winterizing exhaust system for speedster 150

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordo

I am preparing to winterize my 2010 speedster 150 with the non SC , a 155 4 tec . I see in the manual that they suggest using shop air to get the water out of the exhaust system. I wonder how is it that when flushing the exhaust with a hose and water the engine needs to be running but when doing the shop air procedure the engine is not running. How is it that water is not a concern going into the cylinders with this shop air method. Am I getting something mixed up here ?

flushing.JPG

I am preparing to winterize my 2010 speedster 150 with the non SC , a 155 4 tec . I see in the manual that they suggest using shop air to get the water out of the exhaust system. I wonder how is it that when flushing the exhaust with a hose and water the engine needs to be running but when doing the shop air procedure the engine is not running. How is it that water is not a concern going into the cylinders with this shop air method. Am I getting something mixed up here ?

View attachment 41519

Good question, I can't answer that but I can say I have winterized my many Sea Doo engines over the years using this process with no problems what so ever... My guess is that it has something to bo with the volume of water left in the system, once the exhaust has drained on its own there is a just little water left and then pushed out with air pressure.

Isn't that step only required for the supercharged engine? I've never done that on my 2006 (same engine).

GB387, thanks, makes sense what you write, good to know you follow the same procedure with no problems.

Jeffrt, thanks, I think BRP meant that all engines need the flush. here is the excerpt from the manual. Maybe it is overkill as a bit of freezing water can only cause damage if it has no place to go (expansion). I would not expect any passages to be filled with water. Just to be safe I will use shop air.

flushing1.JPG

My understanding is that the non-supercharged engines are "supposed" to be self draining, meaning that you do not need to blow out the exhaust cooling system. I, as may other seadoo owners, error on the side of caution and pump RV anti-freeze through the system (or air) to ensure no problems in the freezing months. This is obviously necessary with the supercharged boats and inter-coolers.

Here is an older post with some good info...https://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?54401-Pumping-antifreeze-speedster-winterization&highlight=winterization

Thanks devonte007, I read through the older post. I have decided for my non SC engine to just run the pressurized air through the exhaust system but will have the engine running during the process. The shop manual is not really clear if the engine should be running or not. Some of us want to take care of our engines and boats , I am sure there are many boats out there where the owners do very little maintenance. The shop manual certainly could have been written in a clearer manner.

Just a side note, I did winterize the boat a few weeks ago and even though the exhaust system might have self drained a bit as the boat had not run for several weeks, when I ran the engine and blew air through the exhaust I got about 16 oz of water dump out onto my garage floor, so there was still residual water in the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back