02 RXDI power cutting out?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Esc1994

so I have a 2002 RXDI. Changed the rectifier when I first got it and it’s ran great since. Cleaned my rave valves the other day, and got a full weekend worth of heavy use no problem. Went to go out Monday and everything seemed fine. Was at around 6700 rpms when the ski literally just shut off. Like dashboard went blank, as if all electrical was killed instantly. It started back up and ran again for a few minutes before it happened again, and now it won’t start. When I go to start it, it sounds like it’s much slower to crank than it used to be. I am NOT throwing any codes however, so I’m at a total loss. Any ideas?

Bump for a response!

After doing some research I believe it is a faulty DESS post and will be ordering a new one. Will I need a new key with that as well?

Update:
Got it to start by taking out the sparks and spraying a little 6-56 wet engine starter and cleaner in there. Fired right up and ran better than ever. Took it out this weekend, and about two hours later the same thing happened. Im at a total loss as what it can be at this point…

Also, you may want to double-check that the battery cables are connected snugly and that there's no corrosion on the terminals. Confirm that the voltage when running is 13.5 or more.

The first time it sat on the trailer for a few days. Figured the cylinders would be dirty cuz the raves when I cleaned them last week were disgusting. Sprayed 6-56 in there, fired it a few times for a few seconds with no plugs in it just to clean cylinders. Put sparks back in and look it started right up. The 6-56 is a water fuel separator as well. White smoke came out the exhaust while it ran so I’m assuming there was a bit of moisture in there. Ran great for two solid hours. Till it just died at full speed again

Did you end up replacing the DESS post? The water-in-fuel issue wouldn't cause it to flat out die while riding. It would start running oddly. The white smoke is the 2-stroke oil burning normally. I'm guessing you have some kind of electrical issue.

No I did not replace the DESS post yet. Could the post really work for two hours then stop though? And work every time I tested it before that? It’s odd to me

I don't know exactly why it would just suddenly stop working. It seems to behave like you have a loose electrical connection. When it suddenly quits, do you just press the start/stop button and it fires right back up and you go on riding?

No, it will crank but not start after that. I still have not gotten it started again after the second time. And I did not touch the battery between the first and second instance

On mine, here's what I hear:
put key on DESS post, fuel pump primes for about 1.5 sec
Press start/stop button. Engine cranks and fires up.
Press start/stop button. Engine stops. I hear 4 clicks coming from what I think is the air compressor. It sounds like it's coming from the back of the engine below the injection rail. Every other click is accompanied by a quick hissing sound.
If I pull the DESS key while the engine is running, the clicks don't occur.

Battery voltage is good.

What is the condition of your spark plugs?

I only recall hearing two clicks when I try to start it and it doesn’t go. I do hear the pump prime, it’s almost like a whizzing noise. Two beeps from the key going on too.

Back cylinder spark plug always looks good, but the front one absolutely fries plugs. Dry and black. I change them frequently because of that. I live in a no wake zone, and these skis don’t like to idle from what I understand. It takes me 10 mins to get out of the zone

Have you checked compression on both cylinders?

BTW, I'm certainly no expert about 2-stroke engines, let alone the complexity of DI. I'm simply going through some of the troubleshooting steps that I have learned by being on this forum.

Fortunately, both of my 02 DI skis are working fantastically. I am able to idle through no-wake zones without any problems. When running at about 1400-2000rpm, I can hear the engine miss from time to time, and I figure it's because it could stand to get the plugs replaced, which I haven't done since the start of the 2021 season, so there's maybe 15-20 hours on the plugs.

I checked compression before the issues happened. I got up to the same speed (57) as always after firing up again so I wouldn’t think compression was compromised but who knows man lol

If you plan to keep the DI ski for a while, you may want to consider investing in CanDooPro. Since I have have 2 DI skis, the $400 cost was divided between both of them. It has been a useful tool in helping narrow down issues, especially when I kept getting the MAINT light and associated long beep, then limp mode.

Mpem could be the problem?,,,and on DI's at idle one of the cylinders does not fire to save gas,,and so the plugs never come out looking normal,,,I chased that for a while once before I found out.,,,There should not be any white smoke coming out of a .DI...normally that means that water is getting into one or bith cylinders...and the DI motors "hate" water,,,they will try to compress it and the result is scored cylinders.

That kinda what I was getting at, I know the white smoke was moisture burning off in the fuel. But it’s just so odd to me that it took more than 2 hours for it to happen again

Single cylinder idle only applies to later year DI's. My 2000 DI idles on both cylinders. I believe the 02 should single cylinder idle. This sound electrical to me. On a normal ski, does pulling the DESS kill the dash like is happening here?

It is definitely electrical. The ski doesn’t bog or lose power when it stalls out. Everything on it just cuts off instantly. All the gauges and everything

I’m having same issue and have had no solution. Fixed vacuum leaks, cleaned valves, good compression and fuel pressure, new regulator, new injectors and fuel rail, NOTHING

Back