What's Up with all the Spam?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkbob

Just wondering... what's up with all the Chinese spam in this forum. It started with a couple weird posts and today it's pages of Chinese characters and unreadable spam. Why? We can't read it and it's not like people from China are reading it... I don't get it. Are they posting secret messages for some Hong Kong resistance group or something?

And as for how to get rid of it... l can't recall for sure but didn't this forum do a confirmation email you had to click on in order to join? If not that would be a good first step. I just click on the poster's name then click "Ingnore". But it's getting worse. Now you have to ignore several new "people" every day. Wonder what's up?

I think it's been going on for a few months now. The spammer makes new accounts every day. I'm not sure how the moderators can prevent it from happening.

IDK, but my whole feed is nothing but this chinese garbage. Hackers, spammers, and telemarketers have a special place in hell.

For some reason they are getting through without verification by the moderators and I can't figure out why.

So I have to manually delete and block them but that function isn't available on TapaTalk so I have to wait until I am on the PC.

It really is a PITA.
@hfgreg

If you click on their names you will get a popup where you can pick ignore, then you can refresh and those posts will disappear. Helpful when they have several. Moderators need to prevent new users from posting for a month or have a better vetting process. Too easy to create new email addresses or spoof fake phone numbers for verification purposes.

Preventing new users from posting for a month would do more harm than good. The current vetting process should work, but for some reason it isn't working correctly.

Plenty of sites that make you wait some period of time. Never killed me to have to wait. Annoying but not as much as the amount of spam this site gets.

If I had an issue with my ski/boat midsummer and had to wait a month before I could ask about it. I would be more annoyed than if I had to sort through some spam.

If I had an issue with my ski/boat midsummer and had to wait a month before I could ask about it. I would be more annoyed than if I had to sort through some spam.
Sign up for forum sites prior to waiting till you have a problem. I sign up for forum sites for any vehicle I've had for research on what I plan on buying, issues with it and then general knowledge of reading what I can expect to run in to problems with. If I snooze, then I only have to blame myself.

Another thought (maybe better) would be to have moderators or tenor'd member's approve posts from new members. This spam issue has been going on for a year now I believe.

Just wondering... what's up with all the Chinese spam in this forum. It started with a couple weird posts and today it's pages of Chinese characters and unreadable spam. Why? We can't read it and it's not like people from China are reading it... I don't get it. Are they posting secret messages for some Hong Kong resistance group or something?

And as for how to get rid of it... l can't recall for sure but didn't this forum do a confirmation email you had to click on in order to join? If not that would be a good first step. I just click on the poster's name then click "Ingnore". But it's getting worse. Now you have to ignore several new "people" every day. Wonder what's up?
We are looking for ways to get rid of it. Unfortauntely everytime we implement something they find a work around. Sorry guys.

I turned on manual account approval for now becasue the spam has gotten out of control. This really sucks for our new users so hopefully its short lived while we can get a better system in place.

This is ridiculous, why do they keep harassing our site? Is it some sort of secret communication for N. Korean spies?

This is ridiculous, why do they keep harassing our site? Is it some sort of secret communication for N. Korean spies?
Lol.. the end goal is backlinks I think.. google doesnt care about trash back links anymore.

What are backlinks?
I think he means they are linking to posts or products or just mentioning products. Google scans the forum and finds a lot of posts and links to something so that thing must be important and it moves up the listings. Being on Page 1 on a Google search can be worth a lot of $$$. Has anybody translated the posts to see what they are talking about?

My money is on the North Korean spy theory. :)

Thanks to the mods and admins for doing your best on this issue. Much appreciated.

yeah... it was supposed to be "Sea You Later".... Guess I need to spend some more time at one of those Universities included in the spam messages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back