Where to Begin (1997 Speedster)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slugworth83

As a little background, I know nothing about boats and have almost zero mechanical skills. I bought a 1997 Speedster from a guy in my neighborhood last week. He said it ran well last time he used it, but that was about 3 years ago and that he hadn't used it regularly for 7 or 8 years. He gave me a good price knowing that I might need to put some money into it to get it running at optimal performance.

We took it out on the lake yesterday. Engines started up well, but I couldn't get it going over 10 to 15 MPH! One of the engines should shut off occasionally. I could get the RPMs going, but it just wouldn't accelerate. I've spent a few hours reading through these forums and it sounds like a cavitation issue. I've called at least 15 boat repair shops in the area (I live in Houston) and not a single one will work on it. They're either not certified or it's too old and they won't even look at it. I have a mobile mechanic that is pretty good at this sort of stuff and he's willing to help me out with the install, but I'm going to need to get all the parts for him and probably send him a few Youtube videos to look at.

I guess what I'm asking is what should I buy (and where do you buy them) so that me and him can give this thing a tune-up and get it back on the water. Sounds like I probably need to get new impeller rings. Should I go ahead and assume the impeller blades need changing too, or is that unlikely? What about filters or seals that I should just go ahead and replace now? Do I need to siphon out the oil and have that replaced? Similarly, there was a few gallons of gas in the tank and I just filled the whole thing up before taking it out. Should I siphon that out at this point as well? Some of the shops said they need special tools to take the Speedster apart and only the dealers have them. Is that true -- surely I can buy those tools somwhere?

My neighbor is willing to give me a refund, but I really want to make this work -- it's perfect for my family and fits in the garage! I'd love to take it to a shop but I can't find one that will take it -- does anyone else have this problem?

Carbs and fuel system. Rebuild the carbs using only genuine Mikuni parts. Will be about $300 to do both engines.

Carbs and fuel system. Rebuild the carbs using only genuine Mikuni parts. Will be about $300 to do both engines.

I read through your Carb re-build thread (very well done). Are these the kits you're recommending (On Amazon for $58 each: Mikuni Super BN Rebuild Kit MK-BN38/44 SPR --- I can't post a link since I'm new here)?
If it helps, this is the model we have. What about the fuel system -- where would I find those parts? (I apologize again, this is a whole new world for me. I'm the kind of guy that should be taking this to a shop, but I can't find one that will work on it!)

SeaDoo Model.JPG

Sorry to say this but with very limited mechanical skill I would take that refund. I would never buy a almost 25y old jetboat if I couldn't work on it myself or know someone who have good knowlage and/or are willing to work on it.
For example a outboard from 1997 is a hole different story
Probably not what you wanted to hear. [emoji19]
That said - If you are eager to learn this forum is awesome,don't think there's a problem that hasn't been discussed here [emoji106][emoji41]

No, I don’t believe that’s the correct carb kit. At that price, it’s aftermarket and you don’t want it. In your situation, I would just use the “Back to OEM” kits from OSD parts. He will also have the fuel selectors that you need to replace, and the o-rings for the filters that need replaced as well.

Sorry to say this but with very limited mechanical skill I would take that refund. I would never buy a almost 25y old jetboat if I couldn't work on it myself or know someone who have good knowlage and/or are willing to work on it.
For example a outboard from 1997 is a hole different story
Probably not what you wanted to hear. [emoji19]
That said - If you are eager to learn this forum is awesome,don't think there's a problem that hasn't been discussed here [emoji106][emoji41]
Good advice, says the guy who bought a 1997 twin-engine Speedster last year. LOL.

BTW the wife and I were boating around the Hvaler last year, out of Skjærhalden. Wow, what an awesome boating area that is! Stayed for several days on Nordre Sandøy. Pure bliss.

If your RPMs are able to go up and no real movement your are correct that it is probably a cavitation issue and there are many forums describing how to repair the wear ring, check impeller, splines in driveshaft, seal at the carbon ring or greased bearing. And while you take all this apart there are other maintenance items in the pump that should be addressed.

Since the engine/engine stall out every once and a while, that is a whole separate issue. If the previous owner neglected the whole fuel system, you must get this cleaned up. clean fuel, fuel filters, new fuel lines, fuel selectors, and most important clean carbs with the proper mikuni kits to do the work. Many shops have a ultrasonic cleaner to do a thorough job of cleaning the carb at a reasonable price. An improper functioning fuel system will not only run improperly, but can eventually damage the engine if it is running lean.

do not forget about the oiling system

If you are interested in learning a new trade, this forum will help you limp along, but if you are looking for advice to have someone else to do the work, this boat will get expensive quickly for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back