1996 Seadoo GTX 787 losing a cylinder? Cant find pressure leak!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Like I mentioned before only crank seals I’ve ever done was on a ski Doo 600 Rev and I Used a little Isoflex grease on them. That doesn’t help you much I know. I know ski Doo calls for Petamo grease on them but nobody does it cause it’s crazy expensive. What does the manual call for? What did it look like they used on the crankcase mating surface? Hopefully your going to use three bond 1184? Or moto bond, yamabond? It’s all the same stuff. They used to call for 518 loctite but I think people like the three bond better. Make sure whatever you use to go around the bolt holes in the casing with it in a continuous bead. I would think that wasn’t done originally, after seeing so much on here going wrong with SBT engines I don’t think I would ever get one. GOOD JOB, by the way,

Like I mentioned before only crank seals I’ve ever done was on a ski Doo 600 Rev and I Used a little Isoflex grease on them. That doesn’t help you much I know. I know ski Doo calls for Petamo grease on them but nobody does it cause it’s crazy expensive. What does the manual call for? What did it look like they used on the crankcase mating surface? Hopefully your going to use three bond 1184? Or moto bond, yamabond? It’s all the same stuff. They used to call for 518 loctite but I think people like the three bond better. Make sure whatever you use to go around the bolt holes in the casing with it in a continuous bead. I would think that wasn’t done originally, after seeing so much on here going wrong with SBT engines I don’t think I would ever get one. GOOD JOB, by the way,

No worries. Yeah manual doesn't call for anything on seals but since it's an old motor I've always been curious if anyone puts a little sealant on. Yeah I've got some Moto seal which everyone seems to say is just like three Bond for the case... Apparently this was a factory crate motor and there actually wasn't anything on the case really... Guess there should have been lol. Ill get her sealed up tighter than 2 coats of paint here soon. 💪

Well sealed engine all up tonight and did my pressure test!

Wsm seal mag side was leaking pretty good so I threw the factory one back in and it was better but still tiny little bubbles leaking. Video shows the WSM one. Like what the crap I never even had a problem with that seal in the first place that I know of. And I greased the seal lips putting it in.

That is a sad video, i feel bad for you, there seems to be a jinx on this engine. Only thing I can say is I’ve seen it posted that people like OEM for those seals.

Well had an interesting time with my third seal (still waiting for the OEM seal to be delivered Monday but my power sports shop had an aftermarket seal thought I would try for fun). Was still bubbling a bit and not passing pressure test. So I rotated the crank a bunch of times seeing if that would help and voila had held pressure at 7 lb for 10 minutes. So I'm thinking that seal needs a little grease and for the crank to be rotated in a bunch of times just to get it sitting right. Then do your pressure test...

Attachments

• PXL_20230728_003526556.jpg
    PXL_20230728_003526556.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 10
@burtshaver2021 I think it could be jinxed. I was just gently tightening up the oil pump and the ear busted off of it for Frick's sake. Searching for an oil pump now LOL.

Attachments

• PXL_20230730_163719425.jpg
    PXL_20230730_163719425.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 9
Updated PWC used parts & Salvage Yards

That should be an easy find, if you can’t find one locally I’ve attached a thread with a list of salvage yards. Just a FYI when I used to order from the state’s I would sometimes get crazy charges from the delivery company for brokerage and duty and what not. I ended up getting a MY US Address through a company , way better, I pay 4.25 each way to cross the bridge and 7.00 per parcel. Usually at customs they just wave me on through and rarely even pay duty. Just a thought if you order parts from the states much and have such a service in your area. For me it’s only a 10 minute drive from my doorstep to the address in the state’s

Updated PWC used parts & Salvage Yards

That should be an easy find, if you can’t find one locally I’ve attached a thread with a list of salvage yards. Just a FYI when I used to order from the state’s I would sometimes get crazy charges from the delivery company for brokerage and duty and what not. I ended up getting a MY US Address through a company , way better, I pay 4.25 each way to cross the bridge and 7.00 per parcel. Usually at customs they just wave me on through and rarely even pay duty. Just a thought if you order parts from the states much and have such a service in your area. For me it’s only a 10 minute drive from my doorstep to the address in the state’s

Haha thats awesome. I got a myus address as well so handy. I actually lucked out and a dude in Regina had some extra parts so I put it on. On another note with that oil pump I noticed my oil pump shaft is different than what it specs on the parts microfiche for a 1996 GTX. The one in black is the one on my machine right now but the one in white is the one that says it's supposed to have. Think it matters? The black one just fits on the outside of the crank nut, but the white one looks like it just pushes into the end of the crank... Looks like the one on mine came off a 1998 GTX RFI... I can get a white one but it's all buttoned up already for fix sake. What you think?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230731-200601.png
    Screenshot_20230731-200601.png
    316.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20230731-200516.png
    Screenshot_20230731-200516.png
    476.6 KB · Views: 5
Haha thats awesome. I got a myus address as well so handy. I actually lucked out and a dude in Regina had some extra parts so I put it on. On another note with that oil pump I noticed my oil pump shaft is different than what it specs on the parts microfiche for a 1996 GTX. The one in black is the one on my machine right now but the one in white is the one that says it's supposed to have. Think it matters? The black one just fits on the outside of the crank nut, but the white one looks like it just pushes into the end of the crank... Looks like the one on mine came off a 1998 GTX RFI... I can get a white one but it's all buttoned up already for fix sake. What you think?
Geeez, another thing I don’t know. I think I’ve probably already shared just about everything I do know. If you can put it on and it feels right than I would go with it. You will know

The black oil pump drive is the new updated part, white one was discontinued years ago. Neither is better than the other so don't worry.

Doing break in now. Oil in gas 50:1. Seems to be going good! Compression 160 a side. Only have about an hour total riding so far. I camera scoped cylinder after the hour vprobably shouldn't lol... Im assuming vertical lines are just rings not seating fully yet as the cylinders aren't scratched just visually marked.....

Attachments

• PHO-00012.JPG
    PHO-00012.JPG
    216.3 KB · Views: 4
  • PHO-00008.JPG
    PHO-00008.JPG
    236.4 KB · Views: 4
  • PHO-00009.JPG
    PHO-00009.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 5
  • PHO-00011.JPG
    PHO-00011.JPG