'01 Utopia 185 M2 OptiMax 3500 RPm Cutoff

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

zealer

Hi all,

I'm considering purchasing a 2001 Utopia 185 with a M2 OptiMax jetdrive (which I believe is carburated for this year, correct) and I have several questions. The owner has told me that the boat runs out of fuel at and above 3500 RPM (the motor does not die, but stutters, from what I can gather).

Now, I have been doing a lot of reading and have come to understand this can be caused by a lot of things. The current owner thinks its the fuel pump. It could well be, I don't know. It'd be up to me to do the diagnostics if I were to buy it. Anyway, I'm very mechanically inclined, so I am not frightened to do the work myself. If it is indeed the fuel pump, what I can't seem to find, however, is a source for new fuel pumps. My internet readings have told me that there are two pumps, a low pressure lift pump, and a secondary high pressure pump. Other than that, I can't find out anything else about these pumps. Part #'s, specs - nothing to cross-reference them. Can anyone shed some light on this? I'm sure there are many different pumps that can work, but I would need to know pump PSI, flow capacity etc.

I have also read about the infamous guardian system, which could also be an issue, neutral switch, plugs, carb etc. There are lots of potential reasons for said cutoff at 3500 RPM. Anyway, if I do buy the boat, I'm confident enough that I can find the problem, I'm just having a heck of a time finding any part information to at least give me an idea of cost.

I have looked on the Crowley site. I have come up with this number, 15930A27, for a fuel pump assembly. 852521T1 for an electric assembly, which looks like this:
614.jpg

I'd prefer to source the pump locally, and preferably through my employer (a speed shop, get that home town discount!!). I'm not worried about a specific brand, just that it will fit (need info to cross reference).

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's the OptiMax motor it is not carburated...it's direct fuel injection (DFI) and it should be diagnosed before you acquire a pump and hang it on it...like you said it could be a number of things...fuel pump, sensor, etc...

You should get the Mercury Marine service information for the 200HP DFI OptiMax Sportjet...

Here is a fuel pump part number for 200HP DFI OptiMax motors in Serial Number Range OG386496 - OG589999. There are six different Serial Number Ranges for this particular motor...you will need to get the S/N from the motor in order to get an accurate P/N and price.

The following pictures have the fuel pump P/N information and where to get the S/N off of the motor:

Attachments

• 200 DFI Fuel Pump.JPG
    200 DFI Fuel Pump.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 200 DFI Serial Number Location.JPG
    200 DFI Serial Number Location.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 16
Yep... what he said. Besides... the little electric pump you posted I just the lift pump... and it doesn't even run once the engine is started. (probably not the issue)

If it's "Shuddering" at 3500 RPM... I would be more inclined to think that there is an ignition issue.

Thanks for the responses. To clarify, I have zero intention of ordering any parts until I know what the problem is. I'm just trying to 1) find a source for parts and 2) get an approximate cost.

Like I've read in other threads, it's not easy to find parts for these motors! I haven't even seen the boat yet in person, but was trying to do a little homework on what could possibly be involved.
Thanks for the diagrams murph, I will gladly take a look.

Dr. Honda, it could very well be an ignition problem as opposed to fuel. All of this is pure conjecture, hypothesizing, brainstorming, that kind of thing. :)
I have nothing to base this on apart from what the owner has told me. Whether he is right or wrong, that will come to light if I do indeed take the plunge.

Cheers
-z

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back