what is inside my 1997 seadoo challenger 1800

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

eagle2mfm

hey guys im new here. I have been the owner of a 1997 challenger 1800 for three years now. i recently let a friend of mine borrow the boat, in which the the right engine got destroyed. when i took the head off it had looked like a valve had broken off and beat around in there (which there are no valves and i dont know what did it). I have been looking around for parts and i cant tell what type of engines are in my boat can you tell me? Thank you.

RAVE valve...

Your engines are the 110 hp Rotax 787cc engines. It sounds to me that you've got failure in a RAVE valve, which is a guillotine valve that controls the exhaust flow when the engine rpm is increased.

Although it doesn't happen often, they have been known to break or chip, causing this type of damage. If you look from the top of your boat toward the engine, these valves are under the small, round plastic caps with the red adjuster cap in the center.

Look at the bottom of this post, in my signature. You'll see a link "a look inside the 787". Click on it and it'll take you to my thread on which I tear one of these engines down and you can take a look at what this is and it's description.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune but it wasn't your buddies fault. This was bound to happen if you did not take it apart yearly for cleaning. This is a requirement by BRP's maintenance program and if not cleaned, the carbon build up could have helped cause the destruction. :cheers:

rebuild?

Would it be necessary for me to completely rebuild the enigne that has gone out or just a top end reuild? And what about the other engine should i replace the RAVE valve on that one also since this one has gone out? Thank you.

The amount of rebuilding depends on the amount of damage the engine has. Tear it down and see, because it might have taken out the crank as well. I would at least remove the other engine's rave valves and clean them and inspect them as well to prevent any damage on that engine.

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back