1994 seadoo xp dies/surges at full throttle after a few seconds

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Owenl

Hey my 1994 seadoo xp runs good and starts up instantly but when you go full throttle it dies after 5 seconds or so of being full throttle I took it to the shop and me and the jetski mechanic (bob) looked at it and fixed a few things but that didn’t fix the problem and help?

Typically you are starving for fuel and will ruin the engine if you keep riding it that way.
Fuel system and carbs should be your first look.

Wondering about a similar issue I have with my 1993 Seadoo Spi. It will idle all day long but bogs hard and sometimes will surge as well. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Pop off tested at 25psi, cleaned the carb, tank, lines are new. I do believe it is fuel related but not sure what to do next. I ordered a new fuel selector valve, but unsure how to “know” if the one on the ski is bad.

Wondering about a similar issue I have with my 1993 Seadoo Spi. It will idle all day long but bogs hard and sometimes will surge as well. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Pop off tested at 25psi, cleaned the carb, tank, lines are new. I do believe it is fuel related but not sure what to do next. I ordered a new fuel selector valve, but unsure how to “know” if the one on the ski is bad.
Same issue I had the carbs looked at by my jetski mechanic and he said they looked good so I still have no idea. I’ve just been working on another ski

Well I am floating it tomorrow at Del Mar so I will keep you posted. It ran well today after I rebuilt the carb with Mikuni parts. More to follow

It ran like a dream, had some surging at the WOT but only for like the first pass. Seems to be running great now. If I had to “guess” what my problem was, I would say that it was low speed and high speed adjustments I made. When I took the carb apart the first time I put the screws back in like they were. After reading these forums and more research I set them to factory and tweaked very little on the low speed to get it dialed in.

It ran like a dream, had some surging at the WOT but only for like the first pass. Seems to be running great now. If I had to “guess” what my problem was, I would say that it was low speed and high speed adjustments I made. When I took the carb apart the first time I put the screws back in like they were. After reading these forums and more research I set them to factory and tweaked very little on the low speed to get it dialed in.
I have my carbs set properly the high speed is at 0 I’ll try opening it up a 1/4 of a turn. Where is the high speed screw at and which carb? Is it the one in the front or in the back?

Owen, best way I can say is the low speed is on the side of the throttle cable on mine. The high speed have a cap (left side if you are looking down at the carb with it in the ski) on top. It is labeled on the carb but I imagine you cannot see it without the carb off.

Owen, best way I can say is the low speed is on the side of the throttle cable on mine. The high speed have a cap (left side if you are looking down at the carb with it in the ski) on top. It is labeled on the carb but I imagine you cannot see it without the carb off.
Couldn’t see them with the carbs on but I had finally found a video to help me the low speed has the t shape and it’s on the side of the throttle cable and the high speed is just on the other side. Thanks for the help tho. I’m going to test it again on the lake today

I would be careful adjusting the low and high speed screws, you can lean out your engine and blow it up. always do a spark plug test after you mess with them to verify you aren't lean. It doesn't take much to screw this up! there is a good YouTube video on this and a write up on this forum about those adjustments.

Last edited:
Couldn’t see them with the carbs on but I had finally found a video to help me the low speed has the t shape and it’s on the side of the throttle cable and the high speed is just on the other side. Thanks for the help tho. I’m going to test it again on the lake today
update I took it out same thing went to the docks and tried adjusting it again went to 1/4 to a half a turn same thing. Then to 0 same thing and then lastly I tired 1/8 of a turn and thing. Now that was only to the high speed not the low speed but i plan to take it to the mechanic and have him look at the carbs again

Mine was all low speed and believe it or not, my idle needed to go up some. Mine is working well for now what did the mechanic come up with?

Back