01' Challenger 1800 ran fine, then suddenly, no spark.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Palm Bay Chuck

This Saturday I was having fun with the family in my Challenger 1800. We went through several start, run, stop cycles as we explore the river but after our last stop, the engine simply would not start. It did not sound like there was any spark at all. The battery would successfully turn the engine over, but it would never call for hick up or anything. No spark.

Thank the Lord for friendly boaters that got me towed back to the ramp so that I did not have to pay Seatow my child's college tuition. The boat is now in the hands of my mechanic who is jumping right at the stator as being the culprit. He is going to do some investigating work to see if that is in fact the problem but it seems unusual to me that such a solid component could fail so suddenly.

He did confirm that there was no spark at all. He also noticed that my boat, which I purchased used, did not have a lanyard kill switch but instead had a button installed that you can press to kill the engine (I always use the key to turn the engine off). So someone suggested that a little attention should be paid at looking at that switch also as it may be fully engaged now even though I never press it.

Anyway, I know that this is going to be expensive and want to steer the mechanic in the right direction if you think he's jumping the wrong way. He is the only guy in Melbourne Florida and seems to have a pretty solid reputation for Seadoo repairs.

Mine did that a week ago one motor wouldnt turn on but woyld crank the other motor ran fine. Lots of stop and goes all day. The guys on here said it was flooded. Next day it turned right on.

It seems odd to me that someone would install a push to kill switch. The purpose of the lanyard is to kill the motor should the driver get thrown away from the controls.The cap on the end of the lanyard holds the button in. If what you say is correct, your button operates the opposite way. Your button just isn't practical.
So my question is... Are you sure the kill switch was replaced? If the previous owner had lost the lanyard he may have jambed something into the switch to hold it in. Maybe it popped out. Have you ever tried to operate your "kill button"?

Thanks Buckeye. I'm really not sure, and I never use the 'kill button'. To turn off the boat, I just turn off the key.

I'm suspecting wiring also. I just don't see how the Stator, which is a large disc attached to the flywheel, can fail so quickly. I don't think there are any moving parts on the Stator itself, just magnets that turn inside a a fixed set of magnets producing a DC current. We did insert a spark tester to see if there was a spark and there certainly is not.

Thank you for your input. I'm just on a pretty tight budget and I don't want the mechanic to start down expensive and pointless paths! (If I'm on a budget, why in the hell did I buy a boat? :)

Thanks Buckeye. I'm really not sure, and I never use the 'kill button'. To turn off the boat, I just turn off the key.

I'm suspecting wiring also. I just don't see how the Stator, which is a large disc attached to the flywheel, can fail so quickly. I don't think there are any moving parts on the Stator itself, just magnets that turn inside a a fixed set of magnets producing a DC current. We did insert a spark tester to see if there was a spark and there certainly is not.

I shy away from diagnosing electronic issues via the keyboard. However, as to your kill switch, it's most likely for non-stator engines.

Finally got around to changing out the Stator and Trigger Assembly today and the boat started on the first crank! Unfortunately, it was too late to take it out. I'll have to get it out on Sunday or Monday.

I purchased my parts from Boats.net and they seemed very above board. Decent prices and fast deliver. Delivery was free.

Next project - installation of trim tabs.

The same thing happen to my challenger and it was the stator ,burned. But i didnt change the trigger and now i am not getting more than 4500 rpms in the water. I am looking for a good mechanic in this area.

The same thing happen to my challenger and it was the stator ,burned. But i didnt change the trigger and now i am not getting more than 4500 rpms in the water. I am looking for a good mechanic in this area.

I have to say that changing both was SUPER EASY. I was really concerned about taking on the project, but it turned out that the hardest part was removing the flywheel. In fact, I broke mine!

But I do hope you find a good mechanic. I'd rather outsource some of this stuff. We have one guy in my area, but he's crazy as a loon and I'm concerned about giving him my boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back