What is this part, need help identifying ?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rogerbuhrow1100

Hi, have a 92 Seadoo XP with the white 580. In my electrical box I have a part that is fried. I attached pictures, it is the small black box with light gauge wires coming out, black, purple, orange, and white. I looked in the 92 parts fiche and didn't see it. Maybe someone put a different year electrical box on it. Want to replace the part and get this thing running. Thanks for the help.
6de4ecd07946bcf33f5dad810c12b6f7.jpg
d4afd266a79af0d0ddfb8063058cc700.jpg
11d0a8b46637778ad6084b68ea46097c.jpg

That is an adjustable rev limiter. They were popular for a while with the early DOOs. It is an aftermarket add on.

The 91 and 92 XPs had a stock rev limiter that was calibrated too close to the operating rpm and if the limiter "drifted" or the impeller had the trailing edge bend forward from rocks in the slightest then the machine would be bumping the rev limiter.

I have no idea who made it and the chances of finding might be low. If you can find a replacement, and the motor taps the limiter still, then look at the impeller for trailing edges bent forward from rocks going through the pump.

Last edited:
It has an aftermarket pipe, Coffman's the brand and a K+N filter. I bought the ski recently so I don't know what I have yet. Cleaned it up and goung through, took tanks out etc. I haven't started it yet but it would crank over inutially then it blew the 5 amp fuse on the control box and I noticed the rev limiter box starting to fry. I removed the limiter box and replaced the rectifier with a new one. When I hook up the battery the 5 amp fuse blows right away, no chance to turn the motor over, 15 amp fuse is fine. If replacing the control box will fix it, I will order one. If any of you have suggestions I will appreciate. Thanks.

The 5 amp fuse blew before I removed rev limiter or changed the rectifier. There is a white wire with 2 connectors that comes out of the solenoid that has no connections, is this correct? I can take a picture if needed.

The 5 amp fuse blew before I removed rev limiter or changed the rectifier. There is a white wire with 2 connectors that comes out of the solenoid that has no connections, is this correct? I can take a picture if needed.
Here is a picture of the white wire coming out of the connector on the solenoid.
71ccfc8c68806977869a4d0b0d23f9e9.jpg

When the 5 amp fuse blows its typically a bad MPEM. You can test by checking continuity between the MPEM ground and the 5 amp fuse. If you have continuity it’s bad.

When the 5 amp fuse blows its typically a bad MPEM. You can test by checking continuity between the MPEM ground and the 5 amp fuse. If you have continuity it’s bad.
Thanks. I ordered a new MPEM off ebay today. I will test my existing unit also, dont want to ruin the new unit. I want to check compression tomorrow. I could bypass everything and connect the battery direct to the starter to spin the engine to check compression, correct?

The solenoid needs both wires hooked up or it won't work. You need to check the manual and find out what is going on with your wiring before you do anything else. If you want to check your compression you could just jump the 2 large wires on the solenoid with a screwdriver or pliers. Might be a good idea to pull the fuses on the mpem first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back