180 Cover: Does it use poles?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carboncow

I picked up an OEM cover for cheap on eBay. Beginning to wonder if one of the aftermarket ones would have been a better solution.

Now that I got it on I noted the bow and main body seem to droop enough into the hull that they will collect water...but I didn't notice a reinforcement stitched in either area for a pole or two.

Did you boat come with a pole and/or do I just not have it on tight enough to keep water from rolling off and not collection?

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on the tent poles. We have 2 that are connected to one another. One sits in the bow and has three straps on it. Two connect to each forward cleat at about 11 and 1 o'clock. the third strap runs back to the second pole in the main seating area and connects to the rear tent pole (this creates a "spine" for the cover to rest on). Then there's 2 straps coming off the rear tent pole at approximately 5 and 7 o'clock that connect the to the rear cleats.

I'll see if I can get in there and get you a pic when I get home later. One suggestion I will always make with any boat cover, is to try and make sure the cover is vented near the top. If it isn't, you can easily install your own. Really works well in keeping the mold and mildew in check by allowing for some air movement.

Here are some pics of our cover. The black things on top are the vents and I also posted a pic of where we added a screen to the rear access hatch to help air it out. You can see the 2 tent poles on the inside pics as well. We have a third pole on the transom step through to help keep the cover off the rear cushions.

Cover 1.jpg

Cover 2.jpg

Cover Screen.jpg

Tent Poles.jpg

Great photos. Did you add the reinforcements in the canvas or were those OEM?

Why does the back unzip? Mine has this too but no mesh...scratching my head of it's purpose cause it's not enough space to enter to get something.

Reinforcements? Do you mean the square pieces where the poles meet the cover on the inside pic? Those are where the vents were installed. My upholstery lady always add reinforcements when she's added vents to my covers. The top of the poles are flat and don't put much pressure on the cover.

The mesh was added by my upholstery lady this past winter, in addition to the side skirts to keep the sun off the black gel coat. I have no idea what the rear flap is really for aside from either access to the boat or so that you can cover the transom and platform when placing the cover on when the boat is in the water (moored). It would allow for you to open it and stand on the platform while you pull the cover over the edge of the platform. Then I guess you would step off the boat and close the flap???? We only use it to allow for additional airflow when she's covered in the driveway.

Yeah the square patches. I ordered iron on patches for my need. I also have mesh vents but I'm curious if those suffice for the cover bellowing while driving. Most of the aftermarket have a different vent type.

On my smaller 180 there is less room on that back but I think your theory is solid. I've never seen side skirts but maybe they are more common in Fla. either way it's prob smart with a colored hull. We get a fraction of the sun you do and painted boats don't last more the. 10 years unless there is lots of love!

I have an OEM '06 seadoo cover, it has built in ratchets, and it came with a anti-pooling, pole kit. Problem for me is I have never used it in 10 years because I keep my boat in the garage.... Having said that, I don't think it could ever be tight enough tho keep a heavy rain from pooling... Pick up an inexpensive after market pole kit, even if you have to prop a piece of carpet atop to keep pressure off the cover.......

I bought mine used, and it has mooring covers (snaps every foot or so, one for the bow, one for the cockpit) and a travel/storage cover (ratchets below the bumpers and is suitable for driving. The mooring cover has poles. The travel cover doesn't. So, I put the mooring covers on, and ten the travel cover so I don't get pooling.

I hope that makes sense...

We have yet to use the snap on bow and cockpit covers. They came with the boat, but we prefer the full coverage/protection of the full cover. I'm not sure how the snap on covers would handle trailering at highway speeds. Anyone use the snap on bow and cockpit covers while trailering?

We'd love to not have to use a cover at all, but the 210 is about 6" too long to fit in the garage. :facepalm:

I rarely use the cockpit covers aloan as well. I only really use them by themselves when we have the boat docked at the house we rent at the beach. It allows me to keep the boat covered at night and during the heat of the day when you're not using it, without getting in the water to use the full cover.

Good intel guys. Looks like I'm going to make a couple pole out of wood handles and tennis balls. I bought a couple iron on patches to put on the inside for reinforcement too. I know it sounds ghetto but my dad told me he used this technic for decades on our old boat!

We keep our big boat up on Lake Erie but I'll trailer the C180 home every weekend and park it next to the house...so I'll be using the painful to put on mooring cover regularly. Plus I heard it does pretty well on the freeway.

I have this warning on page 30 of my owners manual (2010 Challenger 210 SE) about towing with the mooring covers:

Attachments

• BRP Cover Warning.jpg
    BRP Cover Warning.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 57
Just for clarification, I finally had time to dig though and find a picture of my covers. Here is what I'm calling my mooring covers (w/ poles):
IMG_2058.jpg

Here is what I'm calling my storage/travel cover:

1008062L.jpg

Just for clarification, I finally had time to dig though and find a picture of my covers. Here is what I'm calling my mooring covers (w/ poles):
View attachment 34801

Here is what I'm calling my storage/travel cover:

View attachment 34802

I would agree with your terms. Where i boat with big boats everything is a mooring cover...but your definition is more correct for your discussion here. I'll be towing with my storage/travel cover.

On the flip side I cannot image those other ones wouldn't hold. I have far bigger boats with that setup and have no problem tow! Lawyers at Sea Doo are covering everyones bases!

As a Challenger 180 owner, I will agree that the rear zippered area does allow you to cover the boat while it's still in the water easier. I stand in the open section and get the cover around the back end before hopping out and zipping up the hatch. That being said, I purchased a Poppy cover this winter to replace the stock Seadoo cover and am looking forward to seeing how they compare. My factory cover was sagging due to age (2009) and was pelted by seagulls last season so it was time for a fresh new cover. The poppy cover comes with 2 poles (bow/rear) and was about $350 for the 180 w/o wake tower.

As a Challenger 180 owner, I will agree that the rear zippered area does allow you to cover the boat while it's still in the water easier. I stand in the open section and get the cover around the back end before hopping out and zipping up the hatch. That being said, I purchased a Poppy cover this winter to replace the stock Seadoo cover and am looking forward to seeing how they compare. My factory cover was sagging due to age (2009) and was pelted by seagulls last season so it was time for a fresh new cover. The poppy cover comes with 2 poles (bow/rear) and was about $350 for the 180 w/o wake tower.

You will be very happy with the Poppy Cover and it's trailer-able. Best cover on the market.

I'm also in need of a new cover for my 180. Been on the fence. I like the OEM cover. Would love to see your comparison.

First of all the Poppy cover is trailer-able. High quality. I don't believe the SeaDoo cover is trailer-able. I have gone 70 mph with the Poppy cover on the interstate. Don't try that with the stock cover.

First of all the Poppy cover is trailer-able. High quality. I don't believe the SeaDoo cover is trailer-able. I have gone 70 mph with the Poppy cover on the interstate. Don't try that with the stock cover.

I can see no reason the OEM wouldn't be trailer able. It's got a ratchet strap around the perimeter, loops to attach bunnies to secure to trailer as a backup and some breather holes that should allow for it to vacuum to the hull.

With that said I bought mine used and it looks good but it's stretched, needs water proofed again and has holes for the same tower which come in handy as I keep my Bimini poles up and I aligned them to fit in the holes.

Plus it matches my Touareg!

But I do wish I would have spent the money on a new aftermarket like the poppy.

I wish I would ha

I believe I have the stock cover, and it is trailerable. Maybe one of you can confirm if this is a stock cover?
110.jpg
111.jpg
112.jpg

I applied waterproofer to it this morning. That is why parts of the cover still look wet.

I believe I have the stock cover, and it is trailerable. Maybe one of you can confirm if this is a stock cover?

I'm not saying yours is not but I would doubt it. Sea Doo/BPR would never pass up the opportunity to put marketing/branding all over a cover they charged twice to three times as much for as aftermarket! I have the OEM for my C180 and although I don't have a photo of the cover on the boat handy I do have the photos from the eBay posting.

s-l1600.jpgs-l1600-1.jpgs-l1600-2.jpg

EDIT: But the dealer easily could have added this in at half the cost of BPR.

Does anyone know if the Poppy and other aftermarket covers have the little zip hatch that goes over the gas cover...so you can fill it w/o having to pull the whole cover?

My cover does. It's made by "industrial sewing". Their site says they make OEM covers, which is why I thought mine might be. But, I don't have any of the badging that Carboncow describes, so maybe it is aftermarket. In any case, it does have a zipper door for the gas cap, and dual ratchet straps to hold it below the belt line of the boat. I have no worries trailering it all the way to the beach (250 miles).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back