RESTO 1996 Seadoo HX for $300 that I got running. What now?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those bushings are the only thing stopping you from shearing off the headpipe bolts. Trust me and replace all of them now.

Those bushings are the only thing stopping you from shearing off the headpipe bolts. Trust me and replace all of them now.

Yup as soon as I gave them any movement one of them started falling apart, another one to the list lol. Better a bushing fail on me than the headpipe bolts

The more I look at this ski the more I want to take it down to bare hull and do it right the first time. But I also want to ride it this season.

The more I look at this ski the more I want to take it down to bare hull and do it right the first time. But I also want to ride it this season.

I can understand wanting to ride now, season is upon us. I'm on my second bare hull resto, purchased the first one (97' GTX) in July 2017 and didn't get in on the water until July 2018. I purchased the 96' GSX in May 2018 and project to be on the water by this May, I'm about to enter the engine assembly and carb rebuild phase, the last part. Both skis were complete disasters when I got them but I saw the potential.

It's a lot of work building back up from bare hull and the cost can add up, but it's like a new ski when you're done. I go through everything, clean, repair, replace, adjust, verify. I spend more time on the cosmetics, the engine and carbs are nothing, a couple weeks once the parts are media blasted, the cosmetics/hull is months... That's were the work is, a clean ski and making it look good, but to me it's one of the most rewarding parts...

Alright got the parts ordered (finally from procaliber)
Don't know the estimated ship date yet
What I ordered:
Fuel Selector Valve
2 Oil tank grommets
Fuel filter assembly
Oil Filter
1 Gal mineral Oil
3 Grommets for the pipe
Some misc bolts I couldn't find at the local hardware store/

Ordering those 3/32 tygon lines and copper rtv silicon gasket sealer for the clamp, also having a hard time getting that clamp off too. How do I work it off? (I don't have any pictures right now for it but here's another picture off google)

Attachments

• exhuast.PNG
    exhuast.PNG
    7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Take the nut all the way off then with a punch just keep tapping around it and eventually it will pop off just don’t get crazy and bend it hitting too hard.

Take the nut all the way off then with a punch just keep tapping around it and eventually it will pop off just don’t get crazy and bend it hitting too hard.

Used a hammer and a pair of pliers, with gentle taps and some penetrating fluid i was able to get it free.

Alright just waiting on parts now, ordered through procaliber. Wondering if they'll ever send me a shipping estimate lol.

Only thing stopping me when the parts do get here, is just replacing the two (most likely four depending what the pto carb has to offer.) Thinking about ordering those from osd. Getting it out on the water soon if all goes to plan, but most likely wont. lol

High temp copper rtv gasket maker and the 3/32 tygon lines came in today. Might just swap out the lines right now actually, gonna use some pliers and gently wiggle the clamps off, once clamps are off, how would one tighten them back?

Ordered the screws for my carbs from OSD that the PO stripped out (haven't cracked open pto carb yet but preemptively ordered them too just in case)

Still waiting for procaliber to send me shipping estimate.. lol or anything useful really.

Ordered the screws for my carbs from OSD that the PO stripped out (haven't cracked open pto carb yet but preemptively ordered them too just in case)

Still waiting for procaliber to send me shipping estimate.. lol or anything useful really.

No shipping estimate? hasn't even shipped? That's ridiculous, you placed that order almost a week ago, cancel and go with someone else, I got an order recently from OSD within 3 days. Between Amazon, Ebay, SBT, PWC Muscle, and OSD you should be able to get anything you need. All, unless coming from China on ebay, you'll get it within 3 - 7 days.

Last edited:
No shipping estimate? hasn't even shipped? That's ridiculous, you placed that order almost a week ago, cancel and go with someone else, I got an order recently from OSD within 3 days. Between Amazon, Ebay, SBT, PWC Muscle, and OSD you should be able to get anything you need. All, unless coming from China on ebay, you'll get it within 3 - 7 days.

OSD and other places stock the parts they list in house. Dealerships can't stock every part especially for skis that are over 20 years old. With Pro Caliber they are an actual dealer in Washington State so they order from Seadoo then when your order arrives they ship to you. Seadoo won't let a dealer drop ship to the customer so it does take a little longer but that is the price you pay for getting OEM parts at the lowest price.

In the past I have called them and typically it is 1 part holding up the order so if I need it ASAP I have them ship what they have then pay the $7 to ship the offending part when it arrives.

In the past I have called them and typically it is 1 part holding up the order so if I need it ASAP I have them ship what they have then pay the $7 to ship the offending part when it arrives.

Yeah think it might be that one misc. screw I ordered that could be holding it up, I'll call them monday and see what's going on.

Awesome news, got a nice box of parts that came in. Turns out the grommets on the pipe are what are held it up and I'm just gonna assume they'll come in later. Since that what I'm understanding when reading the receipt. Time to get to work this weekend.

Already got the pipes painted w/clear. Looking nice on that end.

Quick question on some little stuff, how would one flush the rv cavity? Remove one of the oil lines and just suck it up with a pump?

How to get the grommets replaced on the tank, I see a plastic red little nut inside the tank. Do I take it apart from there?

Just need to get a pressure test kit made for the carbs and I'll be out for the first initial ride before I begin the jet pump rebuild. Any chance someone could just me how they made theres?

There’s no nut on the tank. Just wiggle and pull the red fitting out.

Here you go.
08ea9e9f42bc28c164ef1ab28244fed7.jpg
05429d2c290ea856c4f7a75cd0e87827.jpg

Alright, got all the parts, carbs are almost done.

Been awhile haha, painted my faded and stained pipe white, not liking it so much. Might have to go with a yellow instead. I'll get a nice long updated post in the meantime.

Got the fuel strainer installed, new oil filter, new fuel selector valve, new fuel lines have already been routed just needing to see if the original orientation that P.O had was correct lol.

Any tips on flushing the RV cavity? and removing as much of the old oil as possible?

Already got the new grommets installed on the oil tank, pressure relief valve is also tested good so that's a plus. Got to flush the tank with some fresh gas and I should be good.

Haven't touched jet pump at all. If I was to add new oil, do I just remove cone, let all old fluid out. Add new oil? If it's that simple I'll do it before the maiden voyage.

Stole the end caps off the hx for one of my other skis sadly, anyone got a good source where I can buy some new?

Back here again, missed the season with my hx pretty much, got focused on other projects.

Compression on the motor (after I finally decided to test it) is 130 on both cylinders, seems alright, all I need to do now is clean some dirty grounds and connections and change the oil in the jet pump.
1571001170074.png1571001189274.png
Pretty much just remove nose cone, let old oil drain out, loctite the allen bolts and reinstall add new oil till it pours out the plug?

Also, I got as much of the old oil I could from the rv but there's still some since the 3/32 lines got a little bit left in them (already replaced them with new ones.) If i brought my ski to the ramp, let it idle and have leave the return line disconnected and wait for the all the old oil to pour out till I see red?
1571001136070.png1571001241534.png

Another quick question, if I leave engine in place but remove jet pump and driveshaft, will i need new alignment? It's been awhile and I forgot if it'd get out of alignment or not by doing so. I have the old yellow driveshaft and neglected to order the revised one(spline something?)

After I get that all done all I need to do now is install an hour meter and tach into my emptyr gauge cluster on the hood. Also some new paint when the time comes. :grin:1571001273961.png

Attachments

• 1571001206841.png
    1571001206841.png
    537.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Autozone wanted $40 to “rent” it in case you don’t bring it back. It’s a deposit.
Essentially you’re buying whatever tool you’re borrowing and then returning it for a refund when you’re done. The cost varies by the tool.

For parts you can also try
Dave at Thejetskistore he keeps loads of parts and very helpful has a lot of 2nd hand skis for parts break up and has a HX looks repairable outside his office door
The Jet Ski Store | New And Used Parts
Drop him an email for parts not listed

Mention Gary sent you
thanks for the new source of parts, I've been using procaliber that was recommended to me for the cheapest oem parts from the warehouses, been pretty well. Free shipping on purchases over $100 too. I'm just wondering if it'd be more effective leaving the return line disconnected feeding into a bottle while I have the ski idling in the water to get as much of the oil out as possible to prevent contamination.

Apart from that the only other thing I'm needing to do is replace the old yellow driveshaft damper without needing to realign the motor and pump.

Somewhat happy with the compression at 130, maybe in a couple seasons I'll throw a new topend on the ski, but for now i'll run with it.

Once I get a season with the ski I'll be stripping it down to bare hull and doing a full resto but as for now I'm working with it lol.

For the rotary bath oil just fill the tank and have the return line lower in a small container. As soon as you see the new oil flow out of the line raise the hose and connect it to the tank. There’s no reason to have it running.

For the rotary bath oil just fill the tank and have the return line lower in a small container. As soon as you see the new oil flow out of the line raise the hose and connect it to the tank. There’s no reason to have it running.
alright will do. after that I'll just bleed the system of air, open bleeder screw, oil pump lever wot, let ski idle till all air is out of the 3/32 lines if I remember correctly?

Open the bleeder screw with the engine off. Once the air is out tighten the bleeder screw. Then start the engine at idle with the level open until the 3/32” lines are full.

Hey mikidymac, would be killer if you could send how your cables are attached to your carbs on your HX, it being so long I no longer have the original photos to being able to reference again. I goofed up and forgot to attach the one bracket for the cables so when I have the time I got to take the carbs off again and put it back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back