RESTO 1996 Seadoo HX for $300 that I got running. What now?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
For the zip ties only use the good ones with the stainless locking tabs. I get them from McMaster Carr.

On the grommet remove the plastic fitting, install just the grommet then push the fitting back in to lock the grommet in place.

For the zip ties only use the good ones with the stainless locking tabs. I get them from McMaster Carr.

On the grommet remove the plastic fitting, install just the grommet then push the fitting back in to lock the grommet in place.

When I'm bleeding the oil system holding pump fully extended while engine is idling, should I use a 10:1 premix? Also could I just use siphon instead of having to run the engine?

Thankfully I am not using this ski to flip and plan to keep it for the long haul, went to autozone and they wanted $40 to rent, although renting vs rebuilding entire motor is understandable. Asked one of my work buddies if I can borrow his and I am just waiting for him to bring in most likely monday.

Crank feels good when I turn it by hand so from my limited knowledge rebuilding the top end doesn't sound terrible? (aside from bad crank seals) I got two running skis already and plan on taking them out tomorrow actually lol.

Thankyou for your response and helpful feedback though! I know it's my bad for not doing that as soon as I picked up the ski, I got it to run on premix but all that tells me is it runs.

Luckily when I estimate my projects like these I allocate some wiggle room cash just in case I run into anything that isn't in my favor. Thankfully as of right now I would be able to afford rebuilding the motor, and plan to have ski on water in the next week or two if the motor is truly healthy. (Not including the time it will take for me to wetsand and repair any exterior cosmetic issues.)

If not.. I'll be riding my Kawasakis for this summer lol

Also bonus for you and miki, if motor does blow up in my face you have the i told you so in storage!
Definitely not looking to tell anyone "I told you so." I've made plenty of dumb mistakes over the years that have cost me, and hate to see others do the same.

Get yourself your own compression tester. If you plan to do your own wrenching and repair, it will be a necessary tool. I picked mine up from Farm & Fleet for $40-50.

As far as bleeding the oil pump, the pump must be spinning to pump oil into the injection lines. Running the motor and holding the pump lever full open is the fastest and easiest way

Definitely not looking to tell anyone "I told you so." I've made plenty of dumb mistakes over the years that have cost me, and hate to see others do the same.

Understandable, thank you for your concern with it too! I didn't mean anything negative with it either as well, and hope to have this thing on the water soon. I will be testing the compression this week but the oem carb rebuild kits are coming in tomorrow so that's something to look for!

You need to open the little bleed screw on the oil pump to get the old oil and air out before you even think of starting it.

Then once it’s bled then you start it and hold the lever wide open with it idling to purge the little 3/32” oil lines.

No reason to premix it.

You need to open the little bleed screw on the oil pump to get the old oil and air out before you even think of starting it.

Then once it’s bled then you start it and hold the lever wide open with it idling to purge the little 3/32” oil lines.

Just to make sure I got it I:
Crack open (someone said it was 8mm nut?)
Keep turning till oil comes out
Stop when flow of oil comes out
Wait till the correct oil flows.
Start engine and let idle while lever is wide open till motor bogs?
Tighten screw?

Just to make sure I got it I:
Crack open (someone said it was 8mm nut?)
Keep turning till oil comes out
Stop when flow of oil comes out
Wait till the correct oil flows.
Start engine and let idle while lever is wide open till motor bogs?
Tighten screw?
Open the 8mm bleed screw, and bleed until you get a constant stream of "good" oil. Make sure to put down some shop rags under the pump, and use of a mirror helps to get a better view. Close the bleed screw and start the motor to bleed the injection lines

My torn boot cover for the shock came in along with one of the rebuild kits for my carbs, I got charged for one kit but ordered two, going to have to wait two more days till I can get both of them rebuilt.

I have a ultrasonic cleaner that I used for old atc and automotive carbs, anything special I should be doing before giving them a bath?

I'll post some pictures later one of the process following your rebuild thread from time to time lol

Any tips on getting the bottom ring on for the boot too? My giant hands are having a hard time getting in there.

Aside from the premix inside and some crud, how do these looks? Any "since your this far you should x" yall can give me? If I'm taking off rv cover whats the pn for gasket?

Also since I want to take off the 3/32 lines and replace them with new tygon lines, how do I remove those weird clamps on them?

Currently taking apart the mag carb right now since I only have one kit, going to test pop-off pressure before I work on other

Intake side of ski is very very dirty, going to mask off the intake and use some superclean again

Attachments

• IMG_0752.JPG
    IMG_0752.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0750.JPG
    IMG_0750.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0738.JPG
    IMG_0738.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0737.JPG
    IMG_0737.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 53
If it was mine and I was going to ride it hard I would pull it apart and replace all gaskets and seals.

Keep in mind all the o-rings and crank seals are not soft after being 20+ years old.

All you need is a WSM complete gasket kit and some piston snap rings. Be careful as the piston pin bearings are loose needles so either make a sleeve to hold them when you pull the piston pins or buy new caged bearings. I cut a cheap deep socket it half to take the place of the piston pin to hold the bearing sin one of mine.

I can see you also have to old yellow driveshaft dampers that will let go and destroy the shaft and PTO. Make sure you upgrade to the new red ones.

If it was mine and I was going to ride it hard I would pull it apart and replace all gaskets and seals.

Keep in mind all the o-rings and crank seals are not soft after being 20+ years old.

All you need is a WSM complete gasket kit and some piston snap rings. Be careful as the piston pin bearings are loose needles so either make a sleeve to hold them when you pull the piston pins or buy new caged bearings. I cut a cheap deep socket it half to take the place of the piston pin to hold the bearing sin one of mine.

I can see you also have to old yellow driveshaft dampers that will let go and destroy the shaft and PTO. Make sure you upgrade to the new red ones.

Thankyou for the info, this season I was wanting to get to just ride it maybe put 30 hours on it and do a bare hull restoration, I was thinking about replacing it for since they aren't as expensive as a new pto and shaft. Would all I have to do is move the motor forward till it slips out then put new one in and reverse process?

Were you able to look at the pictures I sent, using some laptop and I can't figure out how to get them the other way.

Currently working on the carb right now, all the oem paint seems to have been contaminated and its bubbling off.
Could I just use superclean with ultrasonic cleaner to clean it off?

A dark day for the hx, the PO (or one of) attempted to rebuild the mag carb and stripped out one of the bolts holding the block above the jets, insult to injury looks like a lot of dried up green goo caused some corrosion and rust on the carbon steel screws.

What would cause the fuel pump block to have discoloration but no pitting and surface is still flat? Also a stubborn gasket has become one with the pulse block (calling it that because that's where that particular line connects to.) Maybe some brake cleaner and a plastic chisel will help me.

Ordered a impact jis #2 from vessel to try and help, also a rubberband since that method has worked for me before.

Maybe in a month or two I can start working on gelcoat repairs but carbs are my main concern now, was gonna try and bang this one out tonight but technical difficulties has put mission hx on halt.. lol

Next mission is cleaning intake side of the 717 and replacing those 3/32 lines but no clue how to remove them from the weird looking clamps

The clamps just squeeze and will loosen up or just wiggle them off with needle nose pliers.

For the driveshaft dampener remove the jet pump then it will come out the back.

The clamps just squeeze and will loosen up or just wiggle them off with needle nose pliers.

For the driveshaft dampener remove the jet pump then it will come out the back.

Will get that ordered when I get the ski running, gonna be stubborn and use my short and stubby screwdriver, a prayer, and a rubberband to try and remove the stripped screw.

So I can reassemble the carb with the oem kit, I wonder if the owner ran it in the condition is was, looked like the diaphragm was falling apart. Fuel filter was clogged completely and the spring was corroded and needle was glued to the seat.

While I'm waiting to resolve the carbs, I figured I would remove the pipe to clean off all the black grime underneath and try and get a look at the pistons, found the pn for the sealant ring but when i tried ordering one it said it was obsolete?

Also missing two bolts that go to the exhaust manifold, pn 215684060

getting the part number is the first step...then google it. Seadoo loved to change part numbers.

for example, 215684060 is the same as 207084060, and guess which costs way less :)

ebay and seadoo junkyards can be the cost effective way to get some of this stuff.

assuming you mean the copper sealing ring 274000152 try westsidepowersports.com. If no luck, you can often heat copper rings until they are red hot to anneal them, then reuse. A propane torch works.

poke around for the joys of getting that joint sealed well. The usual advice is don't take the joint apart … pull the entire pipe.

since you have the pipe apart, inspect the welch plugs - the welded shut bungs. They have a habit to corrode from the inside out and pinhole. It's possible to grind them off and reweld on new plugs if you can weld aluminum, but it may be just as easy to get a used pipe in good shape.

poke around for the joys of getting that joint sealed well. The usual advice is don't take the joint apart … pull the entire pipe.

since you have the pipe apart, inspect the welch plugs - the welded shut bungs. They have a habit to corrode from the inside out and pinhole. It's possible to grind them off and reweld on new plugs if you can weld aluminum, but it may be just as easy to get a used pipe in good shape.

Yup took the entire pipe off as a whole, was going to reclear it and took it off the clean what was underneath it, was wanting to remove that joint is because there's a ton of buildup espicially around there, although there was a lot of black tar to start with lol. I was wanting to inspect it and see what it was about, probably just gonna leave it be lol.

That is the wrong oil and is pretty typical as a lot of idiots just go to walmart and buy outboard oil.

You can use any API-TC rated oil in your ski, Amsoil, Lucas or Seadoo and it doesn't have to be full synthetic. I have a bunch of seadoo's so to simplify I just use the Seadoo XPS E-Tec full synthetic in everything. You can get all your OEM parts and the full synthetic oil for $36 per gallon from Pro Caliber out of washington with free shipping over $99.

I would pull the oil tank and rinse out with gasoline. I would try to drain out as much oil as you can from the two lines running into the side of the engine block then use some fresh correct oil to flush out the remainder. Next reinstall the tank and a new oil filter then open the oil pump bleed screw and let it flow until you see the nice clean new oil coming out and you will be fine.
$36 a gallon?!?! I'm going to have to do that for sure.

The copper ring is no longer available. Just reuse the old one as they don’t go bad just put some ultra copper RTV on both sides.

You also need to replace all four #6 rubber pipe bushings or you will snap head pipe bolts.

The copper ring is no longer available. Just reuse the old one as they don’t go bad just put some ultra copper RTV on both sides.

You also need to replace all four #6 rubber pipe bushings or you will snap head pipe bolts.

PO must have lost the two bolts on there or broke them, gonna order the, soon. Bushing in it right now seem in good condition besides slight tear, but if needed I'll replace

Pulled pipe off as whole and cleaned off all the crud, discoloration on some areas, honestly I think this ski was left with the hood open for however long because it would really explain how dirty the inside is.

No corrosion plugs seem to be in cood condition, aside from some stagnated water that has been sitting for who knows.

Not as bad as I thought it would have been. Although I do know how to tig aluminum so anything like that would not have been a problem.

Probably going to wet sand and reclear the pipe. Going to post pictures of condition of ski soon as I've been continuing to clean and try to mess with small things throughout the week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back