02 GTX DI burning too much oil

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JK2805

Hi guys,

I recently bought my 2002 GTX DI 951 and was told it was older by the previous owner, 1996 which I couldn’t believe, so looked into it and found the correct year.

When out on the water I’m maxing out at 40/41 mph. After research I’ve found that others were getting 50-53mph on these skis. I’ve changed the plugs and oil filter to a K&N filter someone recommended on here. I was having an issue with power last week and I was maxing out at 32mph but found that the two clamps for the exhaust were loose, after tightening them I’ve now got the 40/41mph.

When I changed the plugs they were black and I seem to be using a lot more 2 stroke oil than expected, I’m thinking the ratio is off. Does anyone know what the problem could be or what to do to try sort this? I’ve heard of the premix conversions but would like to steer clear of that if possible.

Also, I live in Glasgow, Scotland. Are there any local people here who know of any engineers who work on seadoo, everywhere I’ve called say they won’t work on 2 stroke skis and the closest seadoo dealer is over 200 miles from me.

Hi guys,

I recently bought my 2002 GTX DI 951 and was told it was older by the previous owner, 1996 which I couldn’t believe, so looked into it and found the correct year.

When out on the water I’m maxing out at 40/41 mph. After research I’ve found that others were getting 50-53mph on these skis. I’ve changed the plugs and oil filter to a K&N filter someone recommended on here. I was having an issue with power last week and I was maxing out at 32mph but found that the two clamps for the exhaust were loose, after tightening them I’ve now got the 40/41mph.

When I changed the plugs they were black and I seem to be using a lot more 2 stroke oil than expected, I’m thinking the ratio is off. Does anyone know what the problem could be or what to do to try sort this? I’ve heard of the premix conversions but would like to steer clear of that if possible.

Also, I live in Glasgow, Scotland. Are there any local people here who know of any engineers who work on seadoo, everywhere I’ve called say they won’t work on 2 stroke skis and the closest seadoo dealer is over 200 miles from me.

How did you change the oil filter to a K&N? These don't use a K&N oil filter or any spin on filter.
The last 2 digits of the HIN/VIN is the year.

Are you sure it's a 951 DI ski?

How did you change the oil filter to a K&N? These don't use a K&N oil filter or any spin on filter.
The last 2 digits of the HIN/VIN is the year.

Are you sure it's a 951 DI ski?

If that blue ski in your avatar is yours then it is not a 2001 GTX DI, the blue ski is a 2005 GTX 4-tec 4-stroke ski and is completely different and could use a K&N filter.

Sorry, it’s not an oil filter, it’s the fuel filter for the 2 stroke oil I changed to a K&N filter as opposed to the small white filter already on it. It’s 100% a 2002 DI 951cc, I’ve checked the VIN and can confirm it isn’t a 2005, it’s 2 stroke not 4 stroke.

You need to get rid of that K&N oil filter and go back to the correct white plastic one or you risk starving the engine of oil.

You need to be only using API-TC rated full synthetic oil and you need to make sure your oil pump index marks are aligned correctly.

Can you post a picture of your ski?

I was having this issue before I changed the filter, someone on here recommended the K&N filter as it has all the correct pressure values, however I’ll change it back to the normal one if you advise?

Where will I find the pump index marks as I think this is the problem, I’m using around 1L of 2 stroke to 25L of petrol.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
C1DAC9BF-CBE3-42FC-9003-5ECD819B08D8.jpegC1DAC9BF-CBE3-42FC-9003-5ECD819B08D8.jpeg8C4145BA-681B-454E-BDFD-00EC58C6081D.jpeg

Attachments

• 241559E6-30E1-420E-9E53-D0FDCC707806.jpeg
    241559E6-30E1-420E-9E53-D0FDCC707806.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 15
  • 8F1D9DBE-D46A-48EC-805A-D11450CC3EE3.jpeg
    8F1D9DBE-D46A-48EC-805A-D11450CC3EE3.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 16
Ok, thanks for confirming it's a 2002 951DI.

Yes, you are using too much oil at 1:25.

As far as I have seen there isn't an equivalent K&N filter. Do you have a picture or part number for it?

The oil alignment marks are on the front of the engine on the oil pump.
20191002_102723.jpg

Alignment marks are in green, adjuster is in red.

Also your ski should top out at 50 mph. What is your max rpm at full speed?

And you can not premix a DI ski like yours.

Ok, thanks for confirming it's a 2002 951DI.

Yes, you are using too much oil at 1:25.

As far as I have seen there isn't an equivalent K&N filter. Do you have a picture or part number for it?

The oil alignment marks are on the front of the engine on the oil pump.
View attachment 44725

Alignment marks are in green, adjuster is in red.

Also your ski should top out at 50 mph. What is your max rpm at full speed?

And you can not premix a DI ski like yours.

Thanks for the info!

I can’t seem to see the thing to adjust like in your picture. The pump (or what looks like the pump) is at the back and there is a hose joint from there to the injectors. I’ve added a photo, I’ll try find the filter too but don’t have a picture of that at the moment.

Forgot to add the pictures

Attachments

• B44CFD34-0BF8-42FF-9B1A-4857E02A792D.jpeg
    B44CFD34-0BF8-42FF-9B1A-4857E02A792D.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 42
  • 472527D7-46E5-4FC7-9CEF-41EDC54C5430.jpeg
    472527D7-46E5-4FC7-9CEF-41EDC54C5430.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 40
what you're picturing is the air compressor.
The photo that Miki showed is at the front of the engine

do you have a bunch of oil in the bottom of the hull? or is that water?

what you're picturing is the air compressor.
The photo that Miki showed is at the front of the engine

do you have a bunch of oil in the bottom of the hull? or is that water?

Oops lol I’ll have a look and see if I can find the adjuster again!

That’s water in the hull, not oil thankfully!

You are going to need a mirror to see the oil pump marks on the front of the engine.
To get to the oil pump and filter you will need to remove the glove box and or remove the flame arrestor/air breather.
I personally will remove the tuned pipe simply because I am old and don’t have long arms or patience any more. This way I can easily get to everything.

1570233636729.png

Absolutely wrong! That is a fuel filter and is not mad to filter thicker oil, there is a really good chance it will starve the engine of oil. Go back to the OEM plastic filter that was designed for the application.

I’ll take it off then, thanks for the info! Do you have a link for the correct one?

You are going to need a mirror to see the oil pump marks on the front of the engine.
To get to the oil pump and filter you will need to remove the glove box and or remove the flame arrestor/air breather.
I personally will remove the tuned pipe simply because I am old and don’t have long arms or patience any more. This way I can easily get to everything.

View attachment 44749
I’ll give it a try later and see if I can find it, is it at the front left or right of the engine? The exhaust is in the way which makes it difficult to find!

Okay, from having done it, when I have to on rebuilds, if you can, avoid removing the pipe, to avoid being in seadoo jet ski hell.
Yeah I don’t want to take that off I feel it’ll open a can of worms! I can’t seem to see where the adjuster is, is it on the left or right side at the front? I’ve phot my phone down with the camera and torch on and can’t see anything.

Sitting on the ski it should be on the left side of the front of the engine. A small mechanic’s mirror will be worth its weight in gold, or you can steal your significant other’s compact mirror.

Had a look earlier and can’t seem to see where the adjuster is, any ideas?

Attachments

• BC5CC296-1267-43AA-96A7-0847FADDC23D.jpeg
    BC5CC296-1267-43AA-96A7-0847FADDC23D.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 29
1570920066603.png
right there in the red circle looks to be what you're looking for, only have 720 skis but based off the small oil lines coming out of it and the cable connecting to the pump. If you want to, you could spend a little less than an hour degreasing the engine bay, did that when restoring my hx and was able to find my leaky oil tank and other small issues while I was waiting for parts. There should be indicators from the pump and arm, can see it in the picture if you look close enough.

Here's a little bit better of a photo that might help.

IC5UultLOIqznhc4SQ1PEK5wQy7iNtjGWkuw=w936-h1248-no.jpg

On the DI the adjuster is underneath the throttle body bracket. More info on page ~334 of the shop manual.

I pulled half of the exhaust to change my cracked oil tank and replace the filter and I would not recommend it if there's any way you can get around it. Putting it back and torquing all the bolts per the magical sequence is a pain in the ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back