1995 Yamaha Waveraider

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I picked up what I thought was a waverer turned out to be a wave raider. I ordered the OSD back to stock carb kits and a few base gaskets to reinstall. Also got a new fuel switch and will replace the fuel lines, oil lines and filters. I am cleaning out the fuel tank and oil tank as well. I checked compression and it looks like it is 115/115 on a cheap but New HF compression tester. I guess i need to check the calibration of it, but at these numbers am I looking at a top end rebuild now or in the future? Maybe it will hold together for the rest of the season.

THe HF testers are junk and should never be bought or trusted.

Check it with a good tester before spending a dime on that ski.

They really aren't worth much on the used market so don't dump a bunch of money into it.

i just tested the hf gauge against the gauge on my pop off tester and it reads the same.But do you have a suggestion to a compression gauge that doesn't break the bank?

is the whole kit bad or just the gauge? I may have a better gauge off another project i could swap over...

Last edited:
It's the entire kit.

I use the $50 from Autozone, I think it is Actron?

150 psi is perfect and at 120 psi the engine is done and needs a rebuild. Cylinders should be even.

No special tools. For pistons I like Pro-X or WSM. OEM gaskets are the bes but WSM are ok.

I have all my cylinders bored by Group K.

Check compression before doing anything.
I found my old compression tester. Bought the new HF because I thought I needed a new one and I wanted one with a case. My old one is an Innova 3612 I bought at AZ years ago. Lost all the adapters except the one I need so thats good. I used the Innova this morning to test it and the compression on both cylinders were 160psi. Never would have guessed the HF gauge would be that far off. May pick up another new one today from Oriellys while I'm out to make the deciding factor....

Honestly I would trust anything but the HF gauge.

Perfect compression on that is 150 psi so I would say your are good to go and run that thing.

If it were me the only thing I would do on the yamaha is two new plugs, Should be Br8HS, not ES like the Seadoos. New carb kits and a fuel filter.

The yamaha's really don't have all the maintenance things like the seadoos and are pretty bulletproof.

What engine do you have

Just tested with a new innova compression tester. Got 160/160 so i agree i think good. I did notice the different in spark plugs as well. Got a carb kit coming and figured i might as well replace the fuel lines and oil lines since they seem old and brittle. The engine is the 700/701. Model RA700AT, so i think its the heavier slower model. But if she runs it will be good for the family. Hope to get it running so we can all get back on the water since my son damaged our boat on Monday... unhooked it from the truck and down the hill she went .....

Attachments

• IMG_5025.JPG
    IMG_5025.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 13
Oops! Get him some wheel chocks for his birthday.

The 701 is bulletproof and came in everything from the superjet to the 3 seters.

As all carbs make sure the kit is only Genuine Mikuni or you will have issues.

I plan to work on this ski tomorrow but I think I may be short on fuel line. The stock lines don't seem to be the same as what was in the seadoo. Would these still be tempo lines? They are grey and are original so should they still be replaced? I was hoping to not have to run back into town but who know what else I may need while working on my other projects tomorrow as well....

The Yamaha stuff is really good and does not go bad like the seadoo.

As long as it isn't rock hard there really isn't a good reason to replace the Yamaha or Kawasaki hoses.

I went ahead and replaced it all as some areas were rock hard. I rebuilt the carbs with the "back to OEM" kit. It will not run properly. I have to use the choke to keep it going and then it revs high and dies if I don't use the choke. I cleaned the carbs as well as any I do. I did not follow the sticky with the popoffs and leak down. I was hoping with the OEM kit i wouldn't have to. Was this a mistake? I plan to go back through them in the AM if needed. Since this ski is new to me should I be worried about the reeds? I set the carbs HS at 5/8 for the front and 1-1/4 for the rear, and both LS at 5/8. Not sure what I could have missed when cleaning the carb. The one think I did notice was the valve seat end that goes into the carb was different than the old one. It looks to have a small ridge running around the "nipple" and this one was hard to insert. I compared it to the cheap knock off set I bought and it matched. I'll get pics when I go back into it. Is there anything else that would cause it to not idle properly?

Also didn't have a flush kit so I tee'd into the hose that goes to the exhaust manifold. Hope this was the right one.

Took it to the river today. She idled for about 5 min. Would bog and die trying to get on plane. Then stopped running at all. On the way home now to diagnose what the issue is. I know it’s getting fuel so I start with spark and then double check fuel and compression. The display doesn’t work so I have no idea if there are any sensors that would keep it from working. I did not see a water stream come out other than the one that shoots up from the rear deck. Is there another tale-tell for the cooling?

Got it home and checked that we have spark and it does. Compression is at 125/130 now. Plugs are very wet like its getting to much fuel so I pulled the cover off the carbs and took a video. It looks like there is way to much fuel being dumped through the carbs. When you rev it, fuel blows out the carbs. This doesn't look right to me but I am not sure. Just seems way to rich to me.....

I think I have a bad reed valve as the spark plug on the front cylinder looks new and the rear plug is darker. Im going to pull the reeds and check them out. Is it ok to put used reeds back in or should I put new only?

Last edited:
I like to use new reeds as if the stock ones are stainless when they go the will damage the engine.
The easiest is the Boyesen fiberglass reeds.

Just tested with a new innova compression tester. Got 160/160 so i agree i think good. I did notice the different in spark plugs as well. Got a carb kit coming and figured i might as well replace the fuel lines and oil lines since they seem old and brittle. The engine is the 700/701. Model RA700AT, so i think its the heavier slower model. But if she runs it will be good for the family. Hope to get it running so we can all get back on the water since my son damaged our boat on Monday... unhooked it from the truck and down the hill she went .....
Ahh hell...my daughter managed to wrap a dock line around our brand new 2019 merc outboard on the pontoon (2 weeks old)....not nearly as bad as your troubles there...but KIDS! Hope you can get her right again.....that 250 is heavy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back