Yet another MPEM call for help :)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

curtisr

Hi everyone,

Summer's here and although the spirit is willing, perhaps my MPEM is weak??? The engine will run for 2 minutes and then quit. Yup, the plugs are wet. Here's what has been determined so far:
  1. checked spark on left and right motors, okay
  2. compression on both motors -- 150 mag, 150 pto, 150 psi
  3. spark plugs wet
  4. started both engines (garden hose):
    1. passenger side engine was running and then stopped, pulled plugs, unit has no spark
    2. stator reads 0.2 ohms
    3. charge coil reads 56.7 ohms
    4. checked primary ignition coil, okay
    5. checked secondary ignition coil, okay
    6. after testing unit the spark returns
    7. ran motors for about 2 minutes then stopped -- no spark
Consclusion? MPEM has a module that's cuttin gout the spark and shutting the unit down???

Any suggestions as to my next step would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!

Roger C

I know Westside Powersports Seadoo did a lot of work on these and might be able to help if nobody has ideas. I really haven’t done much with the boats.

Hi everyone,

Summer's here and although the spirit is willing, perhaps my MPEM is weak??? The engine will run for 2 minutes and then quit. Yup, the plugs are wet. Here's what has been determined so far:
  1. checked spark on left and right motors, okay
  2. compression on both motors -- 150 mag, 150 pto, 150 psi
  3. spark plugs wet
  4. started both engines (garden hose):
    1. passenger side engine was running and then stopped, pulled plugs, unit has no spark
    2. stator reads 0.2 ohms
    3. charge coil reads 56.7 ohms
    4. checked primary ignition coil, okay
    5. checked secondary ignition coil, okay
    6. after testing unit the spark returns
    7. ran motors for about 2 minutes then stopped -- no spark
Consclusion? MPEM has a module that's cuttin gout the spark and shutting the unit down???

Any suggestions as to my next step would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!

Roger C
i would trim your spark plug wires first.

So you can reboot the system and it will start but only stay running for 2 minutes, then both engines shut off. Then you do the ritual again and get the same results?

Are you getting any beeps?

I think the mpem only shuts the motors off if it thinks the lanyard has been pulled. The DESS circuit needs to stay grounded to indicate the lanyard is attached. Any bad connection will interrupt the ground condition. There are 4 connections between the mpem to the dess and back to the mpem. There's also the actual dess switch and the actual ground wires from the mpem to the battery negative terminal. So that is about 8 places your ground signal can be interrupted to kill your motors in the name of public safety

the video i posted shows a technique to trick the mpem into not seeing a fleeting interrupt event.

So you can reboot the system and it will start but only stay running for 2 minutes, then both engines shut off. Then you do the ritual again and get the same results?

Are you getting any beeps?

I think the mpem only shuts the motors off if it thinks the lanyard has been pulled. The DESS circuit needs to stay grounded to indicate the lanyard is attached. Any bad connection will interrupt the ground condition. There are 4 connections between the mpem to the dess and back to the mpem. There's also the actual dess switch and the actual ground wires from the mpem to the battery negative terminal. So that is about 8 places your ground signal can be interrupted to kill your motors in the name of public safety

the video i posted shows a technique to trick the mpem into not seeing a fleeting interrupt event.
2x2, you'd be right at home in the Porsche World! What's the first recommendation when one posts a new-to-them acquisition? Clean the grounds! Got an electrical gremlin? Clean the grounds!!!

This is exceptionally useful -- as is your video -- thank you. We put the boat away this past weekend and won't have access to it until later July. At that point, I'll report back. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back