1996 GSX whine

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I acquired a 1996 gsx from uncle and it has sat for the last 3 years. Drained the old gas put fresh gas in and a new battery and she fired right up!
The issue is there a very loud whining noise from the driveline/impeller maybe?
Is there a grease fitting or a bearing or oil or something to service this?

Attachments

• 08D986AA-F296-427C-9921-B0C12DB70F5D.jpeg
    08D986AA-F296-427C-9921-B0C12DB70F5D.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
There is a zerk fitting on the PTO side of the driveline, but not on the pump side. You do want to make sure you have fresh pump oil in the cone though. Do a search for “Pump Oil Change” and you should find a how-to on that. Also, keep in mind that Sea Doos do tend to rattle and make a lot of noise while run out of the water...

Last edited:
Check motor alignment. Easy to do if you can borrow the tool.

When I rebuilt my 94 xp I was so amped to go try it that I forgot to do a motor alignment. About 30 minutes into the first ride I started hearing a whine. After an hour it sounded like I had a little supercharger under the hood. After I got the motor aligned the sound was still there, I had worn the drive shaft, pto, impeller somewhere. The sound eventually started to fade as things worn in. It went away when I replaced the drive shaft.

Do the jet pump oil check first.

Remove your pump cone, if the oil that comes out, is milky, meaning water intrusion, your bearing in the pump could be gone.

Always good advise to service the jet pump.

That being said the seadoo's make all kinds of pump noise when running out of the trailer, from rattling to clanking to a little screeching and it's all perfectly normal.

Yes, the seadoos out of the water rattle, but normally, a whining sound seems bearing related, if you put your hand on the rear side of the hull, do you feel a vibration?

Does the hull vibrate while the ski is on the trailor?...or since its from the rear,perhaps it is engine related?,,,rear crank bearings, or counterbalanced bearing failure?

Hopefully the video attachment works
First off thank you all for the replies! I first started by changing the oil in the jet pump, wasted my money on an anti rattle kit that didn’t fit, then put the stock cone on. Then i greased the grease point under the plastic cover
Here is a video of the sounds it makes. Sounds the same on the trailer and in the water
Ps don’t mind my goofy ass tripping over stuff, waiting on our house to be finished so everything’s in the new shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back