04 RXP 215 sluggish off the start.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

petezr

I just bought an 04 RXP 215. Took it out for a test run and it is reall sluggish off the start. Seems to run good otherwise but hit the throttle off the start and it sounds like it is missing and it doesn't even raise the front as it takes off. Any ideas??

Thanks,
Pete

Put new plugs in it, didn't help, whats the wear ring? and I assume the sc is Super Charger? It has 50.4 hours on it. I don't know too much about these things...yet anyway. I do alot of my own mechanic work on snowmobiles, cars etc, so I will learn how to work on this too.

First off..where in NoDak are you?

The wear ring is the delrin/plastic ring surrounding the prop. It could be stainless..unlikely.

Before you start that ski again. with motor off remove the intake hose from the supercharger. With your finger tip...try to turn the blades. If you can...they're gone and maybe swimming through your oiling system. If you can only move the blades maybe a 1/16th of an inch they're prolly fine.

Personally I'd pull it and have it rebuilt. 50hrs or no...it's still 8-9yr old...with suspect use and maintenance.

One thing has occured to me...'04's may have had metal clutch washers...if that's the case with what you're experiencing...they could be slipping...in which case...it'd be a good excuse to have it rebuilt anyway..heh

I'm in NW ND. 70 miles from MT and 35 from Canada. I'll check the blades tomorrow. I have heard about some ceramic washers in the SC that should be replaced with metal washers. I have to do some research on that before I do that.

Check your engine oil level also... the oil level should be right in the middle of the bend on the dip-stick with the watercraft sitting level. If it's near the top of the bend (or above the bend even!) then there's too much oil in the crank you'll need to suck some out with a suction pump. Fun, fun!

Also with the seat off and the engine on a waterhose for exhaust cooling, you can run the engine and reach down and squeeze the SC to carb air hose... as you goose the throttle you will feel the hose expand under your grip as the SC makes boost. If you feel nothing, then the SC isn't making boost something's wrong with it. When connected to a waterhose remember the rule: Engine on THEN water on, water OFF then engine off! No water should be flowing while the engine isn't running. Don't flood your engine with water from a hose by accident (it happens far too often to people)!

You changed the plugs but how old is the gas in the tank? If it wasn't treated with stabalizer last Fall before putting it up for the winter then the gas may be bad. Bad gas can also cause the symptoms you describe. That's all I can think of myself right now.

Regards and good luck!

- Michael

Thanks for the help, I checked the oil and it was over full. I did suck some out. Tried it again and it still did the same thing. Took apart the back to check the wwear ring. The wear ring has a couple of grooves so its gotta be that, I hope. With my limited experience with Jet Skis its hard to imagine that the grooves in the wear ring would make that much difference. I ordered a new wear ring so when i get that I'll put it in and give it another test.

Thanks

Did you check the supercharger to carb hose for air pressure when goosing the throttle?

Grooves in the wear ring shouldn't cause THAT much loss of performance... however, how close were the blades to the wear ring? You shouldn't even be able to slip a piece of paper between the impeller blade and the wear ring the tolerances are supposed to be very very close. Do you know the procedure for changing the wear ring? There's a trick to it involving a freezer....

- Michael

I just had my charger rebuilt cost 602.00
and just bought an S-3 charger,
my old one has 13 hours with the new washers--complete rebuild--
looking to get 400.00 with shipping if your interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back