01 Yamaha XLT1200 Waverunner

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigD46

Was running great, stalled out in the water, started back and now only running on 2 cyl!

Brought it back to the shop and it has 0 Compression in the rear cyl!

I took a light and looked into the cyl and the piston looks intact and the walls arent scored up. I have never seen one have 0 compression like this.

any suggestions? Help is greatly appreciated!

I've seen it a bunch of times... especially on a 3 cyl engine.

The PTO cyl gets hot... and they melt down. (literally) I bet when you remove that jug... the piston crown will be melted, and is holding the rings in. After you do a rebuild... open the high needle on that carb an extra 1/4 turn.

You may get lucky, and only need to replace the piston if the skirt didn't shatter.

I've seen it a bunch of times... especially on a 3 cyl engine.

The PTO cyl gets hot... and they melt down. (literally) I bet when you remove that jug... the piston crown will be melted, and is holding the rings in. After you do a rebuild... open the high needle on that carb an extra 1/4 turn.

You may get lucky, and only need to replace the piston if the skirt didn't shatter.

Thanks, I'll check it out and let you know..... Also I have read posts about Wave Eater clips and the Converter stopping up. any thoughts about these things?

I finally got around to pulling it down today... Dr Honda you were right! the piston is melted, but the cyl is still ok. gonna get the parts ordered asap. Thanks for the input

My friend has one of these and we have done extensive research. Those are known for a midrange RPM engine failure. SO before this happened, we pulled the carb rack off, orderd some parts, did some work and his machine is now a monster, plus its safe all the way around the RPM range. If your interested in what we did I can fill you in. Its a bit of a job but, your already into it now anyways..

I am interested in any help I can get!:cheers:

I ordered Carb Rebuild kits, A D-Plate, Temp Senser bypass, And wave Eater clips.
Anything else i need please feel free to tell me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back