02 GTX 4-Tec not running at idle throttle

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

tus

Just picked up a 2002 GTX 4-Tec, along with the trailer and lift, from a friend. Had 99 hours on it, and the 100 hour service was just done by the dealer.

Problem I'm having is I have to give it a little throttle to get the thing started, and if I let go of it the thing dies immediately. It will restart instantly, as long as you open the throttle a minuscule amount when cranking.

My first thought was to adjust the throttle cable, but after downloading the service manual and reading it, I realized there are many things about this that I don't know yet, i.e. the air compressor system on this thing, and having wrenched on my old cars and various small motors for the last few decades, I have learned that if you don't know for sure, you should read up more or ask someone, or you might have another expensive lesson in the works.

Anyone have advice on what to check? Are there any flow charts for trouble shooting this like you get in the better factory service manuals?

I know I could just haul the thing back to the dealer, but it's the new toy, I live on a lake so it's there to use, and besides the starting/idling problem, the thing has been great.

idle speed is controlled by the ecu so it's not adjustable. could be idle bypass valve issue, mpem issue, or a couple other more major things like compression or timing.

No air compressor system on 4tecs. Must be looking the DI motor.

Reactions: tus
The more I research this the more inclined I am to just bring the thing in. I have enough things to fix these days and don't need to pickup yet another hobby.

I can picture myself buying the Can-Doo Pro and having my neighbors on the lake constantly bringing their PWC over like the do now with their various vehicles to hook up to the brand specific scan tools I bought over the years :(

BTW, it is a 4-Tec, was jumping around in the documentation I found and was in the wrong section.

The more I research this the more inclined I am to just bring the thing in. I have enough things to fix these days and don't need to pickup yet another hobby.

I can picture myself buying the Can-Doo Pro and having my neighbors on the lake constantly bringing their PWC over like the do now with their various vehicles to hook up to the brand specific scan tools I bought over the years :(

BTW, it is a 4-Tec, was jumping around in the documentation I found and was in the wrong section.

You won't be able to "SHARE" the CanDoo Pro. It needs a license for each individual ski. It comes with 4 but that averages to $100 each. My friend and I bought one together so we each could use a license and had 2 left over for when we buy other ski's.

You won't be able to "SHARE" the CanDoo Pro. It needs a license for each individual ski. It comes with 4 but that averages to $100 each. My friend and I bought one together so we each could use a license and had 2 left over for when we buy other ski's.

Learn something new every day :) Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back