what the heck is up with these seats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

68ragtop

So, while the seats in my 99 Challenger are not perfect, they are in pretty decent shape. The bottoms of the fronts sets had some discoloration, but not cracked. Also a little on the top of the backrests. I have been keeping the boat inside & covered for the most part.

So I left it out in the driveway for this week uncovered. a bit of sun, a bit of rain. This morning I was shocked to see how dark the seat bottoms got & the tops of the backrests. The moisture must be playing a part of it I am guessing. The tops looked tolerable a week ago. But wow, did it get dark now. Just got home from work & its dry now, but still really dark. Notice where the bird poop spot is? it made it very dark right there. I will probably try using some SEM vinyl dye if I can find a match, not sure yet.

Anybody else have this happen? Just curious, Pretty crazy looking. :p

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4578.JPG
    IMG_4578.JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 91
Last edited by a moderator:
This picture is of my daughter driving, taken just three weeks ago.
Seat backs looked just fine.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4599.jpg
    IMG_4599.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 91
Hey ragtop,
Just sold my 99 challenger a few weeks ago, but during the 4 years I owned it, I had that happen to my captains chairs but not to that extent. I used some mildew remover I got from Home Depot in a green spray bottle. After that I scrubbed them with spray nine marine cleaner followed by babes seat soap. They weren't perfect but much better than they were. Lastly I used 303 aerospace vinyl protectant every 3rd week and never had anymore problems. The seat soap really softened the vinyl up nice.

Oh yeah; Goof Off spray works great too. Home Depot in the yellow spray bottle.

Hope this helps.

Probably mildew living in the vinyl, moisture will tend to cause a color shift and probably you'll always notice it to some extent. I like the 303 areospace idea, Atwood mildew remover for vinyl has helped greatly to clean mildew from my vinyl but different products seems to work differently on certain types of vinyl so the Atwood stuff might not help in your case.

Spray-nine is the choice of our marina detailer last I checked, the stuff did nothing for my mildew and smells just like 409 spray cleaner to me, perhaps the stuff I bought is counterfeit?

I have bought vinyl rattle can paint for my seatcovers and plan to give them a spray this year b/c the thin vinyl layer seems to be "cracking". I've used vinyl paint before, last time to paint brown seats blue ans after several years service still couldn't tell they'd been painted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back