Where to buy new rectifier

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

trevorc5505

Hi everyone I believe I need a new rectifier. Looks like it is going to cost me 209 for a new one from OEM. Is this something that I can get aftermarket or a part that I should really just pay full price OEM?

Hi everyone I believe I need a new rectifier. Looks like it is going to cost me 209 for a new one from OEM. Is this something that I can get aftermarket or a part that I should really just pay full price OEM?
What symptoms did you have that lead to you needing to change it?

I bought the CompuFire (model 55120) 3-phase rectifier and got it on ebay. You can also get them from the compufire website, but I got mine for only $70. I had to crimp new seadoo connectors to it, but I got a much better rectifier that can handle more power than the seadoo stator can put out. DO NOT get a cheap Chinese one. I had one literally catch fire, hence the upgrade. The OEM ones are good, but on my custom application, I sometimes put a big demand on this part and wanted something better. I'm not sure you can mount it in the original location though.

When I bought my Speedster, the previous owner told me he had replaced the starboard rectifier/regulator since it didn't seem to be charging the battery. He gave me a brand new one for the port side as well. We had taken the boat out with him for a test ride, and all was good. Checked it out thoroughly and all was good. Got it on the water the first time after buying it, and all was good. Second time all was good leaving the boat ramp....went over to a small island in the lake where everyone hangs out.....stayed there for a few hours and went to head back to the ramp.....starboard engine wouldn't crank. Port cranked, but very sluggishly. Ended up getting towed back to the ramp. Got back home, did some research and found out that there is a 30amp fuse in the charging circuit that is known to blow. Checked mine and low and behold....it was not only blown but just about melted completely. I replaced the fuse and the fuse holder, as well as put in a new battery. Fires right up with no problems......in the driveway. Weather turned bad at the end of last season and really haven't had a chance to get it back in the water since to test everything out.

All that to say, after doing some reading on the subject about other Speedsters, I am convinced that the original rectifier/regulator had failed, allowing too much current to go through the fuse, blowing/melting it and not letting the new rectifier the previous owner had installed charge the battery, and hence leaving me stranded in the water. I'm adding a voltage gauge before heading out this season too. The idiot lights will come on about 30 seconds before the engine fails.

If too much current had flowed, it likely would have blown the fuse. The actual fuse holders are known to go bad and make a poor connection. This forces the regular amount of current to go through a damaged connection, causing excess heat. This heat causes the fuse and fuse holder to melt. I was melting fuses one per trip. They wouldn't blow, but all the plastic would be completely deformed. This was on a 2004 GTX SC

@10forty2 I would make sure the replace rectifier was OEM or a reputable brand unit. I would definitely not run a cheap knock-off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back