White "deposits"...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

seadoosnipe

Premium Member
Premium Member
Well, I was winding down to the end of the winter maintenance and repair work, putting on my last (mag) carb. As I tightened it down, I felt the threads give way. I couldn't believe what just happened. I can't print in this forum, the words that were going through my head!
From the very beginning, when taking parts off my 1997 Challenger (787cc), I was running into, what seemed like, all the bolts covered with a white, hard substance. Like calcium deposits....
When I pulled the head cover to replace the gaskets and inspect the pistons, I ran across it. I used my tap and die set to run all the threads out clean and used anti-seize. So this time, I'm hoping they won't be so bad to take out. When working on these Rotax engines, we are suppose to use Loctite, not anti-seize. I recommend everyone follow those procedures because the vibrations can cause your parts to loosen up. I don't use it because I tinker with it so much that if a bolt came loose, I'd see it.
Anyway, with the bolt reamed off, I started removing the rotary cover, thankfully, I have a spare. Then, I broke a bolt off the rotary plate. So now, I have to drill a hole and use an easy out. Well, because it was one of the upper bolts, I have to remove the exhaust manifold. Thankfully, I have a gasket kit in the shop, that I ordered and never used all the gaskets. So now, I'll get the chance to replace them....not that I wanted to.
I was down to the last bolt on the exhaust manifold and I stripped the allen head bolt out on it. I ended up cutting it with my dremil tool.
So now, I'm at a stand still. I got two bolts that will have to be drilled an use my easy outs to get them out.
Purpose of writing this...........for those that have these older model skis...be careful when you go to pull any parts off them. With time, the electrolysis that takes place seizes almost every nut and bolt on these things jSo be very careful taking parts off.......and use PB blaster!....
I finally found some that KustomKarl had recommended. And like my Marvel Mystery oil that I swear by for un-sticking valves and rings, this stuff seems like it eats the gook out of the threads........:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back