1989 Sea-Doo XP Mikuni BN 38mm Round Body Carburetor Trouble

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdebeaster

I've been working on a 1989 Sea-Doo XP and I just finished replacing all the fuel lines, replaced the fuel pump, and attempted a carb rebuild. The Sea-Doo will start with starting fluid and then quit. I believe that fuel is properly getting to the carb, but not to the engine. The carb could need to be replaced. I am not sure if the corroded circle in the picture attached is the problem.i attached a picture of my carb, and then what another used one on eBay looks like. I would greatly appreciate any advice.
Thanks
Let me know if the pictures need to be re-attached
image.jpg
image.jpg

First off, welcome to the forum!

Now on to business. NEVER use starting fluid on these, or IMO any engine that you want to keep! Ether is very dry and if using too much, can blow the head off, crack a piston, many things.

If your fuel lines are routed correctly, if they are new, you have to crank the engine for 15-20 seconds (remove the plugs, this helps the starter) FYI do not crank the engine over (with plugs in) for longer than 10 second intervals. Then let cool 20-30 seconds before trying to start it again.

As for the carb, since it is apart, you want to use carb cleaner and spray through every single orifice and make sure the fluid comes out somewhere from the carb. Next take a little wire (like from a wire wheel) and poke through all the little passages (especially the idle/mid range circuits. (inside the carb bore, hold the throttle/butterfly valve open and poke through each of the little holes at the top of the carb. Also, make sure to clean the little mesh filter inside the carb. Blow through all the passages again, and re-assemble. If you are using the same needle, seat, and spring combo, I would leave pop off test alone (unless you have a tester, then go ahead and test it. If not, no worries about it) If you are replacing gaskets, use only genuine OEM Mikuni rebuild kits. Not aftermarket.

Try saving the carb before rebuilding. The rusted circle is called a welch plug. To remove it, hammer a nail, or sharp pick through the center, then pry out. Under there, you will see tiny holes for the idle circuit. If the carb had lots of corrosion or water, then its possible there may be some gunk in there. But I would do that as a last resort. Normally, you don't have to mess with those.

Welcome Rdebeaster,

See below if you wish to add your info to the "Michigan Here" thread.

BiRks, Learned something new today about those plugs, thanks,
I assume he needs to replace those welch plugs. Are they available as parts?

You may have to match up the internal bore where the welch plug fits. I've done dozens on small engines, but normally new ones come in the kits! That being said, you may be able to match up your needs and find some on the internet like these http://www.ebay.com/itm/WELCH-PLUGS...Parts_Accessories&hash=item19dfac8bca&vxp=mtr

To re-install, take a round flat punch (I used to use an old busted flat head that I cut the "head" off and used the shank as a punch . One firm tap with a hammer and you just want to indent the center so it wont come out. Working at an evinrude dealer, we used a 3M gasket sealant (looked like a reddish-brown goo) and sealed any external plugs to prevent possible air leaks. Not necessary on internal ones like yours.

BiRkS,
Thank you for the reply. That's good to know about the ether. I did buy an OEM Mikuni rebuild kit, but it did not come with a new welch plug. I've cleaned all the orifices and the wholes inside the carb bore. I will give that a try now. Thanks again for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back