Water Control Valve Springs

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
There appears to be more than one water control valve spring that get installed on the skis. Having a number of skis around and a number of water control valves in my stash I can say with conviction.... these are very inconsistant. I disassembled the valves on 3 different GTX skis to take a look at the springs. I find a 1-3/4" long (heavier material) spring and a 2" long spring with noticably thicker spring material. I'd like to identify the correct spring for the application.

Water Control Valve Springs.JPEG

Following for education purposes. I've noticed the same on my junk
I wish there was a Great Kahuna that knew all and could answer all our questions..... "correctly and unbiased" that is. :D :D
On the 2004 GTI LE RFI the long spring was in that water control valve
On my wife's GTX the short spring is in there.
I checked the valves on (3) 951 water control valves and it was a split decision. So nothing definitive in looking at 6 of these.

In looking at the springs the length and diameter of the material.... WHAT IF.... both perform the job equally well.? I am looking at parts lists but having trouble finding the spring. I'll order one just to see what is the correct one. :)

All these questions stem from my data on engine RPM. Our skis 1996/1997 GTXs drop RPM yet the top speed doesn't change. Currently both our skis are at 6500RPM. In the cool spring water in a different location my wife's ski top RPM was 6800. I don't ride these skis much but I will take them to another location and test.

I am actually wondering of the water where I test is part or all of the issue. It is a diversion canal 7 miles long wth a lot of swamp type grass and underwater growth. Perhaps the water is more viscous. I tested a 787 RFI recently and it registered 45mph. I figured I'd be going into the WCV on that one. The owner said she is seeing 52mph. She is closer to the coast and rides in a river and in the Gulf fo Mexico. Strange stuff. I'm taking my skis out there in the next week to see what they do. I can guarantee my two GTXs are spot on together and everything has been done to them. Wife's engine has 25 hours on it... mine has about 2 hours on it. I haven't held mine wide open for very long being new and all that but I had to test it.

I have noticed something similar on my gsxl, air temp of 70 below 6900 to 6980 top rpm. 75 to 85, around 6850. 85 and up 6750 to 6830.

Lots of this comes from racing Colder air intake leads to better combustion,,,the cooler the temp of the motor to a certain point,,,the more efficient the motor performs,,,which is why you find the air intake hoses on seadoos at the bottom of the hull,

Air Temp was 92 -93 degrees. I'll be doing some testing for sure. :D I am researching spring part numbers and applications. I even seeing different part numbers on the WCV from different years. I can't imagine which parts are different or how they are made different. the 97 spring has a different part number than the 96. The 96 and the 2004 GTI RFI use the same WCV spring. I'm also look at the orifice size going into the water box. I did tell my cousin... I'm gonna put a butterfly valve on that line and control the water flow to see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back