Wear Ring

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

92GTX93

I finally figured out why my wife's GTX is faster than mine. I looked underneath and the wear ring has a gouge all around the front part of it. Looks like something got stuck in there and wore out the ring. The impeller appears to be okay. I'm going to have to replace it. I'm very mechanically inclined, so it shouldn't be a problem replacing the wear ring. However, I have never played with water craft. What all do I need to replace the wear ring? Jet pump alignment tool, pullers, etc. Also, if you recommend replacing the impeller...which one offers better performance.

Impellor tool

About the only special tool you'll need to replace your wear ring is the impellor removal tool, which you can buy for less than $20 bucks. I bought mine from one of the advertisers on our main page. The one that advertises for replacement parts. The wear ring will run you about $40 bucks.
With the pump apart, this would be the perfect time to rebuild your pump. The bearings can be done without any special tools if you have some mechanical knowledge. The synthetic oil used in the housing, I also ordered when I got the tool.
I replaced my impellor through SBT. With a rebuildable core, the impellor cost me $25. There impellors meet the OEM specifications......didn't think I could go wrong there.
If you don't have a manual, you'll probably want one if your gonna do the bearings. You really don't need one for the wearing ring. I can walk you through that one pretty easily through the forum.
Good luck and let me know if you need any help!

About the only special tool you'll need to replace your wear ring is the impellor removal tool, which you can buy for less than $20 bucks. I bought mine from one of the advertisers on our main page. The one that advertises for replacement parts. The wear ring will run you about $40 bucks.
With the pump apart, this would be the perfect time to rebuild your pump. The bearings can be done without any special tools if you have some mechanical knowledge. The synthetic oil used in the housing, I also ordered when I got the tool.
I replaced my impellor through SBT. With a rebuildable core, the impellor cost me $25. There impellors meet the OEM specifications......didn't think I could go wrong there.
If you don't have a manual, you'll probably want one if your gonna do the bearings. You really don't need one for the wearing ring. I can walk you through that one pretty easily through the forum.
Good luck and let me know if you need any help!
Great! Thanks for the info. I actually already have the synthetic oil and the manual. I will get the impellor from SBT, and the rest of if from the Jetmechanic. What type of material is used to seal the assembly to the fiberglass?

Pump seal!

There is a round, flat, rubber washer type gasket that's mated to your ride plate. When you remove the pump, be careful not to rip or remove that gasket. I think it's more for vibration than as a seal.
I use regular silicone sealant on my pump. Reason is it provides a great water tight seal and it remains fairly pliable in the even you ever need to take it off again.
When you get the pump off and you have your impellor removal tool, you'll need to heat up the center of the impellor for just a minute or two with a butane torch (get it from Walmart) so that you can break the Loctite bond. Then it should come right off. When your ready to take out the old wearing ring, you can use a Dremel tool to cut through the fiberglass of the old ring and remove it. You have to be careful not to cut into your casing. Then, put some soapy water on your new one, lay it on the housing evenly and lay a 2X4 across it and gently tap it down with a hammer, evenly all the way around until it's seated. It's that easy.............

impeller issues

hey guys, new to the forum and jet skis, just bought mine in july...

a buddy of mine was riding one and got to close to the beach and sucked up a rock in the impeller. now the ski just doesn't jump out of the water like it used to and can't do 360's anymore. if you floor the throttle, you can hear the engine trying to work but just feels like it's skipping a bit. what could possibly be wrong with this and how much would it cost to fix? any recommendations for dealers in Houston, Tx?

Also, what stuff should i do once i'm done riding them for the winter and gonna put them in storage. I see people talk about "winterizing" their skis but i just want to be sure. How much should i expect to pay for this?

thanks in advance for all the help!!!

First let me say welcome to the forum! I would check the impeller for any damage. If your not sure what your looking for, you might want to join as a premium member and download a manual for your specific doo. Click on the seadoo manual section at the top of forum and it will explain all you have to do. It isn't free but it is a huge bargin compared to what a shop manual costs these days ...if you can find one. It will describe how to check out the jet pump and the clearence around the impeller, if you want to repair it yourself, like alot of owners do, it will tell you what tools are needed and the proceedure. The manual also has a section on winterizeing and storing for a duration of time. It has lots of info all direct from Seadoo. Good luck, and let us know if we can help with anything else or if you have any more questions. I find people here are friendly and always availiable to help.
Karl

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it pretty time consuming tracking down the parts and doing repairs and winterization on your own. also, i read the "how to" on winterizing and i'm not familiar with a lot of the terms and the details behind each step. Do the manuals accessible to platinum members explain everything in detail?

Yes, they are right from Seadoo. These are authenic manuals. You can contact the seadoo dealers that sponser this forum for prices and look at the parts diagram that they supply on line. Some are less expensive than local dealers and ship out pretty fast. The second option is contact your local seadoo dealer and order from them. You can locate one if your not sure of where thay are by clicking on, locate dealer at the direct seadoo.com website. The manuals give you step by step proceedure on removal and replacement of parts...I think of it as a "bible" for seadoo repair. If you get in a jam you can always post a thread about your problem and we will help you in any way we can. People here are friendly, Knowledgable and egar to help. The price or the manuals also is a bargin on this site, as you can acess any of them if you want, for 1 fee per month.You can do a comparison of other seadoos and parts as relation to your doo, to see what is interchangable or not. Included is everything from torque specs to wire diagrams. If you are looking for a specific manual not posted, you can post a request and usually it is on line in a couple days. Click on the seadoo manuals link at the top of the page for more info.
Karl

Manuals...

The manuals do expain all these procedures in detail as Karl has said. Removing the pump to install a new wear ring and if necessary, replace your bearings, is a fairly easy to do repair if your just somewhat knowledgeable of mechanics.
If you decide to take on this project as a premium member, please let me know. I just rebuilt my pump this past season and only had to order one special tool. With a manual in front of you, I'll be able to tell you which tools you don't need and what I used in their place. Saves a lot of money. As for the repairs.......about $40 for a wear ring and if the impellor took a mean lick, then you can get a OEM remanufactured for $25, plus shipping and handling.
Welcome to the forum, glad your hear. Have anymore question, there are many Seadoo family members here to help you.......:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back