'07 Utopia Intermittent Dash and Nav Lights

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have also posted a question in the Premium Troubleshooting area on this problem:
The red and green bow (running) lights on my '07 Utopia 205 are intermittent. There's a two position switch on the dash, the first position is for the white stern (anchored) light. The second position should light up the dash lights and the bow lights. The first position for the white stern light works properly all the time. When I press the switch to the second position, sometimes the lights come on, sometimes they don't. When they don't come on, I've tried popping the bow light assembly out of the mounting plate and wiggling the wires, I've tried switching the dash switch back and forth tons of times. Neither really seems to be tied to when the lights finally do come on or don't come on. Once they're on, unless I turn them off, they stay on. The dash and bow lights always do exactly the same thing (i.e they come on or don't come on together, never dash lights work but bow lights don't, etc.). All the other switches on the dash work normally all the time. I'll start the "normal" troubleshooting process (ohm out the switch, check connections and grounds, etc.) and post what I find, but I thought someone else may have encountered this situation and could save me some time. Thanks in advance! :cheers:

OK, so I ohmed out the switch and it works like a champ every time. I also got the lights to work intermittently again, and have a good steady 12V at the wire terminals to the nav lights when they work and nothing when they don't (absolutely no help). So, it's an intermittent wiring issue somewhere between the switch and where the harness splits to supply voltage to the dash lights and nav lights. I removed the four screws from the bottom of the black plastic dash piece, but could only move the dash slightly. Anybody have any tips on removing the dash on the '07 Utopia? I noticed there isn't a service manual available in the Manuals forum for my boat or would have consulted that. I also looked at the exploded diagram in the parts illustration for the dash and all it shows are the four screws I already removed and one screw at the front of the dash trim that is not visible on my dash. So, any help in how to remove the dash to give access to the wiring harness and terminal blocks is greatly appreciated!

Try popping the bow seat cushion backing in front. I watch the audio guy pop that off to access the radio on the port side. Imagine it would be the same on the other side. Hope that helps.

Did you check for voltage at the switch when the lights are NOT working, (output and input)?

This will help isolate where you need to head...

I did, Joe, and the problem is in the wiring, not the switch. So, instead of trying to cut conduit and check for a wire with the insulation cut through and shorting intermittently, I just ran new wires between the switch and the bow light. Interesting development, though. Now, when I put the switch in the first position (used to just turn the stern light on), now the stern and bow lights come on. When I go to the second position, the bow light goes out and the dash lights come on! It'll take me a while to get my head around what that means about the way the wiring to the bow light and the wiring to the dash lights affect each other with the short somewhere in the wire run between the switch and the bow light, but at least I'm good for post-sunset running! Thanks for the help, Joe, and thanks for the recommendation on the seat back, Sikiguya, taking off the cushion back was a big help for access.

Mike

I really need a wiring diagram to figure out which wires from which switch posts are supposed to go where. Anybody have a wiring diagram for the '07 Utopia 205? One of the reasons I let my Premium membership lapse was because the shop manual for my boat wasn't available there...

Well, I found a shop manual for the '06 Utopia (and Speedster and Islandia) on seadoosportboats.com but guess what was missing? The WIRING DIAGRAMS. Boo. Anybody know where I can get a wiring diagram for the '06-10 Utopia? Anyone?

Would still really appreciate any help with this issue - a wiring diagram or someone who can tell me which positions on the light switch the wires from the bow light should connect to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back