Wear Ring Replacement

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JPass

Gonna replace the wear rings in our 2012 210 SE after the holidays. Found these and was wondering if there's any reason NOT to buy them.

Appreciate the feedback.

210 SE Wear Ring

Buy OEM or you could be really sorry. I bought aftermarket wear rings for my 2007 Speedster and they were both a bad fit. Not bad enough to notice with the eye but when you try to seat the wear rings, it could be extremely difficult and you also may not get uniform clearance around the prop.

We have the OEMs and can give free shipping. I think they are $68.99 let me know and I can get a for sure price.

We have the OEMs and can give free shipping. I think they are $68.99 let me know and I can get a for sure price.

I'll need 2. So best price shipped with any forum or holiday discounts would be great too. PM the pricing if you want.

Thanks

Anyone have experience with the stainless ones? I bought an OEM ring, and it lasted less than 1 season. I don't remember any particular incidents that would have damaged this this badly, but the boat cavitates something fierce now... I do have a new carbon seal, and the prop was in good shape when I installed the new wear ring. It took off like a bat out of hell with new ring...

stainless wear rings will last better than plastic if your in water with a lot of debris in it like small sticks/twigs but if your having issues because your sucking up small stones/shells the plastic ones are better to have in my opinion because they are more forgiving on the impeller, if you have a stone jammed in the pump with a stainless wear ring it can bend the impeller easier where a plastic wear ring may give more and not damage the impeller.

IDoSeaDoo I noticed that you did a engine swap project with a 03 gtx s/c do you still have a plastic pump on that? if so check your wear ring, those plastic pumps used to warp over time, once the pump warps then it wears the wear ring in two spots typically because the impeller is tilted in the pump, the stator in the pump flexes in the pump under heavy loads and eventually stays in that position, people replace the wear ring and it may work well for a short time and then it starts to cavitate again, the only way to fix it is to replace it with a cast aluminum pump

stainless wear rings will last better than plastic if your in water with a lot of debris in it like small sticks/twigs but if your having issues because your sucking up small stones/shells the plastic ones are better to have in my opinion because they are more forgiving on the impeller, if you have a stone jammed in the pump with a stainless wear ring it can bend the impeller easier where a plastic wear ring may give more and not damage the impeller.

IDoSeaDoo I noticed that you did a engine swap project with a 03 gtx s/c do you still have a plastic pump on that? if so check your wear ring, those plastic pumps used to warp over time, once the pump warps then it wears the wear ring in two spots typically because the impeller is tilted in the pump, the stator in the pump flexes in the pump under heavy loads and eventually stays in that position, people replace the wear ring and it may work well for a short time and then it starts to cavitate again, the only way to fix it is to replace it with a cast aluminum pump
Nope, it's a cast pump. I usually don't run it in areas shallow enough to suck up rocks. I hear it when I do, and I can't recall any such occurrences with the new wear ring. It is possible I rode in a lake with twigs and stuff floating, as that is the case any time it rains hard in NC. I'll be riding it in the salt now (intercoastal and some ocean on calm days) pretty much 100% of the time. You guys think I should give the OE ring one more chance? It would be cheaper, and I may be selling the boat soon to go twin-engine. Now that I'm in South FL, the Bahamas are calling me.

I have sucked up small branches and pieces of wood in 40 ft of water and damaged wear rings so you don’t need to be in shallow water to pick something up, the times I have sucked something up it would have saved me buying a new wear ring if I had a stainless wear ring but I still had to pull the pump off to get the wood off of the edge of the impeller. I never used an aftermarket wear ring before so I can’t really comment about them as far as fit and durability. When people ask about stainless wear rings I want them to understand the advantages and disadvantages of both.

I am starting to feel like it's REALLY easy to damage a wear ring. I mean, this thing didn't even last a season, and I wasn't being stupid with it or anything! I wish I'd put a SS one last time, and fear I might be wishing this again if I replace it with plastic. Strangely, the rings on my skis seemed to last several seasons, and they get beached more than the boat.

they are pretty easy to damage but more common when going slow than up on plane, its just bad luck. no reason the boat would suck something up more than a ski other than you can't see stuff as easy to avoid on a boat. I have seen wear ring damage or just cavitation issues from things like nut shells or plastic bottle caps, I even sucked up a pair of jean shorts once.

XD I'm laughing picturing the frustration of digging someone's levis out of your pump tunnel. Thinking about all the random shit floating around out there makes me lean more toward SS ring. Since it floats, it's probably soft enough to get chewed up by the impeller. As long as I keep an eye on the depth finder and am not being a dumbass, I should be fine much longer than with a plastic ring.

Last edited:
XD I'm laughing picturing the frustration of digging someone's levis out of your pump tunnel. Thinking about all the random shit floating around out there makes me lean more toward SS ring. Since it floats, it's probably soft enough to get chewed up by the impeller. As long as I keep an eye on the depth finder and am not being a dumbass, I should be fine much longer than with a plastic ring.

well at the time I wasn't sure what was going on because I lost drive on both engines (it was a 95 speedster with a single water intake for the jet pumps) I was able to limp it back to the boat ramp and pull it out of the water, when I looked underneath I found them just hanging from the intake grate, so they weren't hard to remove but it sure made me think about what else is floating around out there! lol

I think for the most part the stainless wear rings are a good way to go, I have wrecked a few wear rings and if I has stainless ones in those cases I don't think I would have had any damage to worry about.

Stainless is a better way to go. OEM Yamaha, Kawasaki, Polaris, Tigershark, Wetjet and Hydrospace all use stainless liners. When rocks go through them, only the impeller needs repairing. On a Sea-Doo, the impeller needs repairing and usually, a new wear ring, increasing the cost.

Chester

I guess it really depends on the waters you ride in. We've had our boat for 3 years and never had any issues sucking up rocks or debris. We use in fresh and salt and never had an issue. Changed my wear rings out to OEM plastic after 3 seasons and the originals looked fine (normal wear). Impellers were in great shape as well.

If you're riding in areas where you suck up more debris, then SS may be for you. If you're in sandy areas and don't have issues with sucking things up, then I'd stay OEM plastic.

Nah, I'm sold on SS. If your pump eats something to where it destroys the wear ring, the prop probably has to get sent off too. Why force yourself to replace two things. Wear ring costs just as much as sending off a prop. Plastic ring essentially doubles your pump maintenance costs and labor. I no longer see any benefit to having plastic.

I replaced the stock ring with a stainless on recommendation of the repair shop, the mechanic at Jet Ski Repair Shop in St Pete FL convinced me that the stainless was for sure the way to go. He also equated it to if you get anything major sucked into the pump the stainless would limit the amount of damage. He said unless you get a shell sucked in there, the shells will ruin the stainless. I also swapped out the prop for a Solas at the same time, never had any problems with either one. IMG_0516.JPG

I replaced the stock ring with a stainless on recommendation of the repair shop, the mechanic at Jet Ski Repair Shop in St Pete FL convinced me that the stainless was for sure the way to go. He also equated it to if you get anything major sucked into the pump the stainless would limit the amount of damage. He said unless you get a shell sucked in there, the shells will ruin the stainless. I also swapped out the prop for a Solas at the same time, never had any problems with either one. View attachment 34139

How does the Solas do? Any difference that you can tell?

How does the Solas do? Any difference that you can tell?[/QUOTE]

None that I can tell. I went with the Solas because it’s very sharp on The leading edge and it should help limit the amount of problems caused by pieces of seaweed which is the main concern (after rope) for problems on the water here in Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back