1991 seadoo gt rattle

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jfulton20

hey guys i really appreciate all your help as I am pretty new to jetskis (im big into snowmobiles). I recently got a 1991 seadoo gt as a non runner for dirt cheap. I got it running and rode it around a little bit yesterday and it rode great. I was going to do some more testing today but I noticed a noise when I shut the engine off. as the engine comes to a stop it sounds like gravel or ball bearings are bouncing around and then settling somewhere. I cant hear anything when it's running and it sounds great when it running. I took the front plate off and was spinning the engine over by hand and you can hear at the same point in each rotation it sounds like a ball bearing is being dropped onto metal. if anyone has any ideas on what this could be that would be greatly appreciated

for anyone that would like an update, I ended up pulling the motor and completely stripping it down and I discovered that the outside 2 pto crank bearings went bad. what happend is the ball bearing separator that holds the ball bearings in there place compared to each other in-between the bearing races has broken apart allowing for the ball bearings to freely float in-between the races. so when I was turing the motor over by hand, the ball bearings were getting pushed upward and then falling back down onto another ball bearing in the bottom of the race. that was causing the rattling noise. if anyone could give me some insight on how to replace these two bearings that would be greatly appreciated!!!

You can replace them with a good shop press but there is an exact distance they have to be apart and Seadoo has discontinued the special tool to set the distance. Given you already have two out of the 5-6 bearings bad I would get a reman crank and new seals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back