Whining noise - 2005 GTX 4-tec non-super charged

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

boatrboy

I just started hearing a whining noise which seams to be coming from the engine side when I removed the seat to listen. The ski has about 230 hours on it and prior owners used the dealer to to maintain it for what that is worth.
When I bought this ski I replaced the bearing assembly for the drive shaft to fix a small oil leak and have used the ski for about ten hours so far this season. I am just a cruiser so I run at about 35-40 mph most of the time without beating it. It has run great but the last two rides I started hearing the noise.
I will admit I did not change the grease in the jet while I had it apart (which now I regret) but the previous owner said it was rebuilt a year before I purchased it.

On the trailer it doesn't sound like it's back where the pump is but rather rear of the engine starboard side where the water lines are.

Does the jet pump noise travel and seem like engine noise? Or is there something common on the engine that could cause this whine?

Any thoughts?

Nine times out of ten when I fix something or do preventative maintenance on one of my toys and it doesn’t work right after or soon after it usually ends up being what I had tried to fix in the first place. I think this is especially true for us novice mechanics that usually only get to fix something maybe one or two times. So if it was me I would double check my installation of the drive shaft bearing.

Last edited:
Nine times out of ten when I fix something or do preventative maintenance on one of my toys and it doesn’t work right after or soon after it usually ends up being what I had tried to fix in the first place. I think this is especially true for us novice mechanics that usually only get to fix something maybe one or two times. So if it was me I would double check my installation of the drive shaft bearing.
I thought the same thing but it appears to be higher - away from the shaft which is why I discounted the jet pump bearings so far as well. (BTW - I did buy the bearing assembly from the dealer not a knock-off)

If you can’t find a easy fix and then want to isolate the noise from either being the drive train or motor you could disconnect the drive shaft at the PTO and run the motor on a hose.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back