1996 GTI idenity crisis?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gene De Gennaro

I acquired a 1996 GTI which I've set up for fishing (fish finder, rocket tubes, rod holders, tackle box, etc) and the GTI size and stability works great for this. I fish the California Delta and we have species from panfish up to stripped Bass, salmon and Sturgeon. The ski makes a great bass busting platform. You can troll or drift fish.

I finished the retro about 2 months ago, and I've had the ski out about 6 weekends, this past being the most current. Up to the past weekend I've run the Ski at slower speeds, around 15-20 mph's

While cruising from "Hotspot 1" to "Hotspot 2" I acceletated up to a high speed and was cruising along nicely maybe for 5 minutes, (first time highspeed run since getting ski) when the engine shut down and I was "Gliding" along . It felt like the engine ran out of gas (tank was full). When I tried to restart the battery wouldn't crank the engine over on the first or second try, it felt like a low battery charge, I waited a moment then switched the gas selector to reserve, primed it, hit the switch and it started running. After running at low speed for awhile I switched back to main gas and the ski ran well at lower speeds. When I accelerated back to a high speed I had a repeat of the stall.

When I got home I pulled out the SeaDoo shop manual, checked the forums for similar problems and got a few Ideas on what the problem might be.

This is where it gets interesting. I wanted to find out exactly which model GTI I had (for parts ordering), following the manual I checked for the ID's. The tag on the left rear of the Ski had no 4 digit code (5865, 5866, 5867). I then checked the engine looking for a tag on the upper side of the magneto and there was none, instead I found it on top of the Magneto and it read Rotax model 657X

According to several websites and the manual, The GTI was never built with a 657X, and there was no GTI in 1995. Also the 657's were phased out entirely in 1996. Checking into it more it looks like the engine is factory mounted so I am guessing someone hadn't dropped in a different engine. (don't think a 657X would mate in place of a 717) Also, My understanding is the 657X was only used in 94 -XP's and 95 SPX and GTX models.

Is there some visual distinction between a 657X and a 717 block that I can use to ID the engine and if so what is it? I believe the 657's have an elbow fitting on the head, located on the Right Hand Top & the 717's do not? My Ski does not have the elbow. The Ski has DESS.

Meanwhile I am trying to guess possible senarios on what I have, maybe a switched out Mag housing? But the exhaust is a 657 style too. Maybe someone in the past dropped in smaller engine (naw) or a Pre-Prod Factory Built (the missing 4 digit code plays into this), or?

I've attached some pic's for ref, looking for ideas and comments on resolving what engine I've got. Need to get this resolved quickly, thanks for your help in advance..

Best regards
Gene

Attachments

• 1996 GTI rear tag, no 4 digit model number.JPG
    1996 GTI rear tag, no 4 digit model number.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 1996 GTI - On Ca. Delta Water.JPG
    1996 GTI - On Ca. Delta Water.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 1996 GTI Mag Top Label close up.JPG
    1996 GTI Mag Top Label close up.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 1996 GTI Engine Head.JPG
    1996 GTI Engine Head.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 1996 GTI 657X Exhaust 2.JPG
    1996 GTI 657X Exhaust 2.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 28
well as far as your stalling issue goes, what color are your fuel lines, are the gray? do they say tempo on them?

the newest model I found with a 657 was the SPX and GTX both of 1995. My neighbor has a 96 GTi (pic attached) beside the missing decal on yours, you also have a gas or oil filler cap under the mirror....he doesn't.

How do you know for sure that it's a GTi??

Attachments

• IMG_0255.jpg
    IMG_0255.jpg
    599.2 KB · Views: 20
The factory decals under the steering handlebars are "GTI"

What your seeing isn't a gas/oil filler, its a RAM ball mount for my fish finder/GPS unit. I've got 4 mounts on the ski, 2 aft for rod/rocket tubes, and the 2 on the sides for electronics.

The factory decals under the steering handlebars are "GTI"

What your seeing isn't a gas/oil filler, its a RAM ball mount for my fish finder/GPS unit. I've got 4 mounts on the ski, 2 aft for rod/rocket tubes, and the 2 on the sides for electronics.

Ok, thanks. I assume that the PO (previous owner) switched out a 717 to a 657 motor. Who knows why??? 5 less HP but maybe he got it real cheap

yeah , that there is your problem. those are the factory lines, and they break down on the inside and send junk into your carbs. you need to get them out of there and replace them , i bought fast flow transparent lines off of ebay, you need about 25 feet (give or take) i bought 50 and did the cooling lines as well.........but yeah , you need to replace those lines, take off your fuel selector and clean it , clean/replace the in line fuel/water seperator filter , and then rebuild your carbs, the filters should be all gunked up. and whatever you do DO NOT RUN THIS SKI until you get it fixed. the bog that your experiencing is the gunk from those lines leaning out the cylenders, if you to continue to run it , you'll blow your top end.

it probably also wouldnt hurt to install an in line fuel filter down towards the engine, thats what i did, just to be safe.

while your at it , look at the oil lines, the oem ones were painted and the paint tends to crack and cut the lines, sending you on a one way trip to a tied up engine, if they look like they need replaced , they are 3/32 tygon fuel line (chainsaw/weedwacker fuel line)

sorry i just wrote you a book, but i was in your same situation a month and a half ago........it caused me my motor.

they are grey and do say tempo

I would change them to black auto fuel line ASAP. The gray one "melt" and leave green goo through out the fuel lines and carbs. Clean the carb filter too.

this green goo can cause a lean burn problem which will destroy the motor.

i should also note, that the oil lines i was talking about were the injector lines, not the lines coming from the tank , but the ones coming from the oil pump , going to the rotary valve cover

I acquired a 1996 GTI which I've set up for fishing (fish finder, rocket tubes, rod holders, tackle box, etc) and the GTI size and stability works great for this. I fish the California Delta and we have species from panfish up to stripped Bass, salmon and Sturgeon. The ski makes a great bass busting platform. You can troll or drift fish.

I finished the retro about 2 months ago, and I've had the ski out about 6 weekends, this past being the most current. Up to the past weekend I've run the Ski at slower speeds, around 15-20 mph's

While cruising from "Hotspot 1" to "Hotspot 2" I acceletated up to a high speed and was cruising along nicely maybe for 5 minutes, (first time highspeed run since getting ski) when the engine shut down and I was "Gliding" along . It felt like the engine ran out of gas (tank was full). When I tried to restart the battery wouldn't crank the engine over on the first or second try, it felt like a low battery charge, I waited a moment then switched the gas selector to reserve, primed it, hit the switch and it started running. After running at low speed for awhile I switched back to main gas and the ski ran well at lower speeds. When I accelerated back to a high speed I had a repeat of the stall.

When I got home I pulled out the SeaDoo shop manual, checked the forums for similar problems and got a few Ideas on what the problem might be.

This is where it gets interesting. I wanted to find out exactly which model GTI I had (for parts ordering), following the manual I checked for the ID's. The tag on the left rear of the Ski had no 4 digit code (5865, 5866, 5867). I then checked the engine looking for a tag on the upper side of the magneto and there was none, instead I found it on top of the Magneto and it read Rotax model 657X

According to several websites and the manual, The GTI was never built with a 657X, and there was no GTI in 1995. Also the 657's were phased out entirely in 1996. Checking into it more it looks like the engine is factory mounted so I am guessing someone hadn't dropped in a different engine. (don't think a 657X would mate in place of a 717) Also, My understanding is the 657X was only used in 94 -XP's and 95 SPX and GTX models.

Is there some visual distinction between a 657X and a 717 block that I can use to ID the engine and if so what is it? I believe the 657's have an elbow fitting on the head, located on the Right Hand Top & the 717's do not? My Ski does not have the elbow. The Ski has DESS.

Meanwhile I am trying to guess possible senarios on what I have, maybe a switched out Mag housing? But the exhaust is a 657 style too. Maybe someone in the past dropped in smaller engine (naw) or a Pre-Prod Factory Built (the missing 4 digit code plays into this), or?

I've attached some pic's for ref, looking for ideas and comments on resolving what engine I've got. Need to get this resolved quickly, thanks for your help in advance..

Best regards
Gene

The 3rd pic is a 720 head. 657X & 720's use same magnito= flywheel/stator/mpem, so these two motors are family similiar. That said, YES, most likly a changed out magnito houseing, as an interchange.

Go thru the entire fuel system to return to 100% performance. Then every two years. Obtain a Shop Manual and read the CARB ADJUSTMENT sticky in its entirty. Remove your carbs/RV cover as an assembly and flow test the oil pump and replace the oil lines to RV spigots.Use BRP mineral oil for your Rotax for best engine life longevity.

Bills86e

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this is an old post, but I was also trying to find the same answer as I was looking at a parts diagram. This is what I found. I'm not sure what the touring seat is, but this may help someone.

MODEL NAME MODEL
NO.

SP . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5876
SPX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5877
SPI . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5878
XP . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5858
XP (P.D.I. Ready) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5859
GSX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5620
GTS . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5817
GTI . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5865
GTI (Touring Seat) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5866
GTI (single carb) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5867
GTX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5640
HX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5881

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back