01 GTX 951 Timing Advance Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domant

Has anyone ever run into issues with their 951 advancing timing? I have a GTX that I’ve checked compression on, replaced fuel lines, rebuilt carbs, replaced wear ring, etc on. I ran through all that stuff. I replaced the throttle cable and TPS sensor thinking it was an issue with that, but after recently putting a new one from SBT in I’m finding that it’s not the case. It definitely felt electric when it happened. The ski would run at 6500ish rpm then suddenly cut down to 4000rpm, not bog. Now it doesn’t even get past 4200. I suspect it’s a timing advancing issue. Does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks

Last edited:
Did you replace the fuel selector and fuel filter assembly, could be sucking air. To test run the reserve line from the tank straight to the carb to bypass the selector and fuel filter

I had a RFI with a bad rev limiter that wouldn't get past 4200 rpm. If I played with the throttle for a few minutes... the ski would hook up and run 6900rpm. As soon as it dropped below 4200 the same thing again. It was obvious though because it was cutting out at 4200 but ran smoothing below that speed. It also ran great above that RPM. LOL Good Luck !

I had a RFI with a bad rev limiter that wouldn't get past 4200 rpm. If I played with the throttle for a few minutes... the ski would hook up and run 6900rpm. As soon as it dropped below 4200 the same thing again. It was obvious though because it was cutting out at 4200 but ran smoothing below that speed. It also ran great above that RPM. LOL Good Luck !
That’s exactly the issue I was having! I thought it was an issue with a dead tps because I could play with it and get it to jump back up to high rpms. Now it won’t go past 4200 at all.

Are you getting a vroom, vroom, vroom, in that range? My engine would rev and drop off, rev drop off just a bit but the RPM would stay at 4130 ish- If I could get it over 4250 the ski would take off. I too replaced the TPS but that didn't work. We always go after than poor TPS. LOL I had a spare computer and when I replaced it the ski was great. If it is your rev limiter it is inside the computer. I've read that people have replaced it. I've dug around those sealed boards previously and have no desire to do that again. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back