1996 Seadoo GTX/1998 Seadoo GTX Limited

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckpaulson

Hello all.

Bought the pair on Craigslist a month or so ago and they are causing us all sorts of problems.

96 shifter seems to be stuck and wont engage gear and just revs when throttled. Any suggestions?

98 is the bigger issue. Exhaust manifold has two bolts that just fly out when throttled, water flows through and fills the bottom very quickly. Had a mechanic replace the bolts and thought all was ok but the same thing happened again. They don't seem to be stripped at all. What can we do to get these to stay in so we can enjoy it?

Thanks.

There is no "gear" in jet skis or jet boats. The impeller spins the moment the engine is started. There is a bucket in the rear that directs the water flow to give you reverse and neutral. Otherwise it is Always in the forward position.

The most likely issue is a wiped out wear ring.

Climb under the ski and looking up through the intake grate take a picture of the impeller/wear ring. I'm wanting to see the gap from the impeller to the wear ring. If it is wider than the thickness of a dime the ring needs replaced. There is a chance the impeller is bad as well, but we will be able to see that in the picture you post.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the 98' is it the bolts from the manifold to the cylinder or from the manifold to pipe?

My 1996 GTX's wear ring was basically missing. It sat and basically blew the ring out the back the first time it was on the water. Once I replaced it (easy job, unlike my 1995) it ran great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back