What ski do you recommend buying. I have a 96 gtx and want to upgrade.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjc702

The problem is that the 96 gtx is a fun ski to ride. It spins out and very nimble. Is there a 4 tech that has that same fun factor?

The only small 4-tec that you can throw around is the Spark. The spark is the modern equivalent to the old XPs for example.

The 4-tec GTX is HUGE by comparison. Rides like a Caddy, but you can't "throw" it around.

If you get an RXT-X or RXP, they are so strong you can use the jet to "throw" it around.

Wish those latter two would weigh less... I've always wanted to stuff a 255 4tec into an xpl...

Here is the ideal low maintenance fun combo. Get a GTI 130 1.5 l . Fill all the ride plate and intake grate holes cuz that will take a pwc that already likes to spin and make it better. Get a V Tech tune but instead of upgrading to a 11/19 impeller like I did , stick with the stock size so that you will be using the boost in torque by the tune for snap acceleration instead of top speed that will still be a bit higher then stock .

If you want ultimate throw around, get a Spark. If you want the power to pull a couple of tubes behind you and then, once disconnected, throw yourself and the ski around, get a GTR 215. I can do flat spins, ride the ass end, jump the hell out of some wakes/waves and get from 0-60 in under 7 seconds.

Yes, a S/C ski requires more maintenance. But I'm out there to have FUN. Not to worry about spending $400 every two years on a S/C rebuild. On my GTR215, I can trim it all the way down and walk on water as I lean back. I've made it dive, do 60° turns with the impeller partially out of the water, down hard, deep spins that inundate the ski with water, so on and so forth. For sure, the Spark is a lot more "throw-able", but then it can't pull a 250lb man up on ski's either. Nor can it tow two tubes with 500lbs each on them. I also use my ski to go out into the Gulf to fish. Or fish inland waterways. IMHO, the GTR215 is the most stable do-it-all platform out there. But it's up to you. Hit up Youtube and see which ski does what YOU want to do. Don't listen to just us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back