12V LOW Flashing?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

peridot0283

I have a 2000 GTX RFI. . . just bought it and have put about 5 hours on it, only has 54 hours. The battery has not held a charge all summer (because I think the battery is shot and I haven't gotten around to replacing it.) I've had to charge it several times (and yes i disconnect the pos cable before doing this). This weekend was no different, and once it was charged enough to start I took it out, ran great, got around the lake and it flashed "12 Volt Low"

Any ideas? Could this be caused by a bad battery meaning I need to stop screwing around and replace it? Or has something more substancial gone wrong? Any help would be great as I'm not mechanically inclined at all beyond charging a battery and flushing the cooling lines :)

:stupid:

Help!

I'm still waiting for answers... i've ordered a rectifier, that's costing me $160somethin... Anyone have ANY idea what could be going on? I asked a local mechanic and he leaned towards the recitifer, not the magneto/altenator... Anyone else had any experience with this? Anyone? Anyone? :)

Speaking from my own experience, I would take the battery to a parts store and have it checked. If suspected battery is bad...replace with a gel/dry cell battery they are great. I have them in all my skis.

a bad battery will do exactly what you describe, the charging system of your seadoo is not like a car, won't charge like an alternator and basically just maintains the battery and won't bring back a bad battery. However, those rfi 800s are notorious for having bad rectifiers so I wouldn't feel bad about buying one.

Bad Battery Idea

I have had the battery tested, they said it was low when I brought it in... (after getting stranded..), but after they charged it it was testing as perfect. So I know the battery is not the issue at this point.

Well before you dropped $160 it would have been a lot easier to test the battery first...(which now has been done),but also it would have even been easy to test and see if the rectifier is working. Turn ski on then put a volt meter on the battery and you should be seeing close to 14 volts. But hopefully its money well spent

I have seen a lot of people replace good battery's because they were two years old and they thought they were bad, but yet it was just the cables that had a film on them. Usually you will not pick this up with your eye untill you take a razor and scrape the leads and terminals.

Update

Just an update,

The rectifier arrived, installed no problem (just two screws and a plug), and so far so good. Ran for 10+ min, no flashing light. Also put in a battery kill switch to maintain the battery better.

Just to let you know you can find the rectifier from a company called Transpo. The part number is 4229-124 ( cost me 59.00). The company sells to the rebuild industry for rebuilding starters and alternators. I went to a local rebuilder in Glendale Az and told them what I needed and he said he did not know but I could look they their catalog. I found it was quite a few others. Also when you need a fuel pump for a GTX-RFI (495.00 from Seedoo) you can used one from a 99 or so Ford Explorer for 25.00 on the internet. The screens on the bottom of the pump are Ford alsdo and avail from AutoZone.

I have a 2005 GTX Limited Supercharged Seadoo. Light flashed for a long time before 12 volt low code came on. checked battery and replaced it. light still flashing no code. Checked all fuses and they are good. Ran about 2 hours checked with meter it reg. 12 volt before starting and 11.8 after starting. Do you suggest replacing rectifier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back