06' 3D-Di taking on water fast, hyrdolocked engine

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mk1spyder

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So Boats etc. in asheville had my 06' Seadoo 3D-DI for 3 months. I told them to fix anything and everything they see wrong because I don't want any problems. I just bought it and didnt really know the history. Well in that 3 months all they did was change the spark plugs, put a battery in it, and patch some scrapes on the hull. Sure enough the first time I take it out it tanks. I was riding it for maybe 6 minutes and it just started to choke out and smoke. Blueish smoke was coming from the engine bay and it died. Pulled it up on a beach and the hull was packed full of water to the top of the engine, can't believe it didnt sink. Anyways the engine sucked in alot of water. It has the 951 DI engine.

So I got it back on the trailer, drained the water out of the ski and pulled the plugs. Cranked it over until it blew all the water out of the intake and cylinders. Put the plugs back in and fired it up, took awhile to start and doesn't seem to be idling quite right, misses every now and then. I inspected the entire hull for holes and couldn't find any, looks great. The drain plugs were in.

1. How could the hull be getting flooded so badly with no holes?

2. Have I damaged the engine? If so what repairs are most likely needed now? How can I test and see if my engine is running at 100% and producing the power it should be?

This was fresh water.

Check that if someone has removed
The kiddie foot rests in the foot well that they have sealed up the screw holes. Will be one hole each side in the foot well. Have a look and u shoul find them. Only small but amazing how soon it will floo the engine bay. Other than that check no hoses are off in the engine bay.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So Boats etc. in asheville had my 06' Seadoo 3D-DI for 3 months. I told them to fix anything and everything they see wrong because I don't want any problems. I just bought it and didnt really know the history. Well in that 3 months all they did was change the spark plugs, put a battery in it, and patch some scrapes on the hull. Sure enough the first time I take it out it tanks. I was riding it for maybe 6 minutes and it just started to choke out and smoke. Blueish smoke was coming from the engine bay and it died. Pulled it up on a beach and the hull was packed full of water to the top of the engine, can't believe it didnt sink. Anyways the engine sucked in alot of water. It has the 951 DI engine.

So I got it back on the trailer, drained the water out of the ski and pulled the plugs. Cranked it over until it blew all the water out of the intake and cylinders. Put the plugs back in and fired it up, took awhile to start and doesn't seem to be idling quite right, misses every now and then. I inspected the entire hull for holes and couldn't find any, looks great. The drain plugs were in.

1. How could the hull be getting flooded so badly with no holes?

2. Have I damaged the engine? If so what repairs are most likely needed now? How can I test and see if my engine is running at 100% and producing the power it should be?

This was fresh water.

one of the cooling lines to the exhaust may be off its fitting, that would pump water into the hull at a pretty high rate, that would also explain exhaust gasses in the engine bay

you should probably do a compression test on the cylinders to check nothing cracked under pressure

Dont know if you've cured this, but the expansion chamber part of the exhaust on these have casting plugs welded into them. Mines only 4 year old and I found the welded alloy cap on the bottom of the exhaust had rotted through.

Dont know if you've cured this, but the expansion chamber part of the exhaust on these have casting plugs welded into them. Mines only 4 year old and I found the welded alloy cap on the bottom of the exhaust had rotted through.

mine had done this too when i got it, had to get all of the plugs die ground out and re tig welded

one of the cooling lines to the exhaust may be off its fitting, that would pump water into the hull at a pretty high rate, that would also explain exhaust gasses in the engine bay

you should probably do a compression test on the cylinders to check nothing cracked under pressure

Ha this just happen to me today lol O what a feeling !!!!

after a winter long of fixing and testing our 3Ddi I have found more to this problem than I first thought.

Are you getting any water in the bilge? if you have the missfire/rough running/limp home after 10min or more of running and have been diving the nose under that water. please remove the rear battery cover and see how much water is in your bilge!!! tip up on an angle if possible as alot of water is stored in the centre of the hull under the fuel tank, so if the hull is level it does not look like alot of water but when tilted back you see all the water that is in the hull. If you have over 2 " of water when the hull is tipped back please read on as I belive this is the problem causing all the symtops of electrical/injection faults.

I have found that our 3Ddi leaks through many places if the nose is dived through waves or under water in a turn. Once the water is about an inch or more deep it touches the starter positive terminal which in turns makes the HT leads arc to everything but the spark plug. I have spent alot of hours going through and finding where all the leaks are that are letting water in. these are

1/ the rubber boot that is "supposed to " seal the wires and steering cable from the handle bars into the main hull. only a loose cable tie from factory. I have sealed inbetween all the wires/cables and in the boot with silicon. I also pulled the handlebars and sealed where the grommet fits the cut out of the hull as water gets past this as well.
2/Screws that hold the elastic for the child polystyrene foot extenders, also at the top of the foot well there are plastic covers that the top of the foot extenders latch into. under these they have drilled 3 holes but only one is used. silicon the other two as an amazing amount of water gets in here.
3/ front tow attachment, pull off ECU mount and pull right hand polystyrene float out of the way. you can see the two nuts that hold on the front tow attach. remove these and pull off tow attachment. fill whole concave with silicon then replace tow attachment.

after doing all the above I cut down my water ingress to a minimum, however when driven hard in turns and diving the nose through waves I have found (via using a waterproof video cam) that water is getting past the air seperator in the top cover and getting sucked into the hull. after some hose testing I have decided to just seal off the front air intakes in the top cover as I believe water is being forced into the top cover through here and overwhelming the air sep with too much water. I still have to do a final test on this mod but the rear openings look more than enough and are in a lot more sheltered place from forced water.

as I said at the start. after mucking around trying to trace ignition faults and injection faults I found it is actually a earthing fault once too much salt water enters the hull which causes missing low power and cutting out. once the hull is sucked out and hosed with fresh water the ski runs fine again untill the water level in the hull rises again.

hope it helps. and I will follow with pics and a test report on the blocking of the front air intakes.

these 3Ddi's are a fantastic concept and are brilliant when running however the build design leaves alot to be desired and you should not have to do this with new a ski. my dealer just said to me where is the water getting in, I said you tell me you are the one that sold me a new skii that leaks. I have since shown them all the places that water is getting in and of course they say well it is out of warranty now so we cant do anything. Wankers these are poor build problems not owner problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back