1996 gsx oil leaking from head/gasket

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

air9

What's up guys.

I have a 96 gsx that I just pulled out of storage and was prepping to use it for the 1st time this season. Did the yearly maintenance (pump oil, plugs, grease) like ever year. After I had it running I noticed oil seeping out from between the head and jug. What am I looking at here? Bad head gasket? Larger issues?

Thanks.
388e401a4288e7faff40e14ab8f53904.jpg

Looks like some old sealant to me. The head shell is a cooling jacket to the outer edge... so the only thing that could be leaking from that point is water.

To me... that's a non-issue.

Well i cleaned it up and let it run again. Starting leaking again. Same oily liquid came out from the same spot. So something is going on. Any idea where to start?

Thanks.

Probably going to have to pull the head. As Dr. Honda said, there should be no oil in that area, just air and water.

Looks like some old sealant to me. The head shell is a cooling jacket to the outer edge... so the only thing that could be leaking from that point is water.

To me... that's a non-issue.

Probably going to have to pull the head. As Dr. Honda said, there should be no oil in that area, just air and water.

So upon further inspection i found oil on the other side of the head as well. Looks like it may have started last year judging by the amount splattered everywhere. I cleaned the carb filters last year and the ski ran hard the few times i had it on the lake. Started right up this season too.

I'll have to pull the head off and see whats going on. Whats my best case scenario? Bad gasket or seal? Hoping for the best! I'll report back with my findings.

So I was able to pull the head off today. Nothing really stuck out as an obvious issue. Piston tops looked ok aside from some carbon build up. Domes looked good. Rubber gaskets in all areas looked fine. I thought everything looked decent for 22 year old engine with 125 hours on it.

I may get a top end o ring set to see if that changes anything. I attached some pictures. Any input would be appreciated.
65d12fb655fe3b9219e58207da24e7ad.jpg
53c7fcd571bdfadcb9dd083892f965d0.jpg
b2422087e226ee1f9c1232f373bf5a45.jpg
c7358e5ebb9cbc90bb9660e4db474d66.jpg
f2d1c34d0d0af712168ed4b97ded8c14.jpg

Other than looking a tad lean on the PTO jug... looks good to me. Like I said above... it's a non issue, and can't really be oil.

But, since it's apart, replace the O-rings, and turn both high screws out 1/8 turn.

Actually, it's not oil. It's just a bit of moisture with the head and cylinders micro vibrating causing a greyish black residue. I've seen that once the OEM paint has finally split at that seam. Nothing to worry about. Kinda sucks you opened the thing up, but you know what it looks like inside.

Yea it's reassuring knowing that everything looks good on the top end. I ordered new o rings since it's apart.

That's interesting about the moisture and vibration causing this. It does look like a grayish oily substance. I took it out last year twice and it made a mess inside the hull though . I thought something major had gone wrong.

I'll replace the o rings and see whet happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back