What to do before and after a ride

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ric SA

Hi all,

I am hopefully getting my jet skis this week to take out the weekend, and seeing that I am new to the sport, i have a few questions,

1. What do i need to check prior to hitting the water to ensure nothing goes wrong with the jet ski and motor?
2. What do I need to check and do after done riding to ensure nothing goes wrong with the jet ski and motor?
3. What do you do when you roll the skis? Dont start it, take it to a dealer?

Any other info that would help me prolong the life and workings of the jet skis would be appreciated.

Maintenance...?

Hi all,

I am hopefully getting my jet skis this week to take out the weekend, and seeing that I am new to the sport, i have a few questions,

1. What do i need to check prior to hitting the water to ensure nothing goes wrong with the jet ski and motor?
2. What do I need to check and do after done riding to ensure nothing goes wrong with the jet ski and motor?
3. What do you do when you roll the skis? Dont start it, take it to a dealer?

Any other info that would help me prolong the life and workings of the jet skis would be appreciated.

First off, ..... don't ROLL!!!!! You can really beat the daylights out of these things and not roll them. I would do anything I could to keep from rolling. I took a bad wave last year and got thrown. If I had tried to stay on it, I'd have rolled it. Whenever it's possible, dump the ski instead of rolling it.

You'll want to flush everytime you ride. After hooking the hose up, start the motor. Then, after your running, turn on the water. It doesn't have to be on full blast, just enough to see water come from the tell tale hole. When you finish your flush, turn off the water first, then the motor.

You'll need to grease the PTO hub at least once a year. Don't put much more than a couple pumps in it from the grease gun. You should take most of the connections you can find in the engine compartment and seperate them, give a dab of die electric grease into the connector and put it back together. Make sure you lubricate all your linkages and if your riding near salt water, spray the entire engine down with WD-40 every month or so. You'll need to check your pump oil before you even take them out for a ride. All you do here is remove all the rear linkages, lay them aside, then pop off the 4 fasteners that hold on the nozzle. Then, once removed, you'll see the nose cone. Remove this cone and drain the oil, looking for a yellowish color (signs of water intrusion) and water. Replace with a synthetic GL-5 Synthetic 75w-90 gear oil. It'll hold about 3 ozs.

That oughta get ya started. But, like I said in the other post, you really need a manual for the DI motor. THen, you'll need to read all about this DI system so you can get the idea of what it is your getting....:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back