1996 GTI key Electrical problems

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I hope someone can help me. I have a 1996 Seadoo GTI which I have owned for about 10 years now. It has always been totally reliable, however last season I started to have problems with the key. You would have to plug it on again and again a few times to get any life into the ski to start it. I managed to get the ski running about 2 weeks ago but since then there is no life whatsoever when you plug the key on to the pole. I have bought a brand new fully charged battery and also checked and cleaned every electrical connection on the bike with no luck. Also checked the fuses and they are fine. Does anyone have any advice for me as I think it may be the memory key that is the problem?. I love this bike and really want to get it running. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Drew

It could be a dirty lanyard post on your seadoo. Try using soap and water to wash it. Do not use any grease of any coating as it will not allow a good connection to the rom chip in the lanyard cap. Just wash it and leave it to dry.

Karl

Thanks a lot for your reply Karl. Unfortunately I have already tried this and it's really clean. I have spoken to a Seadoo dealer and I can get a new lanyard post for £70, however I can't be sure that the problem is the post. Do you know if it is an easy job to change the post?. Any other suggestions would be welcome. Thanks again.

The post is jut a couple wires to change it out. Just change it and go . If the lanyard cap needs to be changed, you have to have the seadoo dealer re-program it to communicate to the MPEM.

Karl

Seadoo GTI 1996

Hi Karl,

I just wanted to say a big thank you for your advice about swapping out the post. It worked great!. There are a couple of problems that I wanted to ask for your advice about. I was out on the ski today and it has been working fine, however when out on the water today the ski started to keep fading when the throttle was open, it gradually got worst and I ended up driving home really slow even with the throttle completely open. I checked underneath the ski and there isn't anything clogging the impeller casing. Do you have any suggestions on what it may be or anything I should check first. Also I wanted to ask you, since I changed the post my speedo and fuel gauge hasn't worked. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give, your advice has been extremely helpful in the past,

Kind Regards

Drew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back