Winterizing question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles603

Going to winterize in 2 weeks and I'm wondering if it's ok to winterize a ski like you do a boat. I have a 10 gallon nalgene container that hooks up to a hose so I was planning on putting the anti freeze in that and using it to flush the system like a post ride flush.

Do you guys think that is as safe as actually uncoupling the hose and pouring in the fluid?

I am reading about what others do to winterize and there is a lot of variance in methods. My skis will likely be running through all what many experience as ... "winter". I'm ridin and tunin... :D :D

If the water didn't turn to ice I would be riding year round as well. The leaves are yellow and will be on the ground in a week.

Put fuel stabilizer in the tank and try to run it into the carbs.

Use fogging oil in the motor.

Disconnect the main coolant line coming in from the pump, stick a funnel in it, start your motor and dump a gallon of RV antifreeze in. You never want to flush the cooling system or put anti freeze in without having the motor running. I'm in Alaska so dilluting any pure water in the cooling system with antifreeze is a must, I have seen cylinders, pipes and cans all burst from ice expansion.

Pull the batteries out and keep them inside the house, give them a 2amp 12 hour charge every month over the winter.

And the sun sets on another season.....

Last turn, last ride, last day.

Bring on the snow.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180917-202026_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20180917-202026_Video Player.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 56
I'm right there with ya, great photo, this was my last day this past Sunday
... no selfies haha

Attachments

• 20180916_125240.jpg
    20180916_125240.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 48
  • 20180916_170900.jpg
    20180916_170900.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 52
  • 20180916_174251.jpg
    20180916_174251.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 44
  • 20180916_170812.jpg
    20180916_170812.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 47
  • 20180916_183257.jpg
    20180916_183257.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 50
Beautiful shots. Chicago? Anytime I go near a big city I am amazed at the size of the buildings. I got into New York for one day years ago, amazing but not my kind of territory.

My son and I put one last ride on the Chena. Temps were around 52ish, water was 44ish. I had to help a kayaker that had flipped and was so hypothermic he was sitting under the overhanging trees on the river bank without enough sense to get all the way out of the water. I got soaked helping him get across the river to a house where, luckily, an EMT lived who took care of the guy. We got back to the launch just as the sun was setting. Since I was already soaked I just cut loose like it was 4th of july, loaded up and spent the rest of the night warming up myself.

All four DOOs were winterized and tarped this evening....

Attachments

• 20180920_200041.jpg
    20180920_200041.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Damn the leaves are falling by you already that's crazy! Where are you at?

Yes that is Chicago.

You guys must live in warmer climates which makes me a little jealous but I still have the motorcycle out and tempted at buying a sled this season or more skiing out west.... decisions decisions

Fairbanks Alaska.

Maybe 3 weeks away from snow on the ground. Our "warm" season where you don't mind falling in the water is roughly 8 weeks, really hot days (80) are a handful every summer. Snow usually hits in mid October and stays until mid April. We used to get colder weather, but it's been more mild for the last 15 years. When I was younger the 3 week long cold spells of -40 or colder a couple times a year were normal. The last real cold we had was a week long shot of -45 two years ago.

Someday I am going to one of those places where the ocean is clear with a white sand bottom, palm trees are swaying, the sky is blue and hot.........

Attachments

• Tropical-Paradise-Wallpaper-sunshine-beach-coast-sea-sky-blue-emerald-ocean-palm.jpg
    Tropical-Paradise-Wallpaper-sunshine-beach-coast-sea-sky-blue-emerald-ocean-palm.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 32
Just winterized my 2 GTI RFI’s
I bought a couple of condiment bottles, 10oz, works great for putting antifreeze into the inlet. Works better by disconnecting the hose back by the “T”
I live at 9,000 ft in Colorado so I want to be sure to put in pure antifreeze.

I see so many YouTube videos where they use RV 50/50 crap.

Doug

Going to winterize in 2 weeks and I'm wondering if it's ok to winterize a ski like you do a boat. I have a 10 gallon nalgene container that hooks up to a hose so I was planning on putting the anti freeze in that and using it to flush the system like a post ride flush.

Do you guys think that is as safe as actually uncoupling the hose and pouring in the fluid?

Most of the newer skis have the inlet port on the transom to hook up a hose to... the older ones have to be done inside. I use a washing machine hose (double female) CORRECTED... a simple ordinary short hose (M/F). connect one end to the transom fitting... the other end to a simple drill pump (the ski doesn't pump the fluid by itself... it needs a bit of help)... the drill pump comes with an inlet tube that I drop into a gallon of Pink (RV) ... start the engine... get fogger ready then turn on drill pump... wait for it to come out the exhaust... spray fogger into air filter... engine stalls... Wolla... Done!!!
ps...Running the engine for about 10-15 seconds before all this ensures that most of the water is out so just pure anti-freeze is in the engine and manifold areas. I use pink/RV af because it's more environmentally friendly plus I have a dog. 10 years of doing this method in sub (-25F) winters with no issues. So you are on the right track... cheers!!!

Last edited:
the other end to a simple drill pump (the ski doesn't pump the fluid by itself... it needs a bit of help)... the drill pump comes with an inlet tube that I drop into a gallon of Pink (RV) ... start the engine... get fogger ready then turn on drill pump...

Is there some mystery trick to getting the pump going? I tried two different drill pumps and couldn't get either of them to even start pumping. I had about a 2' section of garden hose connected to the inlet and stuck it in the gallon jug and it would just spin and spin. I tried it in the kitchen sink and got it to pump but only if the whole thing was submerged - maybe an air leak somewhere? Exchange it?

Winterizing 2 RX DIs and the manual instructions with pinching the hoses and all don't really work so I'm trying this method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back