42D6CF9D.jpeg
    212 KB · Views: 35
Hi guys! I just bought a 96’ Speedster and was curious if anyone could answer some questions for me. This is my first boat.

How big is my gas tank?
How big is my oil tank?

How does the bilge pump work and when should I run it?

Any and all tips or advice would be appreciated!

She’s a fun little boat and perfect for me and my wife. I love how small it is because I live in Michigan right on Lake Huron but I like that it’s small enough to go on all of our small lakes in northern Michigan.

Attachments

• 08488C4A-5AD2-46AC-A42E-112436C0A71C.jpeg
    08488C4A-5AD2-46AC-A42E-112436C0A71C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
  • 7C6E216B-5F4A-40AC-82C7-7F13A2D50529.jpeg
    7C6E216B-5F4A-40AC-82C7-7F13A2D50529.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • 4DB389C6-CB25-4A24-90BF-3E3B004C556B.jpeg
    4DB389C6-CB25-4A24-90BF-3E3B004C556B.jpeg
    145.4 KB · Views: 18
  • FD09C2B7-5192-44E0-8CBC-A06BCC316A13.jpeg
    FD09C2B7-5192-44E0-8CBC-A06BCC316A13.jpeg
    508.6 KB · Views: 20
Hi guys! I just bought a 96’ Speedster and was curious if anyone could answer some questions for me. This is my first boat.

How big is my gas tank?
How big is my oil tank?

How does the bilge pump work and when should I run it?

Any and all tips or advice would be appreciated!

She’s a fun little boat and perfect for me and my wife. I love how small it is because I live in Michigan right on Lake Huron but I like that it’s small enough to go on all of our small lakes in northern Michigan.
Congrats - which boat is it in the pictures? I have a 96 Speedster as well, bought it last year. The gas tank (sorry I'm in Toronto) is about 40 litres and that can last just one outting if you are pulling skiers/tubes etc for prolonged periods :( Not sure about the oil size, but I only ever fill it about 1/2 full. I keep 10 litres of gas and 1 litre oil in the storage area just in case.

The bilge pump on mine used to come on every 5 or 10 minutes for 5 seconds, even when it was out of the water, that is the way it sensed if there was water to pump out. I changed it last year to one that doesn't need to drain the battery every 5 or 10 minutes. It only comes on when water is present.

This spring I'm installing Trim Tabs (I'm primarily on Lake Ontario) - otherwise it porpoised badly even in minor waves (anything higher than 6 inches). Also installing stereo/speakers and a bimini top.

Top tips from my mechanic:
1. Test pressure every year in both engines (he says anything over 140 PSI is golden) - any significant drop in pressure indicates a more serious issue
2. Always use the exact same oil
3. Don't suck up stones :)
4. Proper winterization every year
5. Lube/oil etc every spring

Great little boat, fast and fun for the kids - enjoy!!!

Congrats - which boat is it in the pictures? I have a 96 Speedster as well, bought it last year. The gas tank (sorry I'm in Toronto) is about 40 litres and that can last just one outting if you are pulling skiers/tubes etc for prolonged periods :( Not sure about the oil size, but I only ever fill it about 1/2 full. I keep 10 litres of gas and 1 litre oil in the storage area just in case.

The bilge pump on mine used to come on every 5 or 10 minutes for 5 seconds, even when it was out of the water, that is the way it sensed if there was water to pump out. I changed it last year to one that doesn't need to drain the battery every 5 or 10 minutes. It only comes on when water is present.

This spring I'm installing Trim Tabs (I'm primarily on Lake Ontario) - otherwise it porpoised badly even in minor waves (anything higher than 6 inches). Also installing stereo/speakers and a bimini top.

1. Test pressure every year in both engines (he says anything over 140 PSI is golden) - any significant drop in pressure indicates a more serious issue

All the pictures are the same boat. The picture with the Bimini top is the most recent. My wife was scrubbing the deck and I wanted to clean the top.

Lake Ontario is the only Great Lake I haven’t been on! One day!

The speakers and Stereo were replaced with a nice new Sony Marine package. The Bimini Top will definitely come in handy. I’m a Northern guy and a bake in the sun easily.

I’ll have to buy one of those pressure testers. The boat is in really great shape for her age and I would like to keep her that way. I will have to find out from the previous owner what exact oil he used.

Also keep me updated on the tabs and if you could let me know which ones you go with. I’ve been looking at them.

I'm installing Bennett trim tabs, I have to custom cut them to fit though to 9 inches wide, by 12 inches long. Haven't started installing them yet as they are still with the metal fabricator. Will update after they are on and I've tried them in the water - probably another month or so...

I had to go with this single tri. Tab as I couldn't fit any on the sides, just not enough room, plus you can buy these in singles, so was under $100. Makes a huge difference getting to plane and in rough waters it is way smoother. Only downside is the steering is a bit looser now....

Man I have both engines ready to go on this boat I just have too much going on right now. I wish I could find someone the fix the MPEM as that is what I believe is the problem with the port engine, "no fire." If I can find a way to get this GEL away from the MPEM components I'd give it a go sooner. From what I understand it is the rev limiter that goes bad. If I replace the MPEM with aftermarket I only lose the neutral switch. I wish I could buy a new MPEM for the price of the used ones. Day yum they are expensive. LOL

How are these boats in the open water? I live near the Gulf of Mexico and there is a small string of Islands about 7 miles offshore. People tell me they wouldn't take the Speedster our there because it gets too rough but they would take a jet ski. I see pictures of people out there in all kinds of boats. I'm not a boater so I'm curious. Is this only a river or lake boat?

I boat 90% of the time on lake Ontario which can get really rough real fast. I've literally been in 10' swells, makes for a long hike back to land, but these things are literally unsinkable, they float even if they are full of water.

That said, if its really rough I don't bother, ill take it out to a smaller lake.

But in your case 7 miles won't take long to cover at 50mph :)

As for the loss of neutral, not sure i understand as these things don't actually have a neutral.

I boat 90% of the time on lake Ontario which can get really rough real fast. I've literally been in 10' swells, makes for a long hike back to land, but these things are literally unsinkable, they float even if they are full of water.

That said, if its really rough I don't bother, ill take it out to a smaller lake.

But in your case 7 miles won't take long to cover at 50mph :)

As for the loss of neutral, not sure i understand as these things don't actually have a neutral.
Thanks for the input. Those are my thoughts as well on the ride of the boat. I think it would be perfect for the 7 mile trip. :D

On starting in neutral, I believe that unless both forward reverse levers are in the neutral position the engines won't start. On the jet skis I've ridden and worked on, I have not encountered that. So, if needed, we have an option for the MPEM for $500 or so.

I remember my son's 1996 Speedster actually applied throttle when making a turn at low speed with the engines at idle.

Oh I see what you mean, yeah its actually odd that it will let one motor start without sensing they are both in neutral, does the port side spark/turn over at all? I'll ask my parts guy if he has a MPEM for you, he usually sellls them for CDN$1000, so you may be able to talk him down to CDN$750 which is about US$550 (plus shipping of course)...let me know if you want me to check...

When one of my batteries died the boat would still start the motor on the good battery. Replaced both batteries just in case and it made a world of difference in terms of the motors both start on the first press of the buttons...

I'd highly suggest the trim tab for you if you are on the Gulf, but be careful as the front will ride much lower so going head first into larger waves at speed can result in the boat turning into a bathtub :)

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. The port engine turns over but Im getting no fire. I swapped the wires from the MPEM to the coil and didn't get fire to the starboard engine that was previously runing.

Hmmm, maybe not the MPEM - I've heard the starter coil is always a good place to start - can you switch the port/starboard coils and see what happens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back