Water in engine

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jonF

Hi everyone, first time posting here. A bit of back story. I bought this boat recently as a non worker. The port engine I have working, the Starboard is full of milky water/oil. I tried turning over the engine to clear it but the milky stuff doesn't seem to stop. I do not have water attached to the motor. I want to try and clear this engine and fire it up. I don't think a compression test will work with all the milk in it. I will buy a gasket kit and tear it apart, but would like to do a compression and leak test before stripping it to be sure of what I should do inside.
Any thoughts on how to proceed? Should I remove the exhaust first? Where could the water be coming from? How long should it take to clear a wet motor? I have cranked it for probably a minute in total but no reduction in milk yet. I was considering removing the carbs and filling the crank with WD40 and sucking out what I can from each cylinder. Is this crazy talk?

The real question is how long has the water been in it. If it is longer than a day or two the bearings are already on their way out.

The only way the remove the water is to keep cranking it with the plugs out and giving the starter time to cool down. It will take tens of minutes not just a minute. Then a little pre-mix down the carbs and keep pulling the plugs to clean the water off that will bridge the plug gap. Do this over and over until it finally runs. It is a slow and frustrating process.

I was afraid this was the answer. Not only slow but also very messy. I will keep trying. I would at least like to get it to fire before I pull it apart. I will hopefully get it running and do the leak and compression tests before the full tear down. this site has been great and has answered most of my questions already. I have dealt with flooded outboards in the past and had good luck With those I pull the reed blocks and can get right at the crank to get a good clean out. Also doing the test should help me to figure out how the water got in there. I am hoping the PO ran it around on one engine and filled it with water.

JonF have you had any luck yet? I am in the same situation with my 99 GSX. However, i have no power. i am turning the pulley by hand. so much water is coming out.

It sometimes helps to keep a finger or a rag over one of the plug holes to create a little extra suction on the other side. You’ll have to keep switching back and forth like that until it dries out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back