1996 seadoo speedster mpem fix.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stacy

I had a bad mpem, it kept blowing the 5amp fuse, i attained a complete wiring diagram and can make it available, all that i need to convert the system was 2bombardier electric start key switches (solenoid position), 2 tether kill switches, 3 inline fuse blocks, ring wire connectors, female tab wire connectors, i soldered my wire connections to avoid corrosion and a small amount of black tape, a 5amp fuse and 3 15amp fuses. It took a solid afternoon to do. I have all the components in working order except the neutral rev limiter which was the only real thing that the mpem does. If you remove all connections from the mpem including the large connector for the main wiring harness and the wires that tee from the coils, if after you insert a 5amp fuse and connect the short black wire with the ring connector to the battery ground and either of the two short red wires with ring connectors and the fuse still dies the mpem is fried, you will see that there is CDI stamped on your coil, the tee'd wire that connects to both the coil and mpem is acting like a kill switch because of the short in the mpem due to the REV limiter for the neutral protection, sever the wire as close to the mpem (bk/rd/gn and bk/rd ) as you can (its nice to have as much length the wire when you rewire) and voila!! you will now see that you have spark, now you need a way to stop the engines , enter the keyed switches and tether kills. I removed the mpem from the boat, you need all of the wires from the mpem, I cut them as close to the mpem unit as every wire will be re-incorporated into the rewire and again length is nice. The lighting, bilge, etc is wired directly to the fuse box in the front of the boat and is represented by the largest dia bk wire connected to the ground post and large red with the line fuse connected to the batt post of the solenoid. In the front fuse box ciricuitry there is an auxilliary circuit represented by the bk and orange wires capped under the storage bin, I changed the fuse from a 10amp to a15amp fuse and used the orange wire as the solenoid power to both of the switches connect these to the BATT poles on the switches. I cut the dess post off as close as could, toss that stupid thing. I used the dess post wires to wire the kill switches via the tee'd wires, you have to keep these wires that send signal from the stator separate hence 2 key switches and 2tether kills. Reconnect the same colored yellow wires (y/r/g and y/r )from the solenoid plug and main wire harness that were cut from the mpem, ground the bk solenoid plug wires to the post in the box, remove and cut close the wires from the 2 starter buttons ,connect one to each of the SOL poles on the switches, the tether kills fit into these holes, wire them between the GND and MAG poles on the switches, one for each,connect the DESS wires, bk one to GND tied to both switches, the other two connect at the back to the tee'd coil wires one to each switch on the MAG poles, make sure that the SOL and MAG wires come from the same engine. I drilled a new hole for one switch and fit the other in the hole for the DESS post. The engines should now turn over when you turn the key and have spark I took a new wire and sent it from the accessory poles on the switches back through the boat and through the sealed elec. box via one of the batt wire ports and put another inline fuse block with 5amp fuse, the guages tachs, fuel speedo power up here (purple wires), all other circuitry for guages is already done, just need to power them, the buzzer is grounded to the heat sensors on the top of the engines (tn and tn/gn) and connects to tn/bk wire that were cut from the MPEM also connect here the rd/wh wire, this is the neutral switch, with the key in the on position you will now have the buzzer sounding when its in neutral (low tech neutral protection) put the shifter in fwd and the buzzer should go off, leave it in forward and touch the wire from the overheat sensor to the engine and the buzzer will sound, check the other one. The red wires coming from the voltage regulator/rectifier are the charging supply, connect an inline 15amp fuse between the red vr wire and the red wire with ring connector that was cut from the MPEM, connect the ring connector to the batt cable on the solenoid do the same for the one on the other side. Clean it all up install your switches and tethers put the lid on the elec box and take her for a spin. Sad tha seadoo made millions fixin that dess crap and then abandon it, i hope this helps you, i have pics and diagrams, Stacy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stacy, I'm scared to ask how you figured out how to do all that! I too have a '96 Speedster and would love to have you "pm" me the info on that process whenever you have the time. I'm a very visual person( not that smart) so seeing pic/diagrams as well as reading helps a lot. Sounds to me it's mostly labor with a few small parts. A lot cheaper than a new mpem. Great job!

p.s. I'm great with a sledge hammer though!:cheers:

WOW........

I'm not sure that I'm understanding everything I'm reading, but I think you're saying that you have obtained a wiring diagram of the MPEM, and have found a way to bypass it.

I always thought the MPEM was a closely guarded secret of BRP, so I'm not even going to ask how you obtained the document.

Lou

It's not a secret. On the 720 and smaller engines... you don't need the MPEM to run the engine. The problem is... and as you already know... you don't have a rev-limiter !!!! When the pumps become un-loaded... the engines can rev high enough to blow up. What you have done is not safe.

Also... I'm not sure if you have isolated the kill switches or not. But if you haven't... the charging voltage of the CDI is over 300v when the engine is running. So... if you touch that key with wet fingers... it could be dangerous.

With that said... get a couple of aftermarket re-limiters for the engines... and put the key, and kill switches on relays... and you will be fine. (and safe) But, I do have to give you a hand for thinking outside the box. :thumbsup:

Lou: I don't think he got an MPEM diagram... I think he just got the boat diagram.

To everyone else... this will not work with the 800 an 951 engines. They require a digital "Handshake" with the CDI to start. So... at the moment, there is no way to get the CDI to function without the MPEM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just having a decent wiring diagram would be a big help, I don't have one for my 96GTI, there's not one in the service manual. I found one elsewhere on the internet, but it's not very complete. You know some of us Appalachian Technicians have trouble cipherin things out.

Lou

Thank you for the heads up on the limiter and the shock possibility, i wil search out and incorporate these components, i suppose id need two limiters, ther are programmable limiters and ones that are set for this boat, i wonder which is better?

The only commercial rev-limiter I know of right now for a 720 is the "micro touch" unit. check eBay. I'm sure you can get a couple cheap.

I purchased two microtouch rev limiters, MT-REV-SD-92-97, I think that these will do the job, I took the boat out yesterday, you definitely need the limiters for when you take off as i had to control the throttles to keep them from over revving, and if you bring it to a stall with a sharp turn the rear of the boat can come out of the water and unload the props, the limiters i believe not only control the rpm's but also protect from high voltage going to the lanyard, or in my case, the keys, I think i will coat the keys and switch plates in rubber (rockerguard) anyways! I will post a report on how things go after i recieve my limiters. Stacy

Hello, I finally got to take my boat out yesterday, the limiters work fine, the boat runs great, the limiters are very simple to wire in, a ground, power via the 5 amp connection for the guages etc, and the limiter wire that tees into the stator wire to the coil, a little solder and tape and done, i will do my best to pm everyone who has replied to my post , i will upload the photos on this thread If i can figure out how to do that.
Stacy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back