Shop Discount Sea-Doo Parts

1995 Yamaha Waveraider

Water Crafts
1997 GTX
So I picked up what I thought was a waverer turned out to be a wave raider. I ordered the OSD back to stock carb kits and a few base gaskets to reinstall. Also got a new fuel switch and will replace the fuel lines, oil lines and filters. I am cleaning out the fuel tank and oil tank as well. I checked compression and it looks like it is 115/115 on a cheap but New HF compression tester. I guess i need to check the calibration of it, but at these numbers am I looking at a top end rebuild now or in the future? Maybe it will hold together for the rest of the season.

mikidymac

Staff member
Water Crafts
2003 GTI
2001 XP
1996 XP
1996 HX
1991 Superjet
2001 Superjet
THe HF testers are junk and should never be bought or trusted.

Check it with a good tester before spending a dime on that ski.

They really aren't worth much on the used market so don't dump a bunch of money into it.

Water Crafts
1997 GTX
i just tested the hf gauge against the gauge on my pop off tester and it reads the same.But do you have a suggestion to a compression gauge that doesn't break the bank?

is the whole kit bad or just the gauge? I may have a better gauge off another project i could swap over...

Last edited:

mikidymac

Staff member
Water Crafts
2003 GTI
2001 XP
1996 XP
1996 HX
1991 Superjet
2001 Superjet
It's the entire kit.

I use the $50 from Autozone, I think it is Actron?

150 psi is perfect and at 120 psi the engine is done and needs a rebuild. Cylinders should be even.

mikidymac

Staff member
Water Crafts
2003 GTI
2001 XP
1996 XP
1996 HX
1991 Superjet
2001 Superjet
No special tools. For pistons I like Pro-X or WSM. OEM gaskets are the bes but WSM are ok.

I have all my cylinders bored by Group K.

Water Crafts
1997 GTX
Check compression before doing anything.
I found my old compression tester. Bought the new HF because I thought I needed a new one and I wanted one with a case. My old one is an Innova 3612 I bought at AZ years ago. Lost all the adapters except the one I need so thats good. I used the Innova this morning to test it and the compression on both cylinders were 160psi. Never would have guessed the HF gauge would be that far off. May pick up another new one today from Oriellys while I'm out to make the deciding factor....

mikidymac

Staff member
Water Crafts
2003 GTI
2001 XP
1996 XP
1996 HX
1991 Superjet
2001 Superjet
Honestly I would trust anything but the HF gauge.

Perfect compression on that is 150 psi so I would say your are good to go and run that thing.

If it were me the only thing I would do on the yamaha is two new plugs, Should be Br8HS, not ES like the Seadoos. New carb kits and a fuel filter.

The yamaha's really don't have all the maintenance things like the seadoos and are pretty bulletproof.

What engine do you have

Water Crafts
1997 GTX
Just tested with a new innova compression tester. Got 160/160 so i agree i think good. I did notice the different in spark plugs as well. Got a carb kit coming and figured i might as well replace the fuel lines and oil lines since they seem old and brittle. The engine is the 700/701. Model RA700AT, so i think its the heavier slower model. But if she runs it will be good for the family. Hope to get it running so we can all get back on the water since my son damaged our boat on Monday... unhooked it from the truck and down the hill she went .....

Attachments

mikidymac

Staff member
Water Crafts
2003 GTI
2001 XP
1996 XP
1996 HX
1991 Superjet
2001 Superjet
Oops! Get him some wheel chocks for his birthday.

The 701 is bulletproof and came in everything from the superjet to the 3 seters.

As all carbs make sure the kit is only Genuine Mikuni or you will have issues.

Water Crafts
1997 GTX
I plan to work on this ski tomorrow but I think I may be short on fuel line. The stock lines don't seem to be the same as what was in the seadoo. Would these still be tempo lines? They are grey and are original so should they still be replaced? I was hoping to not have to run back into town but who know what else I may need while working on my other projects tomorrow as well....

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:5)

SPONSORED LINKS

Latest posts

Usergroup

Administrator Moderator Premium Member