Wear ring getting eaten up

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

n-mod

My 04 sportster 4-tec continuously needs new wear rings. I can get about 5 good days of boating on one before it is scored and causes cavitation. What could be the cause of this? I am not very nice on the boat so maybe its just normal wear from debris, but what else could cause this?

I think next time I am going to get a stainless wear ring, but I read they should be installed with a solid front engine mount. Can anyone verify this is required and where do I get one of them?

I'm starting to think maybe its the plastic pump causing the issues. I know these boats put a ton more stress on the pumps than a ski would.

i cant see any point in putting a ss wear ring in when its chewing though that many plastic ones, you'll most likely damage the impeller as well.
have you checked your drive shaft alignment, is it a plastic or metal pump (not sure but some of the earlier ones have retaining screws on the wear ring), is the impeller damaged?

The impeller is in great shape. I think the damage might be caused by small debris from the Mississippi river which would flow through the stainless ring no problem like my kawasaki skis, but since its soft plastic it gets hung up and rips into the ring.

I have not checked drive shaft alignment. I think I will check for broken engine mounts tomorrow. And I'm pretty sure mine has the retaining screws in the wear ring

Alignment, mounts, pump bearings all need checked. If those are not perfect then no wear ring will solve the issue. Further, if you install a SS ring and have an issue that is not resolved the repair is very expensive as there is no give.

I got a stainless wear ring and it solved all my issues. About as good as I have ever had the boat.

Now I am looking for even more low end power. My impeller probably should be rebuilt because I have sharpened/repaired it so many times myself.

I have a spare 11-18 impeller that should fit, but will that give me any more low end power or is the stock 13-23 better? I don't care at all about top end.

Hi n-mod
Don't recommend the ss ring. Knowing you have a plastic one in there and thats the weak point is piece of mind. By increasing its strength you transfer the weak point to impeller maybe shaft. I have a friend with a ski that had ss ring in it when he bought it. Cost him a small fortune when he sucked up debris over time. Ring still looked great. Impeller not so much, and further to that chewed spline on shaft as well. Needless to say he replaced impeller, shaft and PLASTIC ring.
For me, knowing I can get aftermarket rings for under $40 and it will take about 1.5hrs to change is fantastic piece of mind. When she starts to cavitate I know what the issue is, and not having that fear of pulling it apart and finding expensive bits need replacing.
Just my 2c worth. Hope it helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand why people don't like the stainless rings, but all the other companies use a stainless ring and they don't seem to have many issues. I have stand up Kawasakis with stainless rings and have never had a problem with them. Impellers are in fantastic shape and I abuse the skis running up on beaches and such. I will take the chances with the stainless ring so I don't have to keep replacing the plastic one every few hours. The Mississippi river is not good on boats.

Please keep me informed of how things go.. who knows maybe you may convert me to try at least.

I just wanted to update this about the Stainless wear rings. Do not use stainless in a plastic pump. I believe the pump flexes and rubs the impeller against the wear-ring. I have experienced multiple impellers now with shrunken outside diameters.

Anyone want to buy a stainless wear ring?

Last edited:
I too have a 2004 Sportster 4tec with a plastic pump, drives me crazy that the pump flexes and wears two opposite sides of the ring. I was tossing around the idea to replace it with a SS ring, but glad to hear advice against it. I do plan on replacing this plastic pump with an aluminum one in the near future which should solve the issue. Have not yet got to the point of research on which aluminum pump models would fit our boats.

Does anyone out there know offhand which aluminum pumps will fit the early 4tec sportster models? I would like a part number cross reference or model of ski-boat that came with aluminum pumps that would fit. Any help is appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back