When going fast the boat gets jumping in the front....

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

factory81

On relatively calm waters my boat will start....how should I say....

Bouncing up and down in the front?

Basically everyone inside starts to get scared sh**less and the scariest part is that we are on calm water.

Now if we are on river water....water that is like a mirror with absolutely no chop (is that what its called?)...with 2 people in the boat it handles fine and does not get unsafe at all....no matter where the trim is.

Now with 4 people on the boat and in calm but a lil choppy waters, my boat will start just bouncing up and down in the front. If someone is sitting up front ( I know bad idea), they have to hold themselves down so they do not get ejected from the boat.

But the trim seems to do relatively little...the water is as calm as you see in the video and the boat can get slapping against the water in the front pretty hard. It scares my passengers, and it's like we are trying to jump the waves, and than like I said even the small amount of chop on the water will mess with the boat and make us start bouncing up and down in the front.

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/kicker15L7/?action=view&current=MOV03809.flv

I have to frequently slow down once things get too rough and or I see a wave for instance put out by another boat (in which case It feels like I have literally been 100% airborne a few time from going fast over waves).

Any idea on controlling this? Does this indicate other kinds of problems?

Last edited by a moderator:
My challenger is the same. Its like riding a horse. There was another thread about this and the thread starter got his problem solved by installing trim tabs. He never posted a pic or the brand of the tabs.

is that video of it bouncing????? your water bottle isnt even moving around, also sound like your giving it alot of gas but not moving very fast. have you check your wear ring?

Sportsjoel, check towards the end of the video....you can actually hear my girlfriend scream because we are bouncing out of the water so much.

I would bring the camera out while we are banging against the water hard, but its just that. It is so rough you could lose a camera easily.

In the beginning we are not going anywhere...1 minute in to the 3 minute video the engine drops to 6k rpm and we take off and start hauling a**.

And is the trim working....it seems to....for instance the boat goes slower as the trim is up higher. Also when the boat is out of the water and we put it in forward and move the trim...we see the angle of the... jet? or is it venturi...change

I guess I will look for a video of us having difficulties with this more.

I need to travel with 4 people in water as calm as glass and see if the boat has this problem (although with 2 people in the glass calm water it doesn't). Then in water that has some chop...I know 2 people in it the boat will get bouncing around.

The worst thing is when you are going fast and you hit a wave and you feel like your flying and than you land and you hear the boat just smack against the water.....

10 seconds before the video ends though you can totally tell it got rough (over what...nothing?)

i think this is normal thing.. specially with waves , never sit in front.. thats why they removed the front seat in the new models.. take a look at this new seadoo:

209251111.jpg

147.jpg

I owned a 1997 Challenger with a single 110 engine... If it starts to bounce too much...slow down. Mine did like 50+. With 3 people it was still 45+ the boat is just a small boat not made to do anything different then what it is doing. I sold mine and bought a 2008 200 speedster w/ 310 Hp. so I can cruise with 6 people at 50+ and I still can get 6' off of waves when I want. I didn't buy a "Jet Boat" to go trolling or fishing. At 25mph your seadoo should be stable for anyones tastes. Want more stability at speed....do what I did...spend $30,000 for a bigger Jet Boat. I also own a Dodge Charger with a HEMI, cause I like to go fast. If I get concerned about gas prices or need to commute to work, I drive my Pick up truck.

Karl

Looked like a normal ride in a small seadoo jet boat to me. If that made your GF scream, don't let her in the boat with me- that wouldn't even be the warm up yet! Looks like it is just riding the waves and you hit a wake or something- the boat does not ride smooth like a car if that's what you are expecting. Good luck.
Joe

Dirt Bike vs. Gold Wing

Sea-Doos are dirt bikes.

Bayliners are Gold Wings.

It's called 'porpoising' and is a function of hull length, depth of the v-hull, and trim. A 14 foot boat hitting a 14 foot long wave trough will take a 14 foot jump.

Easiest way to avoid it is, move parallel to the waves, climb them and go around them.

Porpoising is right... :agree: but that's the fun of a jet boat... you should check out some of the jet boat vids on U-Tube and see what those guys are doing with their boats!! Its insane!! I don't even have the balls to try that stuff!! Also, when I've got passengers, I rarely take the boat over 30-35 mph... safety first bud, always! When I'm by myself however, I ramp that sucker up as fast as it will go and look for the biggest wakes!! Then I'm wearing my lifejacket with the safety lanyard attached to it... there's no fun in watching your boat drive off without you after it throws you off!! You'll need a much heavier boat to do those kind of speeds without it bouncing!! Anyway... the boat is what it is... good fun for the money!

That's mild, compared to the 6-8' I get from my 200speedster at 50mph off of wakes... I used to race competition on Kawasaki's Jetski stand ups for 10 years on the pro circuit.

I be a water nut, my close friends call me "Fish"

Karl

Is that really bad for the hull, does it cause cracks? I get about 2 feet at the most and feel like I am really punishing the boat.

That's mild, compared to the 6-8' I get from my 200speedster at 50mph off of wakes... I used to race competition on Kawasaki's Jetski stand ups for 10 years on the pro circuit.

I be a water nut, my close friends call me "Fish"

Karl

you have any pics :cheers:

SICK JUMP!!
He only has 2 feet of air awesome they got a pick of the jump though, I with karl I alway get BIG air, I always jump the wake off my friends 31ft Doral full speed 50mph everyone loves it except the poor sap that get the suicide seat ahahahah:cheers:

Jumping waves is just a normal everyday occurrence for me...camera...I don't normally try to pose for the camera unless it just happens.

Karl

His boat still seemed to plane out way to slow it dont take 2 min to plane out with 2 peeps on it. either waer ring or your trim set wrong. And yes the bouncing is normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back