White Smoke when starting up

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lars Gustafson

I have a 2001 Islandia 240 Merc EFI. I bought the boat used last October and now starting to run it more often. I had the yard that I am keeping it at winterize the boat. When I start the engine, white smoke emits from exhast....not overwhelming, but nevertheless - noticable. The smoke only appears when maneuvering and not while the boat is underway. Could this be a result of the winterization stuff that was run through the engine? Does the engine need a tune up?

I've notcied the same thing when starting up my 03 Sportster. I get a decent amount of white smoke when first starting up after launching, lasts for a little while during the first run and usually subsides after WOT for a few minutes. After starting up again while being out on the H2O, I don't get any.

Anyone know what causes that that... to rich a mix, too lean a mix, bad fuel, bad oil???

Lars, the smoke could be due to the winterizing. It kind of depends on what they did,and how long it has been smoking. Some dealers will add a liter or so of oil the fuel tank as well as fog the engine. In this case you will have to burn off at least a full tank of fuel before the smoke clears up. At that timereplace the spark plugs.

Cnpalmer, I believe you are running the rotax in your Sportster, so I cant help with that one.

Aaron:cheers:

Thanks. What would you recommend that I do in the fall when storing the boat....full tank of gas or run it down to empty? Could the white smoke at start up be anything else? What would a standard tune-up accomplish? Appreciate your feedback. Maybe I will be in a position next year to give advice as well! Family is having fun with the Islandia, so want to make sure boat is in good working order throughout the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back